Home Forums General Discussion switching to Doxycycline

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    lemons
    Participant

If, in the future I have to switch to Doxy (not through choice) as its easier to obtain than Minocin without a prescription. What is the usual dosage ?

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

The dose is exactly the same.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

lemons
    Participant

Thanks Phil, Im on Minocin M/W/F 100mg at the moment. I thought Doxy wasn’t as potent so I would need to double up.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

Yes, in the experience of many people, doxy seems less potent than mino, though that may not be true in all cases. How well are you tolerating 100mg of Minocin on M/W/F ?

I can see how it might be difficult to obtain Minocin without a prescription. However, since it is possible to obtain other “makes” of minocycline without a prescription, I am not sure why you would feel the need to switch to doxycycline.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

lemons
    Participant

Phil, Im having no problems with Minocin whatsoever, but in the UK Minocin and the generics are harder to obtain than Doxy. That aside, I have a years supply of Doxy in my bedside cabinet sitting there doing nothing.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Whilst both doxycycline and minocycline are 2nd generation tetracyclines, mino is the later drug, has greater lipid solubility and ability to cross the blood-brain barrier (hence why it can cause inter-cranial pressure in some people). They do have other differences including what pathogens they target. Hence why different people have different responses to them. There’s a layperson’s explanation of all the differences at the wise geek site.
    http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-the-difference-between-minocycline-and-doxycycline.htm
    one point to note: I think he is wrong about doxy and calcium supplements and calcium-rich food. I believe none of the tetras should be taken with those as they will tend to bind with them

My understanding is that doxy has tended to be the preferred tetra used in Lyme treatment protocols because it can be used in larger dosages – and it also has anti-protozoal properties), mino has tended to be preferred for RA treatments that are based on antibiotics. But, like everything else, one size does not fit all!

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,
    @lemons wrote:

Phil, Im having no problems with Minocin whatsoever, but in the UK Minocin and the generics are harder to obtain than Doxy. That aside, I have a years supply of Doxy in my bedside cabinet sitting there doing nothing.

In that case, you would likely have little or no trouble tolerating 100 mg of doxycycline taken every day.

Something you may not have considered is that one can take both doxy and mino concurrently (usually on different days). So that’s another approach that you might want to consider.

Some previous discussion that may be helpful:
    Is It OK to Combine Doxycycline & Minocycline?

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Margaret Mueller
    Participant

Dear Lynnie,

Since I began taking the Doryx two days a week and the minocycline five days a week, I also noticed that if I cut all milk products or calcium enriched foods (such as almond milk or soy milk) than my flares ceased and my calcinosis tumors seemed to dissolve faster (still a snail’s pace, but faster).

Margaret

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

a very interesting (and good) side benefit Margaret!

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Karel
    Participant

Lemons, I have also for a years ABX under my bed, Minocycline in my case, because my rheumy prescribed 200 mg/day 7 days a week. I am taking only M/W/F currently. The problem is that they can turn pretty toxic after expiration (mine are dated not to be used a year after I got them).
    From Wiki: “The breakdown products of tetracyclines are toxic and can cause Fanconi Syndrome, a potentially fatal disease affecting proximal tubular function in the nephrons of the kidney. Prescriptions of these drugs should be discarded once expired because they can cause hepatotoxicity.”

Anybody who has more info on the expiration/toxicity of doxy and mino in general, please let me know.

lemons
    Participant

@Karel wrote:

Lemons, I have also for a years ABX under my bed, Minocycline in my case, because my rheumy prescribed 200 mg/day 7 days a week. I am taking only M/W/F currently. The problem is that they can turn pretty toxic after expiration (mine are dated not to be used a year after I got them).
    From Wiki: “The breakdown products of tetracyclines are toxic and can cause Fanconi Syndrome, a potentially fatal disease affecting proximal tubular function in the nephrons of the kidney. Prescriptions of these drugs should be discarded once expired because they can cause hepatotoxicity.”

Anybody who has more info on the expiration/toxicity of doxy and mino in general, please let me know.

Hello Karel, stored correctly in a cool, dark place the ABX should be ok for two to three years after the date of manufacture. I would throw them out when they reach expiry date. Many years ago I worked in a hospital pharmacy and we would recommend that the ABX should be discarded after 6 months, this was playing it very safe just in case they weren’t being stored correctly. My stash of doxy doesn’t expire till October 2016.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Karel,
    @Karel wrote:

I remember researching this. Because of its chemical structure, the above does not apply to doxycycline. Unfortunately, it does apply to minocycline.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

PhilC
    Participant

@lemons wrote:

Hello Karel, stored correctly in a cool, dark place the ABX should be ok for two to three years after the date of manufacture. I would throw them out when they reach expiry date. Many years ago I worked in a hospital pharmacy and we would recommend that the ABX should be discarded after 6 months, this was playing it very safe just in case they weren’t being stored correctly. My stash of doxy doesn’t expire till October 2016.

Unfortunately, many (most?) people don’t know what the manufacturer’s expiration date is for the prescription medications they take. For most of my prescriptions, the expiration date is one year from the date the prescription was filled. But that’s not the manufacturer’s expiration date. Back in October one of my prescriptions came in the original, sealed bottle. The prescription label reads “USE BEFORE 10/16/14” (i.e., 16-Oct-2014). I carefully peeled off the label in order to expose the manufacturer’s expiration date, which is 12/2015 — more than a year later.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

notabene
    Participant

Phil, Lemons and everyone –

Thanks for your tip Phil. I have two Watson minocycline in their original bottles. The pharmacy discard date is May 10, 2014, while the manufacturer’s date is June 2015. I assume that I have some time to use them up.

I have some Watson minocycline with a pharmacy discard date of November 14, 2013 – just 4 months ago. Not in the original bottle. Would this be safe to use up in your opinion, given what you (and now I) have observed about the manufacturer’s expiration date? I thought about taking one mino with a future discard date and one with an expired pharmacy discard date per day, since I am still on a twice daily 100 mg regimen.

Your thoughts welcome.

lemons
    Participant

Hello notabene. I would not use the minocycline that is not in the original container. If this drug has already been decanted it could contain drugs from several different bottles with varying expiry dates.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.