Home Forums General Discussion Supplements for menopause, advice please.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    lemons
    Participant

Can anyone recommend a supplement that is safe to take alongside Minocin for hot flushes ? In the past month the menopause is really kicking in, and at night and during the day Im now having many hot flushes. Its worst at night, as I am boiling up and drenched with sweat. Im not enjoying my forties πŸ™

Maz
    Keymaster

@lemons wrote:

Can anyone recommend a supplement that is safe to take alongside Minocin for hot flushes ? In the past month the menopause is really kicking in, and at night and during the day Im now having many hot flushes. Its worst at night, as I am boiling up and drenched with sweat. Im not enjoying my forties πŸ™

Lemons, I was unable to find any supps that alleviated the hot flashes/night sweats to any significant extent. My doc did saliva testing for me and discovered my hormones were so low that he has me on bio-identical topical progesterone. It took a few months to get my levels balanced, but gradually I began noticing big changes. Now I sleep through the night without having the Shroud of Turin imprint on the sheets and don’t suffer with unrelenting day sweats either. I get the occasional hot flash, but it’s so much more tolerable now. Hormones seem to get so disrupted with a lot of rheumatic patients. Even men find that they have low testosterone and that hormone supplementation can make a difference to their pain levels (though there can be risks to prostate health). Thyroid and adrenals are also worth having checked, because adrenal fatigue (also common) can set off thyroid probs and autoimmune thyroid overlaps also frequently occur with rheumatic diseases. Gluten can be an offender, as when a person is intolerant of gluten, it increases inflam in response to this. As thyroid tissue is perceived similarly to gluten, the body then goes after the thyroid in a kind of molecular mimicry vicious cycle. You can read about this online, if interested, but folks have been able to calm thyroid imbalances by eliminating gluten from their diets.

Trudi
    Participant

When I was doing the borax protocol, I noticed that my hot flashes stopped. The main component of borax is boron, which is supposed to balance hormones. There are many references of this on the Internet–here is one–
    http://www.natural-hormones.net/estrogen/articles/b-nutrients-that-balance-estrogen-naturally.htm

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Lemons
    Whilst low oestrogen is stated to be the primary culprit in night sweats, a lot of holistic docs believe that to be false. Mine remitted when I started bio-identical progesterone. You will need an rx for this, the OTC versions (made from wild yams) are not broken down so are not able to be absorbed by the body.
    Incidentally, I was on the bio-identical progesterone cream for several years before being switched to a troche (oral version that you let dissolve through the lining of the mouth). After a few years on the cream, it apparently stops working because the fat cells fill up with it. Just something to be aware of if you start with a topical.

Good article here that talks about why it is bio-identical progesterone that works:

http://www.judytsafrirmd.com/the-power-of-bio-identical-progesterone/

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

sandrabonfield
    Participant

hello Lemons

I too take Bio-Identical hormones.I began doing this when I lived in aAmerica in my forties, so have been doing this for over ten years.. I first learnt about this from a book I read by Suzanne Somers, she has written many books on this, also diet cancer etc. Many believe that she is too over the top but I have learnt a lot from her, and her strength I believe, was to bring this issue into the public arena.
    I believe that balancing hormones is so important, and that it is key to being healthy. When we are in our early twenties, most of us do not have some of the illnesses or problems that seem to occur as we get older e.g. thyroid, cholesterol, heart disease etc.
    Many believe the key to optimal health is to heave your hormones perfectly balanced.
    It has been life changing for me. However it was more difficult to continue with this in the UK, as there are fewer people doing this, and the ones that do are expensive.The initial blood tests are expensive but the treatment is not as bad. I take a lozenge, which has estradial,progesterone, dhea and testosterone which is made up just for me.

I would never have the hormones or patches given by the Doctor, Hope this helps in some way. Once my hormones were balanced, I then only did a blood test every years, unless I felt something had changed.
    I always find that if I have a flare, my hormones go out of sync.
    Again as so many things we do, this types of treatment is not in the mainstream, in fact I know do not really talk about it to the Doctors I see, as they think I am crazy??

