Home Forums General Discussion Doxycycline and minocycline

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Krys
    Participant

@June3443 wrote:

She prescribed clindamycin 150 mg 2 x day along with the doxycycline 100 mg 2x day. Also, added iodine/potassium iodide supplement and selenium citrate for my sluggish thyroid.

My biggest concern now…to keep the yeast infections at bay as well as C dif(?). I am doing the probiotics. Any suggestions? My pharmacist recommended Pharmacist’s Ultimate Health with Lactobacillus 750 m and bifidobacterieum group. I also take the recommended dose on the box of baking soda to help maintain a less acid stomach.

…..Dr. K said the small white pokka dot look I have on my arms may be a fungus Tinea Versicolor and prescribed Lamisil. Does anyone else have this condition?

Hi June,
    You can add Diflucan which will help with yeast. Tinidazole / Metronidazole will help with C difficile.
    Doxy and Clindamycin go well with Diflucan. You can take it daily or one or a few days a week.
    Metronidazole /Tinidazole can be added just a few days / one day a week. How much you can tolerate depends on the microbial load you have. I originally was prescribed Metronidazole 2 days a week 4 x a day and it was pure hell! I thought I was going insane. So the dosage was diminished to 2 x a day and it was still unbearable. Then I started taking Buhner’s herbs for Lyme which called for a smaller dosage of abx and I ended up taking only 1 tablet a week and while still hating it, I tolerated it much better. Eventually it was switched to Tinidazole (thanks to Maz and her post) and it was great!!! Much better than Metronidazole.
    Last month I took Metronidazole for 2 days 2x day and nothing happened. I felt good and even better (as in: improved) when it was over. So it means that my microbial load has greatly diminished!

I am on a abx break now but once I restart I will be using doxy + clindamycin + diflucan (Fluconazole) and pulsing Tinidazole 1-2 days a week.

I’ve had a few small polka dot white spots on my arms for maybe 20 years. They looked the same all the time. I thought it was loss of pigment. So it can be a fungus? It is quite possible as once I started AP surprisingly the spots started having some color back and now I see they are gone!

Thank for posting an update, June.
    Warm wishes, Krys

PhilC
    Participant

Hi June,
    @June3443 wrote:

My biggest concern now is being able to keep the yeast infections at bay as well as C dif(?). I am doing the probiotics. Any suggestions? My pharmacist recommended Pharmacist’s Ultimate Health with Lactobacillus 750 m and bifidobacterieum group. I also take the recommended dose on the box of baking soda to help maintain a less acid stomach.

Consider also taking Saccharomyces boulardii, which is a species of “friendly” yeast. It’s a good probiotic to take because it should be resistant to most antibiotics. I take Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS (Jarrow Formulas brand).

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

June3443
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. Phil, I went to the health food store and got the probiotic you mentioned. I also got some foods that are “fermented” that I read were good to help with the gut problems while on antibiotics…pickles, beets, sauerkraut and some buttermilk. I read to cut back on carbs and fruits which are my main diet. I am trying it all. Hope I don’t have to add the Diffican, too. I can only take so many pills!!! 😀

Thanks again to everyone. You are most helpful and a great source of knowledge.

June3443
    Participant

I have come full circle with my medicines. The SD seemed to be working on my face so I have stopped the doxycycline and clindamycin and now I am trying to take only 100 mg a day of minocycline. I took the Teva brand for 4 days and the ringing in my ears started. Yesterday, I seemed to have a vision problem. So, today I took the Ranbaxy brand and so far no ringing ears. I am hoping I can find a reduced dosage of minocycline that will be effective with little sde effect.

I have been consulting with my doctor about the medicine change.

June3443
    Participant

This is an update on my minocycline and doxycycline combination. I believe I was having a flare after taking the doxycycline and clindamycin. When I switched to mino and doxy I was still having the pitting on my face, plus ringing in my ears and my vision was blurred. I was also taking hair and nail vitamins and some other supplements. I eventually stopped taking the doxy and reduced my mino dosage to 100 mg a day. The vision blurring continued so I stopped taking everything except the mino. After about 2 weeks, my vision cleared up. My ophthalmologist checked my eyes and everything was okay and she said she didn’t think the mino caused my blurring eyes.

The pitting on my face continued. I went to 2 different dermatologist who didn’t really know what it was or how to treat it as I already had metronidazole gel and clobetasol propionate. I found a cream at Walmart called Prosacea that contains Sulphur 1x and it stopped the progression of the pitting. It felt like something crawling under my skin or something crawling on it. Maybe the mino helped stop it, too. I am now left with what looks like an old ringworm scar, only now there is a deeper hole in the center. I can cover it with makeup, but I still would rather not have this happen again. I haven’t noticed it anywhere but on my face.

Seems to me if it was just the SD, then why did the Sulphur help it? Anyone else have anything like this?

The good news is I have reduced my minocycline from 200 mg a day to 100 mg. This makes it a lot easier to manage my vitamins and food around the mino. The smaller dosage seems to be working well. The only thing I still have some muscle spasms but if I drink Gatorade everyday along with water, I don’t seem to have them. I have a slight ringing in my ears from the mino I think, but it is not bad. I have eliminate some of the supplements especially the hair and nail vitamins.

Randy
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

Please forgive me for not reading or re-reading the thread here. It’s late. However, I just saw Dr. F. today and asked the same question ref skin darkening and doxy vs mino. For me, he wants me to stay on the mino and to start taking 3K-5K mg of vit C for the darkening. He also told me not to worry about when I take the Vit C, and that I can take it with the Mino.

Randy

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily
    Stopped Clindamycin IVs Aug 2019
    "No one should profit over someone else's illness"

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Randy,
    @Randy wrote:

For me, he wants me to stay on the mino and to start taking 3K-5K mg of vit C for the darkening. He also told me not to worry about when I take the Vit C, and that I can take it with the Mino.

Actually, your best bet would be to take the vitamin C in divided doses with meals. You should absorb more of it that way, and it would be less likely to cause GI upset or loose stools.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

June3443
    Participant

Thanks, PhilC, i started taking my vt. C after reading Randy’s post. Will be sure I take with meals.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.