Home Forums General Discussion Probiotics

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vinny
    Participant

I have been using some level of Minocycline since June 2008. Some of the genetics did not work well and I added MTX in June 2013.In March of this year I had some problems relating to candida yeast overgrowth and stopped taking Minocycline. My pain level is starting to increase and I plan on adding Minocycline back in next week. What symptom or side effect indicates the level of probiotics needed?
    vinny

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Vinny ,

Have you done anything to treat the candida? If not, probiotics will help but probably won’t get rid of a chronic infection in the gut. Yeast infections are easy to prevent with probiotics but the infection is not easy to eradicate with only probiotics and usually tougher measures need to be taken. Unfortunately, it’s not advisable to add in a systemic, like Diflucan, with methotrexate, due to liver toxicity issues, though Nystatin (a wash-thru) doesn’t have the same interaction warnings:

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1590-0,1096-630

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1590-0,1096-630

Will PM you with a print-out of “new patient” instructions I was given at my initial consult that might provide you with some guidance on daily maintenance.

vinny
    Participant

Yes Maz, it took a couple of months on Nystatin and Florastor, but all is good now. I stopped Minocycline in June and my pain level is starting to ramp up again. I plan on starting Minocycline next week. I’m still taking 7.5mg MTX and have taken probiotic faithfully over the years, but obviously not the right ones or enough. I know Richie take a fistful, but I am just curious what symptom or side effect that would indicate the right level.
    vinny

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

Maz
    Keymaster

@vinny wrote:

Yes Maz, it took a couple of months on Nystatin and Florastor, but all is good now. I stopped Minocycline in June and my pain level is starting to ramp up again. I plan on starting Minocycline next week. I’m still taking 7.5mg MTX and have taken probiotic faithfully over the years, but obviously not the right ones or enough. I know Richie take a fistful, but I am just curious what symptom or side effect that would indicate the right level.
    vinny

I usually gauge it by how my gut is handling the probiotic. Constipation usually means too much probiotic and loose stools usually means too little….although, candida can complicate this picture as it can cause both things, too. 🙄

Richie uses PB8 and has done very successfully for years now. Everyone’s gut is unique in it’s microbiome make-up, though, and what suits one person may be too much or inadequate for another, which is why any recommendation on probiotics is going to be trial/error in terms of dose and tolerance. I always try to find a probiotic that doesn’t have fillers (like starch which may be bad for PsA, anyway) and usually go for a vegetarian cap.

Karel
    Participant

Vinny, I may sound like an advertizer but am just a user. I have success with VSL#3. Its enormuously potent with more than 100 billion good bateria per pill. It really helped me and I take them almost daily (one). I do sometimes switch to PB8 or anything else I can find. VSL is sensitive for temperature although they allow ten days outside the fridge. PB8 is much less sensitive. I believe variation is the trick, to keep things healthy and making sure you get fresh bacteria and store them properly. The manufacturar ships cooled to your home address, and although expensive per bottle, on a per bacteria level it is actually really cheap. What works for me might not work for you though.

best.

Karel
    Participant

Vinny you also may want to switch to MTX injections. From what i read that helps with the gut. Very easy to learn.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.