Home Forums General Discussion Knee pain/Thigh Pain

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Valsmum
    Participant

Silly question- If you have swollen knees for a week or so, do they make your upper thigh hurt? It seems as though it would because it is all attached, but I would like to know if someone else with swollen knees gets pain that radiates up their leg, I have to sit down after standing for only 20 minutes.
    Thanks,
    Sheri

A Friend
    Participant

@Valsmum wrote:

Silly question- If you have swollen knees for a week or so, do they make your upper thigh hurt? It seems as though it would because it is all attached, but I would like to know if someone else with swollen knees gets pain that radiates up their leg, I have to sit down after standing for only 20 minutes.
    Thanks,
    Sheri

Hi Sheri,
    I’ve been re-reading some saved information for myself. As I read your post above, I remembered having read something about “hips and thighs….” that may be of interest (and hopefully some help) for you. [Before I paste a portion of it, I want to add that by the time we have become chronically ill, our body has already become very acidic; and sometimes when new meds, etc. are added, it can “put us over the top” and our body will rebel with pain. Then we need to figure out what is causing the pain.

The excerpt:
    If all the acids generated in a day of digestion, respiration,
    metabolism and degeneration are not all flushed out during the night they
    accumulate, day after day. The results are the expression of states of
    imbalance as the body desperately tries to maintain the alkaline fluid
    pH at 7.365. The day to day buildup of acids affects each of us
    differently depending on our genetics, lifestyle and diet. I have found that
    acids settle in the weakest parts of the body and if not eliminated
    through the bowels, urinary system, lungs or skin, acids are then bound to
    fat and stored on our hips, thighs, stomach, breasts and brain.
    Bottom-line acids are the expression of all symptomologies and the direct
    cause of ALL sickness and disease.
    Monitoring your saliva and urine pH puts the responsibility of caring
    for your health back into your hands. Measuring the saliva and urine pH
    guides your therapy and shows you how living, eating and drinking
    determines the quality and quantity of your life.
    ~Written by Dr. Robert & Shelley Young, http://www.phmiracleliving.com

Hope this information helps you get to feeling better.

Valsmum
    Participant

Thanks for the all the info, I like it ,and it makes sense to me. I had to take a break from the abx, my sed rate doubles and triples when I take them, so now I am eating only chicken, turkey, fruits, and non starchy veggies. My pain has diminished greatly, so has my swelling, I am happy that I have finally stuck with a diet(no starch diet) for longer than a week. Usually I give up because I find it to be too hard to stick to, but this time I feel so much better, that it keeps me going. I’ll just have to see what happens, I am feeling so much better even though my menu is so limited.

Thanks again!!!!!

A Friend
    Participant

@Valsmum wrote:

Thanks for the all the info, I like it ,and it makes sense to me. I had to take a break from the abx, my sed rate doubles and triples when I take them, so now I am eating only chicken, turkey, fruits, and non starchy veggies. My pain has diminished greatly, so has my swelling, I am happy that I have finally stuck with a diet(no starch diet) for longer than a week. Usually I give up because I find it to be too hard to stick to, but this time I feel so much better, that it keeps me going. I’ll just have to see what happens, I am feeling so much better even though my menu is so limited.

Thanks again!!!!!

Sheri, glad you have had some relief. In my opinion, but based on my own experience: It’s not just the abx that is causing this. If you are Blood Type A, there is proof that those with this blood type do not have enough hydrochloric acid (HCL) to break down meat and digest it as Blood Type O’s do. Also, adding to this lack of HCL, unhealthy organisms in our body and their waste materials, and byproducts of our metabolism, etc. … all add to our acidic load.

I would suggest that you study and learn ways to do simple cleanses to help unload your body load of acidic wastes. (I also personally… finally… learned how important it is for health to get enough amino acids in my diet, without eating a diet heavy in red meat. The amino acids play a vital part in all of our body makeup, function, and detoxification itself. If you would like to know more about acidosis, detoxification, and amino acids, you can find a “ton” of posts on these subjects by putting one of these topics into the search window under beside Topic Discussion (or whatever that is) at the top of all posted topics.

