Home Forums General Discussion are doxy and tinidazole taken together OK?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lorena9
    Participant

Hello – I joined as a member almost a year ago last year, and since then I have been on a journey trying to mostly educate myself and not feeling hopeless with regards to my health. So thank you RBF for helping start this journey.
    I started on AP soon after I joined, pulsing minocycline (low dosage for palindromic RA), when a moderator (thank you lynnie) mentioned that my symptoms could be lyme related. Although I go home to Mass. for the summers, most of the year I live in London so I was out of the lyme loop. However, when back in Mass, i was tested positive on the Igenex Western blot among other tests have been on and off doxy until last month when my MD in Mass put me back on 400 doxy a day, with 500 mg tinidazole, 2x a day for two consecutive days a week. I have been on this now for 4 weeks, no real herx with the exception of feeling hyper and yet incredibly fatigued,some joint aches, light sensitivity and some blurriness and difficulty swallowing (something that comes and goes in general . Is this lyme specific???) I am supposed to be on this for two months and maybe add zythromax.
    I read in one of the lyme books that “Tetracyclines, such as doxycycline, are not used with metronidazole because they can inhibit the latter

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Lorena;
    I am not a pro like Maz when it comes to Lyme.I have been taken the two at the same time and guess that it is working.My doc now has me on Metronidazole(Flagyl) one week on and one week off and I take mino every other day.Sure sounds to me like you are having a mild herx.Mine do not pull the rug from under me anymore,I just have an “off” feeling every so often.No rhyme or reason so I just ignore it.

kater
    Participant

I am taking Tinidazole, Clindy, and Zith with Mino for Lyme and SD –have for 2 years now. I have just switched the mino for doxy now because it was causing blue marks on my legs. Hope this helps
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

Krys
    Participant

Hi Lorena,
    @lorena9 wrote:

…400 doxy a day, with 500 mg tinidazole, 2x a day for two consecutive days a week. I have been on this now for 4 weeks, no real herx with the exception of feeling hyper and yet incredibly fatigued,some joint aches, light sensitivity and some blurriness and difficulty swallowing (something that comes and goes in general . Is this lyme specific???) I am supposed to be on this for two months and maybe add zythromax.

It looks like a typical tx for Lyme: daily: doxy/mino/tetracycline + Zithromax/Clindamycin + 2 days a week: Metronidazole/Tinidazole. And it also sounds like a regular herx reaction. It may stay like that for a while, it may get worse. I think your doc tries to prevent a mega herx by delaying the introduction of Zithromax.
    Incorporating detox and toxin binders (Chlorella, activated charcoal, slippery elm, Cholestyramine, etc) and/or systemic enzymes will be helpful. Switching to gluten-, dairy-, sugar-free diet is also big help. Introducing all of them can bring quite a dramatic drop in sx.

My protocol was similar to yours. I started on daily doxy 300mg (100mg AM + 200mg PM) and after a month added 500mg Zithromax. Metronidazole was added during the 3rd or 4th month. At first I was to take it 4 tabs a day for 2 days a week. I felt like I was going insane, not just joint pain but also very intense neurological sx. It was reduced to 2 x a day, and I still felt horrible. When I started taking herbs that amplify abx, and Metronidazole was switched to Tinidazole and reduced to 1 tab a day 2 days a week, I started feeling better. A few months later, it did not produce any herx at all.
    I developed swallowing problems while on a break from abx and a couple of times, of very short duration, while on abx.
    Without very intense detox and gluten-free, sugar-free and dairy-free diet, I would not have been able to continue abx. I still had to take occasional wash outs to stay on AP.

May your road to healing be smooth and easy,
    Krys

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.