Home Forums General Discussion Humira – Worth a Try?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    worldofme
    Participant

My doctor has recommend that I try Humira since prednisone & pain killers have not help much. He doesn’t think Sulfasalazine / Metotraxte will help with my spine. He thinks those meds will only help axial and GI symptoms.

He has requested that I try Humira and for now being will diagnosis me as AS. He would like to determine if Humira works or not.

I am at point where i have no idea what to do. Do I take this powerful immune supression drug or continue with antibiotics protocol.

Of course my doctor does not believe in Antibiotics curing whatever I have going on. He really likes to label me as “seronegative spondalyarthrophy” but will use As for time being.

What are benefits of Humira? Has anyone taken this drug here? Is it worth the try? Side effects?

Anything that can ease my mind.

He also bluntly said “There is nothing else that can be done besides TNF”. These are last resort.

Thanks

Linda L
    Participant

Worldofme,
    Doctors have destroyed my immune system. If you have been taking Prednisone for a while your immune system must be weak. I had 3 or 4 once a week injections of Humira and after that within a short time I had three times pneumonia. I was also on MTX long time
    Linda L

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

MLTelfer
    Participant

If your doctor says there is nothing left you have a few options. We have no idea of your general health outside this disease and any other factors your doctor may be considering.
    Option 1: do as this doctor says
    Option 2: get another opinion
    Option 3: freelance it and do a lot of research and assume responsibility for your outcome
    AS is very serious. Listen to your body, listen to your doctor, listen to what the voice in your head is telling you. As I have said on the board, my son has had great results with Humira. He also had results with AP. I have read of frightening side effects of Humira but did it anyway and have no regrets at this time. From my point of view, this disease is playing with fire and I absolutely owe it to my son to give him the best chance possible. Talk to your doctor. Be educated. Think clearly. Make the right decision. You may PM me and I will answer any questions about my experience.

worldofme
    Participant

Tough call. I don’t know what to think. I’ve taken Doxy & Flagyl for a while and nothing seems to improve, they seem to HELP REDUCE symptoms but not stop the disease from progressive.

For instance, every month or so there would be new symptoms regardless of how much Abx I’ve taken.

Prostate is always inflamed so this could be that Doxy nor Flagyl seems to help.

My only option is to try Sulfa Drug / Cipro again? Both of these seem to cause some sort of side effect.

Last time I took Bactrim DS 5 days into the meds I had EAR PAIN. But did seem to help prostate pain. So I’m not sure if Bactrim is the answer but I would hate to find out if i’m allergic to bactrim. I’m scared of STEVE johns Syndrome.

bonnielou
    Keymaster

Worldofme, is there any way you can consult with an experienced AP physician, who may be able to guide you in this process? Have you checked to see if any are accessible to where you live? Of course Humira is an option, and there will be folks on this board who have used/still use other biologics, but I can’t tell from your description (and there are no notes in your signature line) if you have even had a chance to try minocycline yet.

Bonnie Lou
    RA 02/07,AP 10/07
    Minocycline 200mg MWF; Plaquenil 100mg 3 days/week
    Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Vit C (2 grams) , MultiVit, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, D3 (5000), probiotics and a daily dose of yoga!

Valsmum
    Participant

I tried Humira, Orencia and Remicade and my hope was for less pain. I was also hoping I could eat whatever I wanted without pain. Well, those meds did not work(had to take more prednisone) and I was still in a lot of pain and now with serious side effects, which were blood disorders. My hemoglobin dropped to 8!! When I was taken off those meds I was no longer anemic. The best thing for my back pain is the NO STARCH DIET, it truly does help. Have you ever checked out http://www.kickas.org? Try eating green salad with chicken for a week or two and see if your pain in spine improves, mine did and it gave me some hope…finally. Stay away from grains and sugars & eat some raw veggies everyday(you can juice them), slowly your health will improve.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.