Home Forums General Discussion Probiotics, etc. to prevent fungus, yeast?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Lainie
    Participant

I've only been on Minocycline for a few weeks now, 100 mg daily. I have not yet taken probiotics and am not sure what kind to take. I've read about the potential for fungus and yeast; should I begin taking something right away to avoid those conditions? One of the members mentioned Diflucan, is that a common preventive medication for those of us on continual antibiotic tx? Is it over-the counter or prescription only?

sfsorrels
    Participant

Lainie,

Diflucan is a prescription antifungal.

I made up a spreadsheet with several of the popular probiotics on it and checked off the type of probiotic contained in each with the total number in each pill/capsule/packet.

VSL #3 contained the most, both in terms of numbers and varieties.

Garden of Life Fungal Defense was next; however, I've read about some problems with one/more varieties of bacteria producing spores that can later cause problems or can cause problems if they become systemic.

I do the following:

VSL#3, Florastor, Lacto-S-Plus: one each at night before bed.

Plus I brush my teeth, tongue, sides of cheeks, roof of mouth and gums with either A&H Baking Sode/Peroxide or Tea Tree Oil Toothpaste and chew a Culturelle capsule (Lactobacillus Acidophilus GG) afterward twice a day.

Oh, and I take a Nystatin, 2-3 x day.  This is an antifungal that just passes through the digestive system and does not become systemic.

So far….so good.  I have not had a fungal problem despite 4 years + of antibiotics.

Sandy

Anonymous
    Participant

Google kefir and see what you think about it being a natural approach to controlling the side effects that can come w/ antibiotic use.  I would be glad to share kefir grains w/ you so that you could give it a try.  It's worked for me for over 3 years while on 100mg minocin daily.  Email if you want further info on getting grains.

toni

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Toni,

Hope you don't mind me butting in on your post here. Was just wondering if you could pass along any recommendations for storing the kefir grains you kindly sent me a couple weeks ago. I've been making kefir till it comes out of my ears, but don't know how to store them properly when I have enough already. Any suggestions for me?

Do hope you received my payment and it was adequate for your trouble. Let me know, if not.

Thanks again for your generousity!

Peace, Maz

PS I tried to private message you, but it keeps getting bounced back by the board…I think the comma in your user name is being translated by the system as being that you are multiple users or something like that. Just thought you might like to know in case you like to use that function.

Lainie
    Participant

Thanks Sandy for all the information. It's a bit too much to absorb all at once though, since I'm so new to all this. I have not yet had any side-effects from antibiotics and want to do what I can to prevent problems. I have also received a post from Toni regarding use of Kefir, so am going to check that out as well. Thanks again and I'll write if I have more questions.

Lainie
    Participant

Thanks for the offer Toni, that's generous of you. I will need to look it up since I don't have a clue what kefir is 🙂 I'll get back to you a bit later.

Lainie

Lainie
    Participant

Hi Toni

Yes, please tell me how much for shipping the Kefir. I've googled it and think it would be a good addition to my antibiotic regimen. Can I grow more of it from the grains you send? Are these grains available at health food stores, such as Wild Oats?

Thanks

Lainie

I cannot immagine anyone taking long term antibiotics of any kind without a systemic antifungal. The lack of use of systemics in the past from even short terfm abx is now taking its toll in Australia.  We have another massive infection on our hands and something has to be done about it quick smart. Please take care with this or it defeats the purpose of the abx treatment in the first place.

We certainly cannot in Australia with our Minocycline or pelleted form Doxycline or any other abx for that matter.   Nystatin might make you feel better but it is not getting to the root of the trouble, only being a wash through.   Symptoms of fungus that I have had are itching all over , white tongue, rough heels memory loss even on 2 Diflucan a week and 6 nystatin on the other days, went into severe memory loss after 5 yrs.  Another symptom of fungus is bloating and I am sure my eyesight also has been effected and more, will keep you informed. You can also get painful feet.  I worked my way up to 100mg. of Diflucan per day and was much better – no Nystatin plus 1000 billion of good bacteria a day and was much better but still not enough now moving on further to 100mg. of diflucan night and morning and getting results with the bloating. The morphine he has me on seems to stop  the liver inflammation for immune deficient people so I can now increase quicker.  Fortunately I have a Rheumatologist who is helping  me and others with this fungal problem we all have.  I doubt I will ever get rid of it  as I was suffering with this problem because of abx use on ENT problems from childhood causing memory loss before I even started A/P However saying that I am improving by the minute once I realised what was causing the problem and found a Rheumy that was open after showing him Henry's two books and asking him to treat me. He allows me to be part of the team and have a say on how I am responding and what I feel needs to be done next. I owe him my life. I know this is rare.  You might get away with it for a while but it will eventually catch up with you. If you cannot take Diflucan try a different systemic. Grisovin helps some of us here as well if you are on just a few abx a day.   If you do not have an immune system collapse you probably would be able to go straight into the higher dose dose. I hope this helps someone struggling with fungus

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ Probiotics, etc. to prevent fungus, yeast?’ is closed to new replies.