Home Forums General Discussion Wonder Cream for Joint Pain?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Parisa
    Participant

Thanks Maz,

There's a fellow Lyme sufferer in our area who did bee venom and he thought it helped him quite a bit.  It's just the idea of finding a practitioner, getting an appointment, paying more money.  All things my husband won't want to do and I'm so burned out from the hospital experience. 

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=13]Parisa[/user] wrote:

Thanks Maz,

There's a fellow Lyme sufferer in our area who did bee venom and he thought it helped him quite a bit. It's just the idea of finding a practitioner, getting an appointment, paying more money. All things my husband won't want to do and I'm so burned out from the hospital experience.

Yea…I understand how you both must be feeling about this. Even with ultrasound, which most insurances cover, you have to get a referral and then on to regular sessions that take chunk out of your day. Let's hope the DMSO and essential oil ideas help.

Peace, Maz

Rose
    Participant

I understand that “Voltaren”(NSAID) is now out in a cream.  But you have to have a prescription for it. Probably expensive since it is new.  Someone mentioned that it works well on knees and shoulders.   Rose

JeffN
    Participant

IIRC I read somewhere about a trial where they were trying to combine  NSAID with DMSO. The purpose being that the DMSO would carry in the NSAID. That would seem to make sense, if worked.

linda
    Participant

I use hydrocortisone cream with DMSO and it works fairly well. Has anyone infromed you about the smell? If you use a lot of it, you can start to smell a little like a paper mill, and bathing really doesn't help, even your breath can smell. But DMSO moves in and out of the body quickly. The smell is worse if DMSO is given thru an IV. This is given to patients on chemotherapy and some AP docs give it to patients on IV abx to help with the herx. Veterinarians use it often in race horses and animal with arthritis. Finally, James Coburn used it and swore it cured his RA.

I couldn't tell you if DMSO worked bettrer than capzaicin. I suspect they both are about the same- make sure you wear gloves when applying the capzaicin. I really hope you can find some relief.

BTW, you should dilute DMSO with water or buy a diluted solution, used at 100% strenght it can burn or cause a rash.

Parisa
    Participant

Well, so far the capsaicin cream doesn't give any relief.  Ben Gay Super Plus doesn't do anything either.  I started my husband on Nettle Leaf yesterday and Boswellin a couple of days ago.  These herbs are supposed to have anti inflammatory properties and supposedly work well with RA type conditions but don't work instantly.  I haven't made it to the feed store yet for the DMSO.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=11]linda[/user] wrote:

Finally, James Coburn used it and swore it cured his RA.

Linda, thanks! Interesting info and didn't realize James Coburn 'had' RA. I did a quick search online and found this site:

http://www.skrewtips.com/2007/11/29/celebrities-inspire-natural-solutions-for-rheumatoid-arthritis/

What I found particularly interesting is that DMSO or MSM contains sulphur. Well, as far as I know, suphur has antimicrobial properties, much like the earlier sulphonomide drugs that preceeded antibiotics as we know them today.

This particular article states that it is thought that people with rheumatoid disease are low in sulphur. While this may be the case, I rather suspect that it is the antimicrobial properties of DMSO that relieves symptoms.

What are your thoughts on this – have you studied this remedy in any depth?

Peace, Maz

linda
    Participant

Interesting article. I tried MSM for about a month, but it really didn't help. Dmso helped, but again, it was not a cure. Next time you see a James Coburn movie, check out his hands. He has drifting of his fingers really bad. You can really see it in the movie “Maverick”, especially when he is playing poker. I should mention that I diluted it with water to about a 75% solution of DMSO, it can cause burning or a rash if used at 100% strength.

I agree with you that it might be the antimicrobial properties. What I remember from my research is mostly from this board; it was discussed as a way to help detox and decrease the herx response. It absorbs quickly and deeply into tissue, binds to free radicals and other toxins, and then quickly leaves the body. My memory is not great right now as I'm fighting the fibro fog, I hope I haven't remembered incorrectly. I did post a comment about combining NSAIDS with DMSO as a topical about a year ago, to prevent the intestinal side effects of NSAIDS, and Richie responded by saying that a transdermal patch is what I was looking for. If Voltaren is now available in a cream, I wonder if we could get a formulary to create a patch with DMSO and Voltaren. Of course if there are many joints involved or systemic symptoms, it wouldn't be a practical solution. But for a small joint flare here and there, it would be useful. I use a transdermal patch with lidocaine that is very helpful with pain, so there is a precedent for this method of transmission, not to mention nicotine patches and hormone patches.

