Home Forums General Discussion Update on Relapse – All Good

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    whaleharbor
    Keymaster

About a year ago I turned to you all here at the RBF forum for help with a major relapse that I had. I think that the relapse occurred for 2 reasons (1) a change in generic minocycline…the one I had taken for years was no longer available and (2) a most horrible stressful situation that I was going through – big big big stress…not little every day stress…big life shocking stressful junk. Anyhow, I tried the Actavis brand generic and was able to find a local pharmacy (not a big box pharmacy) that is able to supply me with the Actavis (now owned by Teva) brand and slowly…ever so slowly…things have gotten much better.I went through a similar herxing process as I did the first time I took the minocycline. I’m still on more celebrex that I was on previously but back down to one 100mg minocycline with food every other day…like I was before. It’s taken over a year to get to this place. I’d say I’m about 90% of where I was before…almost back to remission. Plus I’ve done some other things…I’ve purposely protected myself from as much stress and strife as possible. Which, is not easy to do…life is life…but I have to protect myself because I will absolutely flare with stress and/or conflict. The other thing that has helped me is I’ve been drinking one cup of chamomile/peppermint tea every evening. I get them from Traditional Medicinals. I think one should check with their doctor before adding any herbal teas as they could interfere with all kinds of medications and I’m no doctor and I know nothing…so do your own due diligence and get permission from your doctor before doing anything. For me, the chamomile and peppermint have helped my stress levels and they are both anti-inflammatory. I found several studies, shared them with my doctor and he gave me the go-ahead. He probably thinks I’m crazy for checking every little thing, but hey…it’s my health here, I can’t take chances.

Bottom line, if you are in a flare/relapse after years of remission (I had been in remission I think about 10 years), here is my message to you. Don’t freak out. There is a way back. If you were in remission once you can get there again. It might be a hard fight again, but least now you know how to get there…the road back again to health maybe as difficult as it was the first time but you are strong and there is hope. Hang in there. You got this.

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

Maz
    Keymaster

This is such GREAT news, Whaleharbor! Thanks so much for sharing what has worked for you to regain remission. It’s just nuts how a generic change can upset the apple cart and totally with you re: the stress factor.

Spiffy1

Thanks for the inspiring words and advice. We are about to make a big move and I am so aware that I need to make it as stress free as possible. The way I look at my RA factor is like a snake coiled around my arm quietly looking at my face. As long as I stay calm the snake will stay calm. If I get anxious/stressed then the snake starts to react. The secret is learning how to relax with a snake around your arm. This is how I explain it sometimes. People who do not fear their immune systems may not be able to grasp some of the feelings. So congratulations for taming your snake….again! Put that baby back to sleep!

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

CMS12
    Participant

Great News. I went through exactly the same thing. At the same time I was switched to generic from brand Minocin my mother was dying. The only reason I knew it was the generic and not just stress was because it happened a second time after my mother had been dead for a year. Like you, it took a full year on brand before I returned to almost normal. Never did get back to remission like before, but I learned so much during that 2 year process. I did find one generic that worked which was good. Listening to the wisdom on this board helped me survive the tough times. So glad to hear you are back on track Whaleharbor.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.