Home Forums General Discussion Why does Minocin work better than generic minocycline?

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    TrustingGod
    Participant

After 22 years, my insurance will no longer pay for Minocin. I have found some generics to be less effective. Do we know why Minocin brand works better than the generic?

TrustingGod
    Participant

So in reading past posts, it appears that pelletized generics are better than generics with powder. Why is that? Is it because it is some form of sustained release formulation? Is it potency? If it is due to a sustained release formulation, why not take minocycline ER or doxy ER?

vinny
    Participant

I have been using Minocycline since 2008. Powder filled capsules do not work for me, but generic tablets do work for me. I use a brand called Minoz from India that works very well for me. The price is reasonable

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

cosmo
    Participant

I started AP therapy 13 months ago. I take pelletized 100mg mino 3 times a week. My last blood work just came back. All my markers for RA are now in the normal range. I also follow a low lectin diet and feel better than I have in years.

Maz
    Keymaster

That sounds like remission, cosmo – way to go! Are you ready to write your remission Story for the site?

SS
    Participant

Hi Vinny:
    You have mentioned Minoz from India works better for you please let me know which company it is.
    I want to try it also so please let me know.
    Thanks for the post
    Regards
    s

vinny
    Participant

I buy Minoz 100mg Minocycline tablets from alldaychemist.com They are made by Sun Pharmaceuticals

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

SS
    Participant

Thank you Vinny for the information.
    Regards
    ss

PhilC
    Participant

So in reading past posts, it appears that pelletized generics are better than generics with powder. Why is that?

As far as I’ve been able to determine, pelletized minocycline is only better than powder-filled capsules because it is less likely to cause stomach upset. The best analogy I’ve been able to come up with is that pelleted Minocin (or its equivalent) is essentially the pharmaceutical equivalent of a cluster bomb — after the capsule shell dissolves, the pellets are supposed to spread around in the stomach before disintegrating.

I believe that there are two main reasons why Minocin seems to be more effective than generic minocycline:

1. Some generics are inferior (poorly made).
    2. Some people are allergic or sensitive to some of the excipients found in generic minocycline.

The first problem can usually be worked around by sticking to generics that other people have had success with. The second problem may require trying several generics in order to find one that works well.

These are some of the generics people have had success with:

Torrent capsules
    Zydus capsules

Par tablets
    Torrent tablets

If the cost is not a concern, consider trying minocycline tablets first, and preferably tablets made by Par or Torrent. Although the tablets are more expensive, they don’t contain corn starch or synthetic dyes. And both of those (Par and Torrent) are made in the U.S. I have used both of those generics and was satisfied with their quality. Vinny also had good results with Par and Ranbaxy (now Torrent) minocycline tablets, despite having unsatisfactory results from powder-filled capsules.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

MarthaNH
    Participant

Hi Cosmo, I am very curious where you are finding the pelletized 100mg mino? Is there a brand name for these — and do you get them from the USA or elsewhere? Thanks in advance!

As of 1/8/2020: Solodyn 105mg MWF & Saturday, Valtrex (1 gram, 3x a day), Plaquenil (200mg 1x a day), Probiotics, Vit B, Calcium & Magnesium, D3 (10,000 per day), Zinc, Vitamin C (at least 5 grams a day), Glutathione, Klaire Labs Bi-Carb Formula (for increased alkaline) 4x a day. CurcuPlex-95 by Xymogen, 16+ oz of celery juice first thing in the morning (nothing added to it). Magnets. Acupuncture. Diagnosis: RA 1996 (which came on suddenly with Lyme infection).

"The journey IS the destination."

cosmo
    Participant

Hi Martha, I get my mino through buylowdrugs.com out of Canada.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Martha,

I see that you are taking Solodyn now. Did your doctor suggest that? Also, how long have you been taking 10,000 I.U. of vitamin D daily?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

MarthaNH
    Participant

Hi Phil, My doctor did not suggest Solodyn. I did my own research (see my response from today to my own post) and asked if he’d be willing to prescribe it and he was (he is in Kennebunk ME)! And been taking 10,000 IU of Vitamin D for at least a couple years now (I used to do 5,000 prior). I need to keep my D levels high for my skin cancer issue — for my last physical in 2018 the level was 80. I will be doing more blood work this week as I just had my 2020 physical so I will be curious what the level will be… I was aiming for 100 but I am guessing I will fall short of that. When my D levels are low, my skin cancers tend to surface more frequently. I have had over 30 MOHs surgeries on my face/scalp (and that doesn’t include many many other skin cancers I have removed elsewhere. I have a great surgeon in MA who came from Dana Farber in Boston.

As of 1/8/2020: Solodyn 105mg MWF & Saturday, Valtrex (1 gram, 3x a day), Plaquenil (200mg 1x a day), Probiotics, Vit B, Calcium & Magnesium, D3 (10,000 per day), Zinc, Vitamin C (at least 5 grams a day), Glutathione, Klaire Labs Bi-Carb Formula (for increased alkaline) 4x a day. CurcuPlex-95 by Xymogen, 16+ oz of celery juice first thing in the morning (nothing added to it). Magnets. Acupuncture. Diagnosis: RA 1996 (which came on suddenly with Lyme infection).

"The journey IS the destination."

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.