Home Forums General Discussion Herxing?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Time_of_my_Life
    Participant

Good Morning

It has been about 3 weeks since receiving the IVs and starting on the minocycline.  I am just wondering what I can expect will happen…  I know it's different with everyone, so I am speaking in general terms.  If a person were to Herx, when would they expect to have their first Herx reaction?  Is there a period of time that this usually happens in?

Aside from recovering from a hernia surgery, I am feeling pretty good.  My joints have not acted up yet, and I have to say that I find myself getting nervous as the days go by, wondering if, or when I will herx.  I have been off of methatrexate for a over a month now and have had no ill effects from going off it.

Any information of what I can expect now or in the future would be appreciated.  Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Happy Healing,

Lori

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=212]Time_of_my_Life[/user] wrote:

It has been about 3 weeks since receiving the IVs and starting on the minocycline.  I am just wondering what I can expect will happen…  I know it's different with everyone, so I am speaking in general terms.  If a person were to Herx, when would they expect to have their first Herx reaction?  Is there a period of time that this usually happens in?

Hiya Lori,

I haven't had the IVS myself, but I'm sure there are others who can fill you in on their herx experiences. Although, from what I have gathered listening in to the discussion board this past year, it's going to be different for everyone, just as it tends to be with oral abx.

I remember you saying in your initial post that since your initial flare you have had no others. Could it be that you're one of the very lucky ones for whom RA is mild or even in spontaneous remission? Wouldn't that be a blessing?!!! 😀 You've caught it nice and early with abx therapy before it became too fixed and this is also a very good thing for long term prognosis.

I think you also said that you had been started on minocycline 100mg (bid)?  I'm sure Dr S has very good reasons for prescribing this protocol for you, perhaps as a palliative to ensure you don't have any whiplash effect from coming off mtx so rapidly?  Dosing with mino on a daily basis affords an immunosuppressive effect, so it just crossed my mind that this may be why you're doing so well, too.

I found it really hard starting on daily mino and had to reduce the dose – felt like battery acid flowing through my veins along with all the other usual symptoms. Now, on pulsed dosing, my herxing is pretty predictable and less severe, allowing me to function a bit better. Within hours of taking my morning mino on MWF, I get a bit of that same feeling…some days worse than others….but the days off are usually a nice relief. Adding zith to the mix on T & Th a couple weeks ago hit me like a mack truck (on the following Sat and Mon…exactly 4 days after each dose), so I've backed off that dose and will only be taking one zith every 10 days to see how I go…if that's too much, I may well lower it more.  

Okay, so this is bearing in mind that my RA has been pretty severe since it began, but thought it might help to hear how this herxing thing happens in this kind of scenario. Again, though, it's not the same for everyone on pulsed dosing…some people feel better on their mino days and worse on their off days and, for some, herxing isn't even discernable. I think much of it has to do with the degree one is afflicted with the hyperallergenic state, toxin and individual pathogen load.

Perhaps John or one of the other oldies on the BB may be able to fill you in better than I, as this is just my take. 😉

Glad to hear you're doing so incredibly well, though….so inspiring!

Peace, Maz

lee
    Participant

For me the 4 day started depression and fatigue and insomnia. The week after brought the physical symptoms that lasted 2 weeks.

Nico
    Participant

Could someone please explain this herxing thing I don't understand it!

Thanks Nico

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Here is a link from the Road Back Foundation Website that explaines the “Herx.”

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/education.display/display_id/91.html

There is a great deal of information on the main website that is very educational for those considering AP Therapy.  Look in the “Education” Section.  Just don't try to read all the material in one sitting, your eyes will surely cross! LOL

Cheryl

Nico
    Participant

Thanks, they crossed about the 2nd week on the boards.  LOL Nico 😯

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Nico,

Yes, there is alot to read.  I know in the early days of learning about AP and the other options to treat my daughter's scleroderma, there were days I literally couldn't see, my eyes had blurred so from reading.  Now, sometimes people ask if I have read this new book or another, and I think, HECK NO, I will never be able to read for pleasure again (I don't say it, I just think it). 

Pace yourself!

Cheryl

Nico
    Participant

Dear Cheryl,

What a wonderful mother you are to look for the cure for your daughter. I realize that after being on these boards and seeing all the young people effected with these diseases just how blessed I am to be 56 and just starting with them, sometimes when feelin sorry for myself all I need to do is stop and take a look around, things can always be worse, God bless you in your quest for a better way for Jesse.

Yours, Nico

Pip
    Participant

Hi Lori!

Miss you and will write soon!

Ok, herxing for me was itching.  It was awful.  So, maybe it was a herx/liver thing.

Hugs,

Pip

Time_of_my_Life
    Participant

Oh my gosh  Pip!  I have been wondering where you've gone off to.  Hopefully a nice vacation?  Glad to see you are back!  As you can see, I've officially crossed over to your side and I'm doing great!  😉

Lori

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘ Herxing?’ is closed to new replies.