Home Forums General Discussion How many of you were Nurses?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    niteowl
    Participant

I am curious, how many here are or were Nurses? I know 5 other Nurses that I used to work with that are now dx with RA! Exposure to more Bugs? Stress? Btw, two of the Nurses are male that were dx.

Diagnosed with RA in 2012
    Fifth Disease in '03
    Lyme? in 2000?
    Had radioactive ablation of hyperactive thyroid in 1997
    autoimmune thrombocytopenia resolved
    Anemia resolved with treatment of RA with Minocycline
    Blood type: B neg

Meds:
    Minocycline 50mg once a week
    Levothyroxine .88mg
    Liothyronine 5mg
    Methotrexate 20 mg once a week

Folic acid
    B12
    B6
    Vit D
    Biotin
    Biosil
    Cbd balm
    Flexaril as needed
    Aspirin
    Benedryl
    Ventolin inhaler
    Lactibiane probiotic

rcarney80
    Participant

I am a nurse Dx with RA just prior to my 50th birthday. I have a cousin who is also a nurse and was Dx with RA just after the birth of her 2nd child.
    I also work with another nurse that was just Dx with RA however she does have a family history of RA her mother had RA.
    I often wondered if we developed RA because of something we are exposed that is work related.

Rena

gratefulgirl
    Participant

Interesting. I was an RN for many years. Worked in specialties from surgery to rehab to hospice. I haven’t been in pt care for a while, but do remember being exposed after being stuck twice when administering IV’s. All tests proved negative for the bad guys. It was shortly after that when I left the clinical setting. So who can say what may have predisposed me to RA. 🙂 GG

niteowl
    Participant

It would seem to be a great opportunity for researchers to compare Nurse’s exposures to developement of RA. I’m not able to recall where I read that rates of developing RA after exposure to TB were increased.

Diagnosed with RA in 2012
    Fifth Disease in '03
    Lyme? in 2000?
    Had radioactive ablation of hyperactive thyroid in 1997
    autoimmune thrombocytopenia resolved
    Anemia resolved with treatment of RA with Minocycline
    Blood type: B neg

Meds:
    Minocycline 50mg once a week
    Levothyroxine .88mg
    Liothyronine 5mg
    Methotrexate 20 mg once a week

Folic acid
    B12
    B6
    Vit D
    Biotin
    Biosil
    Cbd balm
    Flexaril as needed
    Aspirin
    Benedryl
    Ventolin inhaler
    Lactibiane probiotic

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Niteowl;
    There was a similar question posed on the bulletin board of the Scleroderma Foundation several months ago.The number of nurses was astounding,at least 30 and even more from other people that worked with people such as teachers and doctors.If I can retrieve the post I will send it to you.It’s amazing that none thought of a possible infection.

Suzanne
    Participant

There have always seemed to be a disproportionate number of nurses on the boards I follow as well. It seems like this study could answer the question:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nurses’_Health_Study

I wonder if it has ever been asked? Do any of our nurses here participate in this survey?

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.