Home Forums General Discussion Wjy do abx increase blood pressure?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    worldofme
    Participant

Each time I start new abx few days later my bp sky rockets why? I asked cardiovascular doc and he said he’s not sure why?

This happen with rifampin and now with macrobid.

Just Days Leading Up To Abx My BP Is Well Control. Despite being on bp meds, abx will some how raise the bp.

If I discontinue abx, bp returns to normal value.

Any idea?

PhilC
    Participant

Intracellular infections can cause a condition called secondary porphyria. The infection causes a build up of toxins inside infected cells. If an antibiotic is effective, one would expect apoptosis (cell death) of infected cells to occur, along with the subsequent release of toxic porphyrins.

Here’s how that might cause an increase in your blood pressure:

“Neurological-psychiatric symptoms of an acute intermittent porphyria are diverse and can occur in the form of peripheral nerve palsies, neuralgic pains, paresthesias, epilepsies, resentment and psychoses. The triad of cardiovascular symptoms, especially tachycardia and hypertension is completed. The acute intermittent porphyria is not associated with increased photosensitivity.”

See: https://www.lecturio.com/magazine/porphyria/

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

worldofme
    Participant

Does it go away?

PhilC
    Participant

Yes, it should eventually go away after your body excretes the toxic porphyrins. Drinking plenty of fluids should help, but avoid milk, sugary soda-pop and alcoholic beverages.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.