Home Forums General Discussion Can RA mimic AS ?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    lemons
    Participant

I was diagnosed with sero negative RA in June and started AP in September. So far Im doing ok on Minocin but, my back problem seems to be returning. When I was 19 I started to have severe locking pains in my lower back that came and went over the years. In my early 30s it was very bad, I once couldn’t get up from off the floor and had to have a doctor come to my home and administer a steroid shot. I was sent for x-rays but nothing was seen to suggest a problem. Again in my early 40s symptoms returned and I was in agony, so was prescribed a course of physio therapy sessions and nsads, problem went away. Well fast forward, June this year massive onset of ankle and hand/finger swelling, neck pain, swollen knees diagnosed with sero negative RA. When I told the rheumatologist my history he totally dismissed my past back problems and said they weren’t related to the RA. He pointed out that the lumpy swellings on the back of my hands were classic RA. Is it possible to have both RA and AS ? Or can you have lumpy swelling on back of hands near wrists with AS alone ? Im not due to see my AH (arse hole) of a rheumatologist till February so I was hoping someone could give me any suggestions ?

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

lemons – have you looked around Prof Ebringer’s site? That may give you some answers. Also, have you been tested for the HLA B27 gene? More info on this on the site
    http://www.kickas.org/guide.shtml

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

lemons
    Participant

@lynnie_sydney wrote:

lemons – have you looked around Prof Ebringer’s site? That may give you some answers. Also, have you been tested for the HLA B27 gene? More info on this on the site
    http://www.kickas.org/guide.shtml

Thanks for quick reply Lynnie, I have not been tested and I will now go and have a look at these sites you have recommended 🙂

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

it’s just the one site lemons

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

DragonSlayer
    Participant

Hi, lemons:

…sero negative RA. When I told the rheumatologist my history he totally dismissed my past back problems and said they weren’t related to the RA. He pointed out that the lumpy swellings on the back of my hands were classic RA. Is it possible to have both RA and AS ?

I believe You probably have AS; nodules are not uncommon in AS, but there is a very slight chance of having both RA and AS. In my signature (‘info on RA, AS, CD, etc’) is a link to my dropbox page with some useful diagnostic features, but mostly, if pains are symmetrical they are more likely RA than AS.

Following Carol Sinclair’s book “The New IBS Low-Starch Diet,” in conjunction with AP is really the best treatment.

HEALTH,
    John

lemons
    Participant

John, thankyou for replying to my question. The lumps on my hands aren’t nodules , more lumpy fluid filled areas of inflammation. Pain is on both sides but never at the same time, pain in jaw always on left side. I will have a look at these diets and bring it up with my AP doctor who I see next week. Best wishes Lemons.

Maz
    Keymaster

@lemons wrote:

The lumps on my hands aren’t nodules , more lumpy fluid filled areas of inflammation.

Lemons, fluid-filled areas on tops of hands near joints (wrists or large knuckles) may be something, called synovitis, which might occur with rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and gout. As per the Wiki article below, they can be a distinguishing feature, especially of RA. A swelling due to synovitis can be easily and painlessly drained with a local anesthetic and, to help shrink the sac so it doesn’t re-fill, cortisone can then be injected into it. These fluid-filled sacs are a result of inflam and weakening of the synovium, and may look similar to a ganglion cyst. You can run google pic searches on wrist/hand synovitis and ganglion cysts to check if either resembles anything like you have experienced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synovitis

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.