Home Forums General Discussion RA & OA together

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Linda L
    Participant

In our community blog Katherine Pohlmann has written that we can have RA and OA together. I have a sore knee, so it looks more like osteoarthritis or am I mistaken?

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Spiffy1

My personal belief is that all joint arthritis is inflammatory. We like to give it different names and it may show up differently on x ray, but it is inflammation. Like when women say, “Oh, my fingers ache. My doctor says I have OA.” To me that is a red flag. Why would a set of joints all just begin to wear out together by coincidence and why would finger joints wear out before the knees or whatever. I believe it is inflammatory unless it is due to an old injury which then I could see cartilage damage brought about by something external.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

richie
    Participant

Inflammation is a symptom not a cause –RA is auto immune and systemic while osteo is wear and tear and somewhat localized –Big difference —

Spiffy1

I agree. The point I am trying to make is that I think a lot of doctors will call joint pain OA and let it go at that. But when people find their source of inflammation and fix it all of a sudden their supposed OA gets better. Which by technical definition the OA should not be affected by environmental changes.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

richie
    Participant

Doctors have to give things a name -I remember years ago any unexplained pain was called “neuralgia” whatever that means

lemons
    Participant

What about inflammatory osteoarthritis ? My aunt was diagnosed 30 years ago with IOA. My symptoms are a mirror image, but I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.

Maz
    Keymaster

From what I understand, there is an indeed a form of osteoarthritis that is inflammatory, unlike the usual osteoarthritis of old age. “Inflammatory osteoarthritis” typically affects women (of course) in mid-life and is distinctive from RA in that it affects the joints closest to the finger nail to produce what are called “Herboden Nodes.” These nodes basically look like the affected joints are swollen (and they are, but with bony, hard swellings) and they are treated differently from RA with just cortisone infections into the joint and NSAIDs (not DMARDs).

Mostly, I think, the difference between regular OA and RA (if someone has seronegative RA) can be seen on X-rays, because RA will produce erosive-like damage, whereas OA just wears the joint down with smooth surfaces, but narrowed joint spaces. People can and do, in some cases, have both RA and OA.

lemons
    Participant

My Aunt was diagnosed with inflammatory osteoarthritis back in the 70’s. The disease was recognised that long ago at an NHS hospital, and the diagnosis has remained that to this day.
    No ulnar drift, but deformity to the joints nearing the nail beds, DIP joints ? So many joints I can’t remember DIP, PIP ? but I’m referring to the joints just before you get to the finger nail.
    She lives near Thetford forest, where as a child I spent a lot of time there. It’s now one of the few recognised hot spot areas for Lyme in England.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.