Without striving to get the acidosis down to a healthy pH range, while making sure the body has enough minerals, as well as consumes enough amino acids, our bones, ligaments… every part of our body… cannot be as healthy as it needs to be. (You can see that I’m a “liberal arts girl turned scientist”, but articles cited can do a better job of informing you on these subjects.) Maz and Lynnie and others know a lot about detoxification (read their posts on this, too), which can be a gradual and ongoing process.

Best to you…

Valsmum
    Participant

Thanks again for the info. I saw an interesting you tube video a week ago about genetically modified foods and what they do to our body. There is a dr in France that told his patients to try the paleo diet and he got great results for RA, MS etc. Right now the no starch diet is working wonders for me.
    Thanks again!

Joe M
    Participant

Hi,

I would like to give you some facts regarding the ph levels in your body.

Your body has several built-in mechanisms that tightly regulate your plasma ph, intracellular fluid ph, and extracellular fluid ph. Any attempt to alter your fluid ph levels will immediately be offset by these mechanisms. The three main built in mechanisms that keep your plasma ph tightly regulated are:

1. Buffer Systems:
    Carbonic Acid-Bicarbonate Buffer System
    Protein Buffer System
    Phosphate Buffer System
    2. Exhalation of carbon dioxide (yes, simply by breathing your body regulates plasma ph.)
    3. Elimination of hydrogen ions via the kidneys

Saliva and urine ph levels are complete independent of plasma, intracellular, and extracellular fluid ph levels. Urine ph is based largely on what you’ve eaten lately, and saliva ph is normally slightly acidic to aid in digestion. What does measuring your urine and saliva ph tell you? It tells you the ph level of your urine and saliva. It has nothing to do with the critical ph of your cellular fluids and plasma.

The cells in your body undergo millions of chemical reactions in order to function normally, many of which NATURALLY produce acid by-products. When they do, the three mechanisms listed above immediately kick into action so plasma in cellular fluid ph stays in the very narrow range between 7.35 and 7.45. You have no control over these mechanisms, except for holding your breath, and even then you will pass out if you hold it too long, which is the body’s way of telling you not to hold your breath that long!

I realize there are many websites that promote attempting to alkalize the body. They are easy enough to find. I can’t post any because I believe it is against board policy to post links. What you will usually find on these sites are undocumented claims and products for sale, including books and tons of supplements. In my opinion, if you want to find these facts for yourself, avoid any websites that are selling books or supplements, and try to find a basic physiology website that explains it all without the wild claims. If you do the research and are convinced “acidosis” is the cause of all disease, as some of these websites claim, your best bet is to simply eat a healthy diet. Good advice for anyone and almost guaranteed to make you feel better!

JM

Patricia.Ann
    Participant

WOW Joe M!!!! πŸ™„ Really, really interesting post. Thank you.

Having just started AP and getting into a ‘routine’ with it, I am now looking toward diet to help with feeling better. I was starting to get myself tied up in knots with it. Your post has simplified it all for me. A simple fresh food, healthy diet sounds like the key to success πŸ™‚

Take care.

Patricia x

thank you joe m , like patricia anne, your post has helped a lot πŸ™‚ , very easy to understand …kind regards ..di.

Valsmum
    Participant

Thanks Joe, I have never read about acidosis; but what you have posted is very informative and easy to understand.
    I am feeling like my old self with a very simple diet of chicken, non starchy fruits and non starchy veggies. I test a sample piece of food with iodine,if it turns black/blue from its auburn color then it is is starchy and I don’t eat the stuff.
    (never eat a piece of food that has been tested with iodone-poisonus). My pain has come down ALOT, I’m so happy with the results.
    Thanks again πŸ™‚

Joe RA
    Participant

That was nicely done Joe, I liked it allot, specially
    the last few sentences. When I want to research
    something, I stay away from web sites ending
    In .COM , they usually only enhance the product/s it sells.

I believe by eating food that provides vitamins, minerals, enzymes and other essential
    nutrients intended by nature for life and good health. Natural food is our medicine for health, the manufactured, processed so called foods
    which are not natures intent, that causes most
    diseases and other ill health in this world today.
    πŸ‘Ώ πŸ‘Ώ πŸ‘Ώ
    The best to all, ….Joe RA….

