Home Forums General Discussion Need Encouragement

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    efg
    Participant

I started AP in 2013 through a rheumy. I was doing well until this rheumy left and and I had to move on to a different one. The next rheumy could not write me a prescription for AP and started me on plaquenil. I took plaquenil for a year but I started getting alot of dental issues and infections and wanted to go back to AP. The beginning of this year I managed to find another rheumy who could prescribe AP. I have been taking minocyline MWF 100g now since January but I’m getting worse. Pain and swelling on my hand and fingers. By now, I thought the minocycline would have started working. I’m really worried.
    MARGIE

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Margie;
    If you have RA this dose is probably enough but if you have SD it certainly won’t do the trick after having the disease for some time.If an SDer starts at that dose early in diagnosis it could be enough to slow things down.I had to take 200mg a day for more than a decade before going on a maintenance dose.
    Not all minos or doxys are created equal,many are duds and there is a lot of info here if you use the “search function.Phil is the expert on this.

CMS12
    Participant

Efg – Read my threads as I had similar issues. It could be a continued Herx depending on how long you were off AP. It took me over six months to see any improvement. I’d give it at least one more month. Also, once I came out of remission from AP I had to up my dose. 100 MWF wasn’t enough. I’d suggest 100 mg 2 x day MWF. or 100 mg 1 x every day. When I did that things got better. If that doesn’t help in a month then you may not be herxing. However, don’t get discouraged. It’s quite possible you are. Finally, if you’re on Minocycline it could be the generic you’re taking. I have yet to find any generic that has worked for me except one and there are many different generics.

Cindy

efg
    Participant

Thank you so much foe encouragement. It is frustrating–as people from this board we do so much to prevent us from taking the deadly medications out there and being selective on what we consume and still things don’t seem to cooperate. I have had RA since 2013.
    Margie

richie
    Participant

I am afraid you are misreading the goal of this board –it is not to prevent anyone from taking “deadly medications ” as you put it —rather it is to advance the work of DR Brown and some doctors after him who have used antibiotics successfully in the treatment of Ra -SD and some other rheumatic diseases- I am a big advocate of antibiotic especially in the treatment of SD –I am also well aware of many folks who have used biologics to treat their RA etc –successfully–while they can have side effects more so than antibiotic -no one exactly considers them “deadly” -To do so would take away from this boards goal or mission –we are advocates for antibiotic not anti biologic !!!–Hope this helps —

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.