I saw Kathleen Turner on Larry King last week, she talked about her struglles with RA, but when a caller asked her what treatment she was using, she said she could not say for legal reasons or something. She has a book out, “Send Yourself Flowers”, I thought about buying it to see if she specified what her treatment is, but I read some reviews and apparently she is very self-congratulatory, plus I'm really not interested in celebrity gossip. She did say she was on Prednisone, or had been on pred, I suspect she still is because she has the classic “moonface” of people on prolonged use of pred. (like me). I'm disappointed if she is on abx and would not share that info publicly. If we could increase the demand for AP by getting the word out to more people, then maybe the docs would increase the supply. I think most of us want to shout it to the world but we don't have the means to do so. Kathleen Turner certainly has to means to do this, but, like I said, I don't know that she is even on abx. Whatever she is doing is working because she's in a Broadway play that shows 6 nights/week and 2 matinees on Sat.

Well, that's all the info I have on DMSO and celebrities,

linda

I take flax oil you can take it straight or in capsule. I take 10 capsules a day. this is wonderful for inflammation and was recommended by a Rheumatologist in the States.  The other thing is magnesium chelate in powder form if you can get it or tablets.  It is a mineral and also helps inflammation.  hope this helps Parisa

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

[user=134]Rosemary Perth Aust.[/user] wrote:

I take flax oil you can take it straight or in capsule. I take 10 capsules a day. this is wonderful for inflammation and was recommended by a Rheumatologist in the States.  The other thing is magnesium chelate in powder form if you can get it or tablets.  It is a mineral and also helps inflammation.  hope this helps Parisa

Rosemary,

I am so glad to see you here!  Welcome! I hope that it was not too difficult to get registered, but now that you are, I hope you come back often.  You are a fixture here! 

Cheryl

You are very kind darling. 

Yes I do feel like part of the furniture.

I will do the best I can.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=11]linda[/user] wrote:

I saw Kathleen Turner on Larry King last week, she talked about her struglles with RA, but when a caller asked her what treatment she was using, she said she could not say for legal reasons or something.

Hi Linda….well, I think this article in the Health section of USA Today (6/1/01)answers the question about what Kathleen Turner is taking!
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/spotlight/2001-06-01-turner-arthritis.htm

I thought I had read a while back that she was seeing Dr T in Boston and did a little search. This article confirms it. Quote: “Turner says she takes Celebrex with Minocycline.”

What a revelation! The question is, why is she reluctant to speak about her AP therapy? Could her work for the Arthritis Foundation have something to do with this, I wonder? I had heard that she was a spokesperson for one of the biologics, but I could be mistaken on that…may have just been idle chatter on one of the BBs.

Thanks for taking the time to explain what you know about DMSO, Linda…especially in light of your not feeling good today. Very kind of you.

Peace, Maz

JeffN
    Participant

[user=43]Rose[/user] wrote:

I understand that “Voltaren”(NSAID) is now out in a cream.  But you have to have a prescription for it. Probably expensive since it is new.  Someone mentioned that it works well on knees and shoulders.   Rose

I was thinking about this and I took a dive course many years ago taught by a ENT doc, anyway he recommended Voltaren cream for bug bite and the like. He said it was wonderful AND was available out of the country OTC. I purchased some on a trip to Bonaire and it worked well. It is still available offshore so if anyone is going south you may want to check it out. My son is traveling and purchased two tubes for me -hopefully he can get it back into the US. He said it was like $21 a tube. I am going to try it on my hands. Has anyone tried it yet for there hands knees etc? Results?

Parisa
    Participant

My mother-in-law has been visiting and has been trying a home remedy on him.  She makes a paste out of egg yolk and turmeric.  He applies it at night, covers it with some paper towels and then with a loosely wrapped Ace bandage.  So far it seems to be helping.  Could be a coincidence, could be some of the herbs are starting to work, could be it was going to go down anyways?  We'll never know I'm just relieved that it's improving!

I tell my husband that if he gets hungry in the middle of the night, he can just unwrap his egg covered hand!

lrobertson
    Participant

You may want to contact a compound pharmacy. I've got this wonderful compound cream called Ketocam. A compound pharmacist should know about this.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘ Wonder Cream for Joint Pain?’ is closed to new replies.