Home Forums General Discussion Mino Causing Extremely Dry Skin & Dry Mouth

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

I've been on the protocol since November and the only significant side effect I think I have is extremely dry skin ( not flaking, but lack of any oil)  my skin – especially on my face is showing signs of aging that I hadn't noticed before.  The regular routine of  lotions and potions have little if any effect

Also have cotton mouth almost constantly.

Any other's have similar experiences?  Any remedies  — and most importantly, I'm hoping on the oil returning to my skin after I complete the treatment – if anyone has such experiences please share!

Appreciate your feedback!

Mary

Cubby
    Participant

I've been on Minocin 100 mg 2x per day since October, 2005 and don't have those problems.   I have Scleroderma.

Kim
    Participant

Hi Mary,

In my opinion, the dry mouth is probably more a result of the disease than Minocin.  I have Sjogren's and have found Biotin toothpaste to be helpful and Refresh and Systane eyedrops are the ones that give me the most relief.  There are other Biotin products like mouthwash, etc. that could try.  Chances are your dentist has samples you could try—mine did.  These are all over the counter and not hard to find.

Good luck……Kim

Lizz
    Participant

Mary, I agree with Kim. I started getting dry mouth 2-3 years before my dx with RA. It comes and goes, try sucking on sugar free candy, like Jolly Ranchers. My dentist told me also that this is a common problem with post-menopausal women (hormones?) Dry skin could be a winter symptom. Make sure you take baths with oil like skin so soft or extra moisturize. Good health to you..

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Mary;
        you do not state what your disease is.I have SD and after a few years of varied antibiotics I am in remission.I did not expect to lose every bit of collagen in my body though.My skin is as thin as onion skin ,wrinkles like crepe paper and very dry.So far primrose oil  is the only EFA that I am taking due to my vit.D disregulation.   Lynne

Anonymous
    Participant

Thanks for your reply – my symptoms are Rhuematatiod Arthritic – type. Although after just 10 weeks on minocycline and radically changing my diet ( raw for 3 plus weeks/ then mostly vegan with just a small amount of animal protein) the pain went away.

I've not had to take advil for 5 weeks and cortef for 4.  The diet is clearly a positve factor ( i'm now on iscort to support the adreanals.

If this is affect the collegan what supplementations can support existing new collegan?

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi kiddo,I am so glad that the diet is helping.Without totally changing mine I would neverbe in remission.it kills me not to be able to have decent bread and pastries but what the heck,one can't have everything.
        I hate the fact that ALL my collagen is gone.Dermatologists will tell any aging Baby Boomer that there is no way to get it back once it starts to diminish other that to have  shots in the face every few months .My problem is that it is gone from head to toe.SD had stretched all my skin to the limit and now it is a mess.The dryness is an other problem as I have a mal absorbtion problem that just does not want to rectify and most EFA oils have vit. D in them which I cannot take either.Oh the joy of getting older!!!  Lynne

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ Mino Causing Extremely Dry Skin & Dry Mouth’ is closed to new replies.