Home Forums General Discussion Need Advice on Anti-Inflammatories

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    CurlyinNC
    Participant

Hi, everyone. I posted a few days ago that I’ve had either stomach issues or BP issues with the anti-inflammatories I’ve tried. Both Naproxen and Relafen cause me to have stomach cramps and Voltaren caused my BP to elevate. My new doc gave me prednisone for the inflammation, but Dr. S. suggested that I limit my intake of that so that any improvement I see won’t be due to the steroids.

I thought I could take aspirin, but the cramps returned today. I’ve never had any issues with NSAIDS before even on an empty stomach. Can anyone speak to similar experiences and solutions? I don’t want my inflammation to get out of control while I’m giving the Abx a chance to do their thing.

Diagnosed with RA 10/2014 with very positive anti-CCP. Rheumatoid factor was negative and continues to be negative.
    Began abx treatment 12/2014.
    Currently taking minocycline 100 mg bid M-F, diclofenac 75 mg as needed, probiotics, various other supplements.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

I see that you are taking turmeric. Taking both an NSAID and an herbal anti-inflammatory is probably not a good idea — some herbal anti-inflammatories work in the same way that NSAIDs do, so one would essentially be taking two different NSAIDs. If NSAIDs didn’t bother you in the past, but now they do, perhaps the turmeric is the cause.

You mentioned in a different post that you’re taking buffered aspirin. Buffered aspirin isn’t much better than regular aspirin. Consider taking enteric-coated aspirin instead.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

CurlyinNC
    Participant

Thanks for the input, Phil. Unfortunately the stomach cramps (gas maybe) started before I began taking the turmeric, but it certainly could contribute.

My bottle of Bayer Extra Strength aspirin simply says it’s coated so I may have incorrectly used the term buffered. It sounds as if I need to find an aspirin that specifically says “enteric” on the bottle?

It seems as if the morning dose is what bothers me most, and the cramps start several hours after I take the dose. If I take any at night, I do not wake up with cramps. Anyone else experience this?

Diagnosed with RA 10/2014 with very positive anti-CCP. Rheumatoid factor was negative and continues to be negative.
    Currently taking minocycline 100 mg bid M-F, diclofenac 75 mg as needed, probiotics, various other supplements.

m.
    Participant

Hi Curly,

Although it is a tedious task people are very reluctant to undertake, doing a food & supplement & symptom journal can often shine a light on a problem.

It can help one see patterns and narrow down the suspected culprits.

It’s my thought that human beings are prone to notice things when they are there (ex: your stomach hurts every time you have your morning coffee with cream. You think you must be lactose intolerant) and not notice things when they are not there (ex: not noticing the times your stomach does not hurt when you have other foods with lactose).

Good luck!

CurlyinNC
    Participant

Thanks, M. I had been thinking that the stomach cramps could be something else such as 1 or more of the supplements I take or even something I’m eating.

PhilC
    Participant

What dose of Relafen were you taking?

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Anonymous
    Participant

Curly,
    Maybe try to stop D3 for a couple of days and see what happens.
    Linda L.

CurlyinNC
    Participant

Phil,

The doctor started me on 500 mg Relafen for a week to see if I could tolerate it, and then I was supposed to increase to 750. Needless to say, I never got to the 750.

I got some enteric coated aspirin yesterday, and didn’t have any stomach issues, but it tends to be cumulative effect. For now, I’m suspending all my supplements and will reintroduce them one at a time to see if I have success.

Thanks again for your feedback. It is truly my lifeline.

PhilC
    Participant

@CurlyinNC wrote:

The doctor started me on 500 mg Relafen for a week to see if I could tolerate it, and then I was supposed to increase to 750. Needless to say, I never got to the 750.

You were taking 500 mg of nabumetone (Relafen) twice a day, correct? Which drug company makes those pills (it should be on the prescription label)?

Phil

- Albert Einstein

greypilgrim256
    Participant

If you watch the VERY end of this video which in itself is VERY informative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Uklp49aCM

the one researcher mentions a compound Beta-Caryophyllene that activates the CB2 receptor, which is thought to be very specific for anti inflammatory/anti fibrotic effects in studies.

After looking it up, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caryophyllene

I know many of you have mentioned cinnamon as anti inflammatory…well know you know why.

Here is a list of the other natural sources of caryophyllene along with their % taken from the wiki page.

Cannabis, hemp, marijuana (Cannabis sativa)[2] [3.8

CurlyinNC
    Participant

Phil,

My Relafen mfg is Watson, and yes I was taking 500 mg twice daily.

PhilC
    Participant

Here is the dosing info for nabumetone (Relafen):

Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis

The recommended starting dose is 1,000 mg taken as a single dose with or without food. Some patients may obtain more symptomatic relief from 1,500 mg to 2,000 mg per day. Nabumetone tablets USP can be given in either a single or twice-daily dose. Dosages greater than 2,000 mg per day have not been studied. The lowest effective dose should be used for chronic treatment (see WARNINGS, RENAL EFFECTS). Patients weighing under 50 kg may be less likely to require dosages beyond 1,000 mg; therefore, after observing the response to initial therapy, the dose should be adjusted to meet individual patients

- Albert Einstein

quilter
    Participant

Hi Curly, In my studies NSAIDS are not the answer. They are risky and may cause kidney and other organ damage. That being said, I take a buffered aspirin once a day for the purpose of thinning my blood. Plain buffered ASA is very difficult to find but I get it from Walgreens. Bufferin appears to be the same thing. I think enteric coated ASA is an option to take. I think you need to look closer to see what is causing the stomach ace. Greasy foods cause me to get a stomach ache. I know that stomach aches can be caused by stress. I hope this helps you out.
    Carol

Dancing feet are Happy feet!
    Nov 2007 Raynauds, Jan 2008 Carpal tunnel, Aug 2008 Rotator cuff, May 2008 MCTD, July 2013 H.Pylori, Aug 2015 Vaginal Atrophy
    Medications: Minocycline 100 mg MWF, Low Dose Naltrexone 4.5mg, Acidophilus 1-3 a day, Estradiol patch
    Vitamins etc.: Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin D-3 1000 IU a day, Aspirin 325 mg, Magnesium, B6, B12, Beta-carotene, Cranberry, Garlic, Multi Vitamin, and Glucosamine & Chondroitin with Boswellia & Manganese, & MSN, Grape Seed Complex, Meta

Anonymous
    Participant

Phil,

Taking both an NSAID and an herbal anti-inflammatory is probably not a good idea —

How do you know which herbal medications cannot be taken with NSAIDs? I take Naprosen and would like to give a try to Rumalaya. It contains boswellia serrate. Please see the description below.

Rumalaya forte

The dual advantage arthritis control

Action:

Joint pain relief: Rumalaya forte is a potent and safe phytopharmaceutical formulation that relieves joint and bone aches associated with various orthopedic ailments. Its natural ingredients possess potent anti-inflammatory properties that alleviate pain. As an immunomodulator, Rumalaya modulates both the humoral and cell-mediated immune response to aches. Rumalaya forte reduces degeneration of glycosaminoglycans (GAGs), inhibits master cytokines and prevents cartilage damage.

Indications:

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Linda,
    @Linda L wrote:

I take Naprosen and would like to give a try to Rumalaya. It contains boswellia serrate. Please see the description below.

Rumalaya forte

This product does not work like an NSAID — it inhibits inflammation via other mechanisms.

Here’s some information about the ingredients that may be helpful:
    Boswellia (INDIAN FRANKINCENSE): Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings – WebMD
    guggul: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings – WebMD

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.