Home Forums General Discussion staring out…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    SJJ
    Participant

hello everyone. Here in Ontario Canada, there is an extreme shortage (read almost NONE) of AP doctors. And the ones we do have limit their AP to RA only. That being said I am kinda going about this on my own and giving lots of info to my GP printed from this website. Any advice re: blood work, scheduling etc. would be most helpful as I feel kinda blind in all this. GP is wonderful but since I would be his first and only not sure how much we will be in over our heads!! Teva is available here but not minocin, also doxy is available here but have no idea what the different generics would be or if it matters. Also what about labs? I think I would have to travel for it as none in my city test for micoplasma etc. And IVs? Should I start with that? At this point I have an undiagnosed but definite autoimmune connective tissue disease and would like to get to it before years of waiting for a ‘correct’ diagnosis that has left me with deterioration and other affects. There are indications it could be lyme (waiting for the bloodwork from that) or polychondritis but no bloodwork will show that. Any advice or opinions or experience would be more than welcome!!!
    thanks in advance

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi SJJ;
    Yes,it’s a real bummer that we don’t have any AP docs anymore.Dr. A gave me my walking papers last spring saying I did not need her anymore and her 3 year waiting list made her concentrate of those that are really sick.She told me to get my family doc to follow me and he is a real problem because he thinks she is nuts.In the end he agreed to write the prescriptions I will be needing when the ones I have end.I just hope he does not go back on his word.
    I have a great plan with Bell where I don’t pay for any calls in Canada so give me your number and I can call you,just set a time in the evening.
    Lynne

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

One more thought.Have you contacted the Canlyme site to see if there are any docs in your area.An LLMD might consider AP.

SJJ
    Participant

only LLNDs in the area and they don’t have prescribing rights. Looking into one holistic MD that would still be a drive but only about an hour away so hoping it works out!

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi SJJ,

Dr. S. In Iowa will consult with your GP to get you started.

Info for myco testing as Brown would have done it is on the main site here…you or your GP can call or email for testing kit and info on tests to run for rheumatic diseases.

https://www.roadback.org/resources/useful-contacts/

Also, has anyone checked you for HLA B37 genetic haplotype?

SJJ
    Participant

No idea what that is, how to get it done…or what it would mean if I am. Can you please illuminate me?;)

Maz
    Keymaster

No idea what that is, how to get it done…or what it would mean if I am. Can you please illuminate me?;)

It’s a blood test to check to see if you are predisposed to Reiter’s (reactive arthritis), inflammatory bowel disease, psoriatic arthritis or ankylosing spondylitis. Some of these folks experience costochondritis, but it may not be relevant in your case as you said polychondritis. It’s tricky to get a diagnosis for anyone who is seronegative and they can get dumped into any seronegative group. Yet, if the gene is present, it can assist with diagnosis.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HLA-B27

Knowing if the gene is present can also help with common bugs to test for, type of AP to pursue and necessary dietary modifications. You can use the search engine at the top of the forum to look at past postings on this topic by just typing in HLA B27

SJJ
    Participant

Unfortunatley my GP is resistant to mycoplasma testing….any suggestions? Was hoping for some positive results to help push along the AP a little quicker.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.