Home Forums General Discussion Need advice about possible new infection

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jaxtee
    Participant

I just saw 5 doctors in 7 days for a “sore tongue”. It was diagnosed by ENT as glossitis, which as we know means they just don’t know what is wrong with me. It may have been a reaction to several rounds of Omnicef that I took but I have been off of that for a few weeks now with no improvement.

They gave me some “magic mouthwash” which helps temporarily but is horribly expensive and I really need to try to get to the bottom of this. I have it narrowed to an infection (it’s not thrush or strep) or an allergic reaction. Benadryl in the magic mouthwash seems to help but oral Benadryl has not. still, it is only temporary relief, at best.

Nobody will give me an antibiotic for this so I guess I need to experiment on my own. My problem is my antibiotic stash is low. I have 4 1/2 days of cipro or I have 150 mg tabs of clindamycin (they didn’t have 300 mg in stock at the time so they had me double them up). I am inclined to the clindamycin but don’t have enough to take 300 mg 3 times a day for 7 days. I have 26 tabs of clindy at 150mg. I could take 150mg 4x per day for 6 1/2 days or 300mg twice a day for 4 1/2 days. I really am not sure which is the better thing to do or even 150mg 3x per day for almost 9 days. I have never taken just 150mg doses so I don’t even know if that low a dose is effective.

IF it starts to get better in a day or two, I can probably talk my GP into some additional pills. But if there is no change I really hate to start taking them and then have to stop too soon. If I recall you can pulse dose clindy, so maybe it doesn’t matter if I stop too soon?

This is one of the most miserable reactions/side effects or whatever it is that I have experienced. It is not bad in the morning but by afternoon I can’t even drink water without it driving me up the wall. Seriously painful. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

richie
    Participant

Any pharmacist that dispenses 150mg 2 times instead of 300 mg ANY Medicine should lose their license –I really dont think anyone here is really qualified to give you dosage advice for an unknown tongue problem —

jaxtee
    Participant

I have pharmacists do that all the time if they dont have the right quantity.

I am not looking for a diagnosis on my tongue, I am just looking for an idea about taking less than an entire 7-10 days of clindy. I am pretty sure that is done quite frequently but was looking for others experience in not taking full doses of that particular antibiotic. I think ALL of us here are used to talking about taking different antibiotics for unknown infections. That is sort of what this board happens to be about.

Maz
    Keymaster

Glossitis can have a number of causes and not sure if the docs you’ve seen have run any tests, but it can help in narrowing down the playing field – Candida, b12 deficiency, iron deficiency, etc. if Candida, wouldn’t be wise to add abx and Richie is right that none of us here can prescribe. Best to get to the bottom of this and request testing from the docs you’ve seen, if they haven’t run tests already:

Glossitis

At home, when I’ve had a funny tongue, I’ve used coconut oil pulling (swishing a tablespoon in my mouth for 20mins and then spitting it out) and my dental hygienist recommends putting 50% hydrogen peroxide (food grade) with 50% warm water in my water pick or just swilling for 60 secs with that Concoction. In my case, though, turned out thyroid levels were off and I started with iron-deficiency anemia due to low stomach acid.

While the cause of sore, swollen (fluted on edges) tongue can be due to hypothyroidism, some causes might be from infections, but others might be nutrient deficiencies…even severe reflux.

I hope you find your answers, Jaxtee. Can’t recall your rheumatic disease or what AP you are currently using…is it SD? If so, do you have gastric reflux?

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi jaxtee;
    I have a few years of veterinary med but not up to date at all.I do know that we used clindamycin or metronidazole for mouth infections in pets.

richie
    Participant

I sure wouldnt do business with a pharmacist who does it all the time –how dare he change the doctors rx –he is just trying to pass off his current stock on you –bad guy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jaxtee
    Participant

I know this is an old post I am bumping up, but it’s regarding my original post.

18 months after my first bit of sore tongue, which got exponentially worse, more doc visits than I can count and stomach surgery that was supposed to fix the problem but didn’t and left me with permanent other problems, I finally know it was an infection all along. I didn’t push for the abx because every doctor I saw assured me it was not an infection. All of them were wrong. I wish I had listened to my gut and tried the cipro or clindy way back when this first started like I was thinking of doing in my original post.

By the time I woke up on a Saturday about a month ago, realizing the infection was back in my bladder, I found some old cipro in my stash and took it. Cleared up the uti fairly rapidly but it also started to fix the burning in my mouth. My rheum doc has been ill and it’s been hard to get into see him but finally did and he agreed to do the IV clindy again. I am 90% better. But that 10% scares me that it will come back.

My doc is not an AP doc, but he has seen what it has done for me over the years so is always willing to work with me. Problem is, I sort of have to come up with my own protocol. I sure miss Dr S. because I know he would know which way for me to go.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is how much IV clindy is too much? I know, you guys aren’t doctors and can’t really tell me stuff, but I guess I am sort of hoping that somebody who has done IVs might have a general idea. Based on my results of the round of IVs, there is no doubt in my mind that my entire body was just filled with infection. It fixed or improved things that I did not even connect with infection.

Has anyone ever done 5 days of clindy a month apart? I used to get a once a month booster IV, but I can tell I need more than that. Any input that anyone has is appreciated. Yes, I know you are limited as to what you can recommend.

Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.