Home Forums General Discussion Black Bone Disease

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MLTelfer
    Participant

I have also come across a side effect of mino called black bone disease. I wasn’t aware of that from my reading on the AP subject either.

richie
    Participant

Hi I just read the same abstract you did –Certainly clarification is in order —the title mentioned Black bone disease –however if you read the article -you would see reference is made to pigmented bone –In reality Black bone disease is a genetic illness also called alkaptonuria which leads to arthritic conditions and deterioration of the bone —-There is a vast difference —
    richie

MLTelfer
    Participant

Thank you for the clarification!!!! I put this off to the side to look into later, and after your response I will bury it deeper in the research pile.

I have to say that I invested a LOT of time studying AP…..at the expense of studying actual psoriatic arthritis and the clinical rheumatoid aspects of it. The deeper and deeper I look at this the more connections I am finding….including the role for AP.

OK….I know you bear with me. I am getting myself off the roller coaster. I am going to stop living this in little sound-bites of how he is feeling and stay bigger picture. When I took him to his traditional rheumatologist here in FL she was surprised at how much better he was looking since last time she saw him (and I thought he was going backward). She did a lot of radiology and he came out very clean. We go back to see Dr. F next month.

Thank you.

richie
    Participant

Hi Sounds like you are on the right track –you got a real good doctor –in fact if I lived on West coast he would have been my choice !!!!
    Richie

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

My daughter had to have three surgeries after a broken elbow. The first surgery came 1.5 years after starting minocin, the surgeon did not mention any bone discoloration. The second surgery came 2.5 years, still no mention of discoloration. The third surgery, at 3.5 years after starting minocin, the surgeon came out after the surgery and said, “her bones are light green”. I said, yes I knew that was possible from minocin. I looked up some of the literature on this and sent it to him. At our next appointment with Dr. F, he said, “her bones will be black eventually.”

As Richie said, I think it is very different from the black bone disease. If you read more about it you will understand that is has to do with the effect of minocin on minerals and it relates to the same reason that you should take minocin well away from minerals (I think, it was a long time ago that I read up on this topic.)

Cheryl

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.