Home Forums General Discussion Dosage Change – Minocycline

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ali
    Participant

Hi, just re-read the protocols and I’ve only done the pulse M,W,F 100mg morning and night over the padt 2 years…and previously back in 1997-2000.

It has been successful on this pulse therapy but since my lung diagnosis a week ago and recent inflammation of the lungs having to take Prednisone and Methotrexate again…I don’t want medical advice however I thought of taking 100mg daily or upinh the Minocycline to 250mg as suggested for long term diseases.

My Rheumatologist doesn’t know a lot about this therapy but has prescribed me what I need after talking to him back in 2016, so I just wonder as things have got worse or improved in my lungs, I am wondering whether it would be of benefit to change the dosages?

Any thoughts from others would be great as I haven’t had any hexhimar issues since starting Minocycline two years ago, or had any adverse reactions…only good results in skin, Raynaulds and fatigue!

Thanks in advance,
    Alison

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Alison,

100 mg of minocycline twice a day, every day, is the dose typically used for the treatment of scleroderma.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Ali
    Participant

Phil,
    Thanks for that information, I think this will be what I shall do to try and get my lungs under control..thanks to Sjogren’s!

Got to love these ‘Autoimmune Diseases’ and their WACKY NAMES!

I’m in good spirits and won’t let these Diseases get me down 🤗🙃

All the best,

Alison

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Not to be contrary at all because Phil is right as to the typical dosage for SD based on what I’ve read. I can only tell you what has worked for me…..for me (I have RA)…”less is more”. I’ve done better on 100mg every other day with food, mind you…than more. But that’s just me and I have RA. Your mileage may vary…

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

Ali
    Participant

Well an update…Been on 100mg of Minocycline twice daily for one week now, after taking it Monday, Wednesday and Fridays.

Only taking 5mg of Methotrexate on Saturdays, its now been for 3 weeks also 5mg of Prednisone everyday for 3 weeks and my coughing has significantly diminished to nothing!

I have had no real problems with this combination but have not taken LDN on a Saturday night with Methotrexate as I accidentally did last week and ended up with severe stomach cramps. So will not be doing that again!

Went to the gym today and did 500 metres in 6 minutes, my lungs and heart coped well and I did further walking and other exercises with weights.

Feels like a new body connected to me!

So here is hoping good reports this month when I see my pulmonologist with LFTs and 6 min walk test!

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Ali – just to let you know:

upinh the Minocycline to 250mg as suggested for long term diseases

The 250mg is the dosage of the older original tetracycline not minocycline. Tetracycline was what was available in Dr Brown’s time and the dosage required was higher than with the later doxy and mino variations.

Patients with severe or long-standing disease are started on a low dose of oral minocycline or doxycycline ranging, according to patient tolerance, from 50-100 mg. or tetracycline 250 mg. once daily one to two days per week. Titrated to patient tolerance the dose should be increased to a working standard dose of minocycline or doxycycline 100 mg once daily or tetracycline 250 mg. twice daily Monday, Wednesday and Friday

pulsed protocol/tetracycline

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.