Home Forums General Discussion worried, ulcer and polyps

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

I started AP in February of this year. I have seen big improvements in term of pain and food sensitivities. However I have had IBS for several years now and I had an endoscopy/colonoscopy in February and everything was ok. I had a repeat colonoscopy/endoscopy last week, and I have an ulcer and colon polyps. Could minocycline be causing these? I’m very frustrated and discouraged. I feel like I was making progress only to realize other problems in the making. Any same experiences, advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Margie

Maz
    Keymaster

@ihatera wrote:

I started AP in February of this year. I have seen big improvements in term of pain and food sensitivities. However I have had IBS for several years now and I had an endoscopy/colonoscopy in February and everything was ok. I had a repeat colonoscopy/endoscopy last week, and I have an ulcer and colon polyps. Could minocycline be causing these? I’m very frustrated and discouraged. I feel like I was making progress only to realize other problems in the making. Any same experiences, advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Margie

Hi Margie,

Did your doc ever check you for helicobacter pylori? I was checking back on your earlier posts and sounds like all this started with “food sensitivities” and being unable to tolerate certain foods in your diet.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11530&p=75752#p75752

Just a fellow patient hunch – trying to connect some dots – and don’t know if this could be your issue or not, but if it was me, I’d get a work-up for this common stomach infection and, if necessary, find a doc who can treat it. Your anemia and ulcer may even be connected. H. Pylori can be a pesky infection and can take a while to eradicate. In RA, they have run long-term studies with clarithromycin and RA patients with this infection, demonstrating its efficacy in reducing RA symptoms.

Although benign polyps are pretty common findings in colonoscopies, Brown notes that the body tries to encapsulate infections (e.g. rheumatoid nodules) and although purely speculation on my part, GI polyps may well occur as a result of the body trying to wall off foreign invaders causing chronic inflammation. Tetracyclines are used in a combination oral abx approach to treating h. pylori infection.

Dr. Gabe Mirkin (now retired) talks about nasal polyps being the result of chronic infection (chlamydia and fungus) here:

http://drmirkin.com/archive/6951.html

FYI, RA has been associated with chronic helicobacter pylori infection in the research literature. Considering approx. 95% of stomach and duodenal ulcers are caused by this infection (if not from chronic NSAID use) then you might find it helpful to follow up on getting this checked. Here’s a smattering of a few studies:

http://arthritis-research.com/content/14/S1/P74

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12144579

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12102474

Hope you have a lovely holiday, Margie, and can enjoy the good food of the season!

Anonymous
    Participant

Maz,
    THANK YOU so much for taking time to respond. I do have H. pylori. I have had it for more than 10 years. That is the reason for IBS and acid reflux. I know it hasn’t been treated. I will mention it to the GI doctor next time. I don’t think conventional medicine knows how to treat it. They call it Ibs and give you nexium, that’s it!
    Thanks!
    Margie

A Friend
    Participant

@ihatera wrote:

Thanks, Margie

Margie,

I did a search for some specific information, and in the results found, also found your posts. I’m interested in knowing how you are doing… and if the problems you discussed above have improved. While I haven’t experienced exactly the same things you have, I had IBS constantly for over a year, and then it cleared up after learning about and having dental revision. All was well with the gastro system for a time, and in the last two or three months the IBS returned.

I saw an excellent local holistic physician, and he said he could not treat me until I saw a gastroenterologist and had that system checked out. Meanwhile, the doctor put me on a regimen of specific different enzymes for specific times of the day. He also had me take stool testing to the lab for analysis. Surprisingly, the testing showed everything was normal. That’s when the holistic physician said he could not treat me until I had the gastroenterologist check out that system… which will be in a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, the enzyme regimen the holistic doctor has had me on has apparently — after a couple of weeks — worked miracles. Because the holistic physician did not have the enzymes I needed, I had to find another place to get them. Ironically (again), I had been recently doing a search for functional medicine physicians and found one who uses Standard Process products in his office. I remembered this, and went there to get the needed different enzymes — about four different bottles, some taken early am and late pm, and three of them with meals. I have been very surprised/grateful that after about two weeks, my bowel function has gradually become normal, my appetite has noticeably increased, and I am feeling better. I have turned into a skinny rail over the past year and a half, so the increased appetite and the normalizing elimination to me are good signs, in my opinion. Since my stool testing earlier showed everything normal, it sounds to me like my body has to learn all over again how a normal bowel system works — since for many, many years I’ve been living with unknown-about dental cavitations poisoning my system and causing chronic illness.

The above has been shared in detail… just in case someone else has a similar history, problems, etc. The healthcare professional I found when I did the functional medicine search, has the enzymes I’m taking, may be where/what I need to do, instead of pursuing the gastroenterologist testing (since my lab showed normal for whatever the stool test was done for). I intend to look further into the help the healthcare professional who uses the Standard Process testing and appropriate enzymes for however I test. Let me add, until I developed the IBS in reaction to the high dose Vitamin D-3 in early 2013, I had great digestion and often said I have a “cast-iron” stomach — no indigestion, etc. I’ve read very recently in the literature about my enzymes that there is a relationship between D-3 and bowel flora. (Ah ha!!!) The functional doctor associated with the enzymes I’ve been taking has testing to determine what may need correcting — but looks like we/he may have already found that kind of information!

Good luck to you, and hope you are improving.
    AF

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.