lemons
    Participant

Thank you for all the tips and I have ordered a tube of some cream that’s meant to be good for menopausal hot flushes / flashes. If after a month I find myself sporting a beard and chest hair, I am holding you all accountable . I received a letter on Thursday, from the odious rheumatologist that I had the misfortune to have been referred to last year. The hospital wants me to go for an appointment next month. I dont know if I should go or not. The letter caused so much stress that I swear it induced a very weird flare. I woke up yesterday feeling a bit grotty and my left elbow wouldn’t bend, no pain, just wouldn’t bend. Today I am fine, a little lower back and hip tenderness but elbow back to normal πŸ˜•

sandrabonfield
    Participant

I just have to say, that you really make me laugh, and I appreciate your sense of humour. If I were you I would go to the appointment together with your before and after bloodwork results. Be nice, and listen to why he he requested he see you. You may hopefully not but , there may come a time when you need him.
    After he has finished, you could then tell him mino is working, your bloods have improved etc .Yu know how the NHS works so keep every door open. If you were in the USA I would say definitely don’t go see him, as you would be able to choose someone else, more easily x

A Friend
    Participant

Lemons,
    I began taking Magnesium Chloride in a preparation known as “MagChlor90.” My primary care physician suggested I get and read Dr. Sherry Rogers’ book, Detoxify or Die, at my first visit. (I was not having hot flashes, but needed it for another purpose, to help get my pH in better balance as I was as acidic as the strips measured. This particular product (I read in the book) was the strongest magnesium available without getting IVs; and Dr. Rogers had suggested sources for her recommended products in the back of her book. She said she got no compensation for this, but wanted her patients to get good products. The product worked well for the purpose I began taking it.

I also read that this form of magnesium was good for hot flashes. My older daughter had been complaining about having really bad hot flashes, and I mentioned it to her, and she began taking it. She said it greatly helped with the hot flashes, and that was several years ago now. People (especially women) take a lot of calcium these days. I read that taking too much calcium EDIT: without also taking enough magnesium causes magnesium depletion because they work in tandem for quite a number of functions in the body. The source of the MagChlor is from Pain & Stress Center in San Antonio, Texas. I’ve found that ordering three bottles at a time saves a good bit in shipping charges incurred when one at a time is ordered, plus there is a discount on the product when 3 are ordered. A search for the name of the Center will find the link.

I add a dropperful of it to a small juice glass of pure water with a teaspoon of lemon juice, a bit of Kal stevia to sweeten it, and my powdered Vitamin C. Tastes like lemonade, and over a few years now it has helped balance my pH, which was as acidic as the strips measured when my body was using up existing magnesium to neutralize the acidic wastes before being excreted through the kidneys. It can be taken twice a day, but suggest taking it well away from AP/Minocin, etc.

AF

lemons
    Participant

Sandra, this tiny little man with an enormous ego is vile and I cant be nice. He struts around in undersized nylon pants tailored like those worn by a matador. When I hear the click of his Cuban heels echoing down the hospital corridors I break out in a menopausal sweat. The nurses there all think he is Gods gift and so does he and I find it baffling, as his hair piece is never inline with his head. As for his side kick ” Matron” , she lectured me on the benefits of nutrition and weight management, which I thought was rich coming from a woman that looked like the only trip on foot she had ever made was to the refridgerator. I will go though, as I am now not the scared and frightened patient I was last year and I am more read up on everything. I am annoyed with myself though as I did have private medical insurance a couple of years back but cancelled it due to the expense. Again, thank you for the advice and thank you also to ” A Friend ” for suggesting Magnesium . I will now add that to my ever increasing collection of supplements. X

A Friend
    Participant

@lemons wrote:

Lemons,

I responded to your topic about menopause supplements. Just saw notice of posts here. Some posted about prescription hormone replacement. I’ll share my experience with RX replacement. A few years ago, a close friend had been seeing a respected physician who had long been a Critical Care Physician, and desired to change from that field after many years. It’s easy to understand why she would desire a change. After much study, she was prepared to practice in the area of hormone replacement. I first saw her then.

I had had suspicious radiological films, so had no idea if I would even be a candidate, but the call and discussion encouraged my making an appt. Was thought this might help resolve some issues. I made an appointment for further discussion. She told me that as a matter of fact, I was a candidate for hormone replacement, with a compounded form that would bypass my gut system by using a troche that could be absorbed sublingually into the system. I began using them for at least two years (unsure of length of time)– and only had to see her once a year. When I called for the last annual appt., she was relocating to the Kansas City area. I was very disappointed, as this really had been making numerous positive differences. I had never had hot flashes, but positive physical changes were obvious to me. Even my Ob/Gyn told me he was aware of improvements in my anatomy.

(Ironically, I still have a pkg of the compounded unused ones with an RX label in a compartment in our 2nd fridge. I’d kept them in case I needed to verify the information again. The Rx was dated October 2007: 60 Prometrium 200 mg. (They are little rectangular firm lozenzes/troches that you put under your tongue to dissolve — “one troche two times a day; clove flavor.”

