Home Forums General Discussion Bactrim and Minocycline

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mssada33
    Participant

Has anyone had any experience with taking Bacterim and Minocycline? I’m currently taking it to treat lyme but am concerned as it is a very strong antibiotic and has major side effects on the kidneys and liver. Since beginning my antibiotic treatment I’ve been experiencing a ton a neuropathy. It has been difficult to distinguish if this is a herx or a result of the medication. I wonder if anyone can offer any experience or advice. I had a lot of residual lymes symptoms (fatigue, joint pain, muscle weakness) after being bit in 2014 and then again in 2016. I didn’t think about treating the chronic lyme (if that’s really what it is) until I began to see early signs of SD and began to connect the two.

Spiffy1

I had these same symptoms. Did your joint pain move around? Was your muscle weakness the same all over or did it hit a certain area harder? I wish I could help you with your question but I don’t know the answer. Sending encouragement your way though!

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

How long have you been taking Bactrim plus minocycline, and what doses are you on?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Mssada,

There have been quite a few past posts regarding SD neuropathy that you might like to browse by using the search box above. Here is one you might find helpful, especially in light of the suggestions to help this symptom, but also the belief of Dr. T. that itching is experienced on AP and that he regarded it as a sign of skin healing (and people on just mino experience this, as well). Lyn’s suggestion to use the lemon/olive oil detox drink is also a good one, because when die-off starts, these bug endotoxins can also apparently lead to similar symptoms due to neurotoxicity (see Dr. Richie Shoemaker’s info on this), such as pins and needles sensations.

SD and neuropathy

Detoxing can help a lot with die-off symptoms, but if you are ever concerned you’re experiencing allergy or other med side effect, it’s a good idea to talk with the doc or their nurse. Dr. B. has likely treated a lot of Lyme-induced SD, so he may be able to reassure you. It’s also worth reading the Brown Hypersensitivity transcript under the Resources tab, as he used specific measures to help with excessive die-off states.

I chose not to try bactrim due to members of my family having sulpha allergy, but also folks who get DILE should prob avoid sulpha-based meds, according to some literature I’ve come across. So unable to offer personal experience but if you type Bactrim into search box, you’ll likely find posts from others who have been on it.

Not sure about the chlorine/water spray – think I’d lean to trying Epsom salts and hydrogen peroxide baths first… something a little less harsh perhaps?

Pinkmoth
    Keymaster

My LLMD said that when she treats with bactrim she monitors blood work very closely due to risks involved with taking it. I’m not sure if she would ever pair it with Mino or not.

Have you tried azithromycin? It’s safer than bactrim and she has paired that with Mino for me and I have had great results on it.

My neurooathy was worst when I just started AP. Hand and arms burned so intensely I was laying bags of ice over them every night. How long has the neuropathy been going on?

Autoimmune: ANA positive speckled. Probable MCTD with SD overlap. Hashimoto's. Possible Erlos Danlos. Mold Illness.
    Infections: Bartonella, toxoplasmosis, mycoplasma, EBV
    Meds: minocycline (Zydus generic) 100mg 1x daily,
    Supps: digestive enzymes, Monolaurin, Betaine hydrochloric acid, iron, quercetin, biocidin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.