Lisabuf
    Participant

Sheri,
    Hi – I am only just beginning to dabble in the diet part of controlling this disease. With quite a few tips and good guidance from Krys, I have started a trial run of gluten-free eating to see if it helps. Since I have learned that starchy foods can be problematic, I want to try to limit them as well. So I was fascinated to learn of the iodine test for starch. I’ve never heard of that, but it sounds like an easy way to test a bit of food (and then throw that bit away) to determine starchiness. Thanks!
    Lisa

Valsmum
    Participant

Lisa,
    I never heard of it either until I stumbled across kickas.org – a support group for arthritics, especailly those with AS, RA etc. There is a section of people who are actively doing the No Starch Diet for their arthritis and plenty of sucess stories. I don’t know if have AS, I was dxd with RA 2 years ago, but my worst pain is my lower back and si joint. I do have issues with my elbow, and knees too. My hands are great thank goodness.
    I feel so much better latley.
    I hope it works out favorably for you,
    Sheri

A Friend
    Participant

@Joe M wrote:

Hi,

Your body has several built-in mechanisms that tightly regulate your plasma ph, intracellular fluid ph, and extracellular fluid ph. Any attempt to alter your fluid ph levels will immediately be offset by these mechanisms. The three main built in mechanisms that keep your plasma ph tightly regulated are:

1. Buffer Systems:
    Carbonic Acid-Bicarbonate Buffer System
    Protein Buffer System
    Phosphate Buffer System
    2. Exhalation of carbon dioxide (yes, simply by breathing your body regulates plasma ph.)
    3. Elimination of hydrogen ions via the kidneys

Saliva and urine ph levels are complete independent of plasma, intracellular, and extracellular fluid ph levels. Urine ph is based largely on what you’ve eaten lately, and saliva ph is normally slightly acidic to aid in digestion. What does measuring your urine and saliva ph tell you? It tells you the ph level of your urine and saliva. It has nothing to do with the critical ph of your cellular fluids and plasma.

The cells in your body undergo millions of chemical reactions in order to function normally, many of which NATURALLY produce acid by-products. When they do, the three mechanisms listed above immediately kick into action so plasma in cellular fluid ph stays in the very narrow range between 7.35 and 7.45. You have no control over these mechanisms, except for holding your breath, and even then you will pass out if you hold it too long, which is the body’s way of telling you not to hold your breath that long!

I realize there are many websites that promote attempting to alkalize the body. They are easy enough to find. I can’t post any because I believe it is against board policy to post links. What you will usually find on these sites are undocumented claims and products for sale, including books and tons of supplements. In my opinion, if you want to find these facts for yourself, avoid any websites that are selling books or supplements, and try to find a basic physiology website that explains it all without the wild claims. If you do the research and are convinced “acidosis” is the cause of all disease, as some of these websites claim, your best bet is to simply eat a healthy diet. Good advice for anyone and almost guaranteed to make you feel better!

JM

Joe M wrote:
    Hi,

AF replies:

As it is sometimes confusing, please note my reply is addressed to Joe M

Valsmum
    Participant

Hi AFriend,

What did your naturpath suggest to make the body less acidic? I have great sucess with no starch diet lately, but when I eat the smallest amount of starch, dairy , nightshades etc. I have ALOT of pain within a few hours and it lasts for a few days. When I cheat I really pay for it.Its not really worth eating whatever I want.
    I would be intersted in testing my saliva and ph levels.

Thanks for your informative post,
    Take care!!!
    Sheri

Patricia.Ann
    Participant

Thank you AF for that very detailed information πŸ™‚ This is all certainly worth looking into. My diet does need changing I know that….

Sheri – I found this website that explains also about alkaline/acidic body state. It is a UK site but backs up what AF is saying I guess.

https://www.phhealth.co.uk/learn-about-your-diet-and-how-it-effects-your-body/

The bottom line is a good, clean diet as Joe M pointed out – and eliminating acidic foods to see if it makes a difference certainly shouldn’t do any harm πŸ˜‰

Take care all

Patricia

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.