I just did a search for her name to see if she is still in the Kansas City area, and surprise! She shows up back in Texas about two hours away. It will be interesting to learn any continuing information.

Good luck in finding helpful information for yourself.

AF

lemons
    Participant

On the advice from ” A Friend ” for the past week I have taken magnesium and I haven’t had a hot flush / flash for three days. The weather here is hotter than Greece at the moment ( it doesn’t always rain in UK ) and Im not sweating buckets !! Thank you for the suggestion πŸ˜€

A Friend
    Participant

@lemons wrote:

On the advice from ” A Friend ” for the past week I have taken magnesium and I haven’t had a hot flush / flash for three days. The weather here is hotter than Greece at the moment ( it doesn’t always rain in UK ) and Im not sweating buckets !! Thank you for the suggestion πŸ˜€

Lemons,
    So glad the hot flashes are better. With everything else usually going on, those aren’t needed! Since magnesium helped so quickly with those, you might benefit from doing a search on magnesium in the little search window above all the topics. Especially, you might want to search Dr. Seelig’s online book for specific info. If you search the book, you might use as your search words various conditions you want to know more about related to magnesium. Magnesium is needed for hundreds of things in the body.

One correction to your message above where you wrote I had given you advice: It’s my intent to share information, and sources where I read or became aware of something — and never to give “advice.” We are all so different, and know more about ourselves than anyone else does. I don’t want the responsibility for treatment decisions for anyone, but do share information so patients can make their own/best treatment decisions.

AF

lemons
    Participant

AF, my definition or understanding of the word ” advice” is to recommend, suggest, share an opinion or to inform. Anyway it doesn’t really matter, what matters is your tip worked !! Thanks again.

A Friend
    Participant

Lemons,
    Hugs to you. Your good news made my day!

[By the way, if you ever have carpal tunnel syndrome, which this same daughter quite a number of years ago had developed. We lived many miles apart. The first I heard about her carpal tunnel problem, her doctor was wanting her to have surgery for it. I’d fairly recently found, purchased, and read a book by my grandparents’ physician in a small city the last years of their lives. The book just happened to have been about this physician’s research on carpal tunnel — and I was into our family genealogy. I would have purchased the book no matter what it had been about.

Since I was already deep into reading books (before I had a PC and was online), I had read the book by the time my daughter told me about her hand/wrist problem, and I wanted to try to determine if the doctor’s suggestion seemed ok, compared to the research. (It didn’t.) I asked her not to have the surgery until she had read the book — because the remedy for this seemed simple, and was helped by something we all need/must have anyway. I mailed the book to her. She never had the surgery, and the problem has not returned. And she uses her hands endlessly for all kinds of projects.

If you are interested OR curious about this, you might do a search in that little search window above the beginning of the posted topics, by keyboarding the words “carpal tunnel Dr Marion Ellis.” He and Dr. Karl Folkers were key researchers in this effort at the Univ. of Texas. I understand the book (by the same title anyway) is no longer in print, but their research is frequently quoted in scientific literature, etc. And sometimes on Amazon, old copies are available.]

AF

m.
    Participant

@Maz wrote:

@lemons wrote:

Lemons, I was unable to find any supps that alleviated the hot flashes/night sweats to any significant extent. My doc did saliva testing for me and discovered my hormones were so low that he has me on bio-identical topical progesterone. It took a few months to get my levels balanced, but gradually I began noticing big changes. Now I sleep through the night without having the Shroud of Turin imprint on the sheets and don’t suffer with unrelenting day sweats either. I get the occasional hot flash, but it’s so much more tolerable now. Hormones seem to get so disrupted with a lot of rheumatic patients. Even men find that they have low testosterone and that hormone supplementation can make a difference to their pain levels (though there can be risks to prostate health). Thyroid and adrenals are also worth having checked, because adrenal fatigue (also common) can set off thyroid probs and autoimmune thyroid overlaps also frequently occur with rheumatic diseases. Gluten can be an offender, as when a person is intolerant of gluten, it increases inflam in response to this. As thyroid tissue is perceived similarly to gluten, the body then goes after the thyroid in a kind of molecular mimicry vicious cycle. You can read about this online, if interested, but folks have been able to calm thyroid imbalances by eliminating gluten from their diets.

Nodding in agreement with Maz. It’s wise to get saliva tested first. Progesterone might be too low. Estrogen might be too high. Don’t guess. Find out. Milk thistle helped me bring down elevated estrogen as evidenced by follow-up testing. And, I did a series of saliva tests to check that the amount of bio-identical progesterone was not too little and not too much.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.