Home Forums General Discussion ANA IFA vs. Immunoassay

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    redrock
    Participant

After an experiment of reducing my Minocin I got a lab test of my ANA. The wrong test was ordered however, instead of the IFA (indirect fluorescent antibody) test with the titers, they did the Immunoassay. The only thing it shows is a level of >8 with a reference range of .0-.9. Does anyone know how to convert a >8 to the titer, i.e. is it likely to equate to 1:1260 or thereabouts? Less or more?

richie
    Participant

An experiment reducing minocin –why ????????????????

IFA stands for immunofluoresence assay –its all one test –thats how they get your ANA —IFA is immuno assay —They didnt order the wrong test —
    richie

redrock
    Participant

I attempted to reduce my Minocin because I am having severe gastric problems.

There are two types of tests for ANA. There is the ANA IFA, which gives you titers, i.e. 1:80, 1:160 etc and then there’s the less specific Immunoassay test which basically tells you if it is negative or positive. The first test can tell you when you’re improving, i.e. I went from 1:1260 to 1:80. The second test just tell me I’m abnormal. Here it is explained better than I can.

http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/ana/tab/test/

richie
    Participant

Hi–suggest you go to the Mayo clinic site as they will give you the correct info -the link you gave is full of inaccuracies and they are trying to sell you additional meaningless tests —-also 1:126 is not a valid ANA reading –its always multiples of 80 –for example –1: 80 —1;160 and so on –1;126 is not a reading
    richie—

redrock
    Participant

What I put was 1:1260, not 1:126

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Red rock;
    I don’t know if you follow the Inspire site but there was a great chap there who has been working on a new FAQ for the last year.He was very much in favour of AP and other non traditional therapies and was kicked off the board,even after doing their original FAQ years ago.His site is http://www.sclerodermainfo.org and he has put in all the newest lab tests.Take a look and see what he says about the ANA testing.

richie
    Participant

HI= Nice site –he also said exactly what I said about ANA testing –ANA IFA is one test -the ANA is derived from immunoflourescent assay or IFA –Best-
    Richie

redrock
    Participant

Okay thanks for this link, the first link I posted is a bit confusing. The test I got, which said “Direct” was enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA), where it gives a reference range of .0-.9. And I have a greater than 8, but does not show the titer.

My point is if you are going for testing be sure to request the ANA IFA with Titers or else you will get the less helpful test.

richie
    Participant

very good info you posted –its confusing as all get out –but you posted valuable info —
    richie

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.