Home Forums General Discussion Are antibiotics making you fat ?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    lemons
    Participant

There is an article published today in The Daily Mail (British newspaper), headlined ” Are antibiotics making you fat ?”. According to microbiologist Dr Martin Blaser, the antibiotics we consume in meat and dairy products may be to blame for a mystererious array of modern plagues, including childhood diabetes, obesity, asthma, food allergies, autism and eczema. In Dr Blasers research group at New York University, they found that mice fed on antibiotics were fatter than mice that were not. I must admit that I have wondered myself if the weight I have piled on since starting AP could be caused by the Minocin. I don’t like being over weight but its preferable to being in agony !

richie
    Participant

Glad to see its antibiotics and not all the food I eat-
    Richie

lemons
    Participant

I eat less than I did before I got ill and I am now 14 1bs heavier. I think Minocin is to blame and not my diet.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Lemons,

There is somewhere in The New Arthritis Breakthrough where Brown talks about this…he says that some folks will lose weight and some will gain. In my case, I lost about 12 pounds in the first year of high dose abx for Lyme, but as I began to improve, I also began to gain weight. I think in my case it was more to do with my change in lifestyle as I had to adapt to less exercise and I lost a lot of muscle mass initially (I was really fit when I got sick) and then just gained back the weight as I was less able to do the intense work-outs I did before.

Perimenopause also has a lot to do with it in my case and, I think, for a lot of women as we often get hit with these diseases during this time of life…those pesky hormones have a tendency to hit we women hard during the change of life.

I eat really well and avoid all alcohol (can’t tolerate it with the Lyme)…gluten-free and stick to fresh fruits, veggies and meat. Rarely do I have a treat and, if I do, it’s a special occasion.

I think there is no doubt that our illnesses affect how we digest foods…lack of digestive enzymes and alterations in gut microbiota.

It’s been documented that RAers have gut dysbiosis prior to any treatment.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18528968

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24578801

So, is it the abx? Maybe, in some cases. It might also be a pretty complex interplay of factors. The usual pattern for RA, though, is that when we first get sick, it’s common to lose weight. After that, the drugs taken – whether abx of conventional drugs – will alter the gut microbiota further. Prednisone is renowned for this…driving cortisol up, increasing belly fat and causing sugar dysregulation (and diabetes in some cases). Just being ill, though, can cause hormonal imbalances in thyroid and adrenals (rheumatic disease is pretty stressful on the body, emotions and psyche).

Just a thought…have you had your hormone levels checked recently? Thyroid, ovarian, adrenals? I think you mentioned that you were getting hot flashes, so wonder if hormonal changes may also be contributing to the weight gain some of us have to suffer as we go through the change. 🙄

Anonymous
    Participant

I lost weight when I eliminated gluten and sugar.
    Maz, how do they check hormones? Is it a blood test for all of them?
    Linda L.

Maz
    Keymaster

@Linda L wrote:

I lost weight when I eliminated gluten and sugar.
    Maz, how do they check hormones? Is it a blood test for all of them?
    Linda L.

Hi Linda,

There are different schools of thought on testing for hormones. My integrative LLMD uses saliva testing through ZRT labs and a compounding pharmacy to make up an individualized prescription for me. One can order the testing kit direct from ZRT labs, but a doc needs to sign off on the lab requisition and results go back to the doc, unless your state allows patients to receive results directly or the doc requests a cc to the patient.

http://www.zrtlab.com/standard-tests/saliva

The rationale for saliva testing is that this method measures the hormones that are actively delivered to receptors in the body. In other words, the bioavailable hormones that are believed to provide a more accurate picture of the body

lemons
    Participant

Maz, thanks for the info. I did have hormones checked in 2012 and an ultra sound on ovaries to rule out anything sinister. It was then confirmed I was in menopause. I am not too fussed about the weight as the extra plumpness in my face irons out the wrinkles and makes me look ten years younger ! Its just that recently I have had to hook a coat hanger into the zip of my jeans and lie flat on the bed while trying to do them up. On a recent shopping trip I was drawn to some T shirts that I thought would be flattering as they were generously sized, but then realised I was in the maternity section 😯

Anonymous
    Participant

Thank you Maz. It is more and more we need to know. I think I will have to check it.
    Linda L.

Anonymous
    Participant

I love to gain a few pounds right now. Elimination of gluten and sugars is making me lose so much weight. More that 20lbs. Three months on AP and still not gained a pound.
    Margie

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Margie – I lost about the same amount of weight when I cut out gluten. However, over time, my body adjusted and about half that came back and would say I’m about an ideal weight now. Just make sure you are getting enough carbohydrate. We have very good GF breads commercially available in Australia, so that is not a problem for me.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Anonymous
    Participant

Oh this has been so great to read, I have put on weight and have been puzzled as to why, Im some time out of menopause, gluten, dairy, nightshades, grain, and starch free, but the weight keeps coming on, I’m only 5 foot 1 inch so really can’t afford to put weight on and my knees don’t need any extra work, rats!!! I need the AP, I wonder if my body will get used to the antibiotics and level out (I know…. Im just clutching at straws!) I guess after 4 months on AP my body would have started levelling out by now. Does anyone have the same weight gain experience on IV AP?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.