Home Forums General Discussion When you are in a FLARE, what exactly gets you out of it?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Krys
    Participant

We all have experienced times when even though on AP, things do not go well.
    We are in pain, get panicky, scared, discouraged, want to throw in a towel…

It may help all who are in the grips of pain and fear if we all shared what exact methods work for all of us, individually, to get us out of the flare.

Please, share how you, personally, got out and stayed out!

I will not be moderating this thread as my present flare is induced by big stress and my brain is in a big overload. I do everything that worked for me in the past and it is only working now for a few hours. The mental / emotional overload is quite unbearable.
    But, please, DO share what helped you feel “normal”, pain-free, clear-minded.
    Warm wishes, Krys

Davit
    Participant

Hi

First you have to realize what causes a flare. Pain and inflammation from a reaction to white cell cleaning out the dead cells that the antibiotic has killed is the usual cause. Prednisone being an immune suppressant slows or stops the process. This basically is how MTX and the other conventional drugs in that class work.Unfortunately the Micoplasma still grow.
    So prevent the flare instead. Avoid foods you know increase the chance of it happening. Because not all flares are related to the disease. For instance Aspartame will put me down in about 20 minutes. So will corn flour, most other irritants take longer.

Of the some 400 bacteria that live in you Micoplasma are the most trouble and they are not actually bacteria. They are gram positive but unlike other gram positives they lack a cell wall so can’t be stained, that and their size make them very hard to find.
    They also do not need a host but do use one until they decide to move some where else. There is more than one form, the one that causes Pneumonia looks different from the one that causes Arthritis. The one that causes Pneumonia is shaped like a pear and attaches itself to the inside of the lung but on the surface. The one that causes Arthritis looks like a cork screw and bores it’s way into other cells. It is quite mobile when it has to be. It lives on the protein normal cells need and some studies say it will live in a normal cell. When it does this the only way the white cells can get at it is to take the normal cell too.Much like burning a house to get the terrorists out. This of course cause inflammation as the white cell encapsulates it. That is why more is not better when it comes to Antibiotics. Any antibiotic that makes the protein unavailable will work except not all Antibiotics can enter a joint. Minocycline is one that will. Minocin was the best if you are actually treating Micoplasma. Not some other bacterial infection. Or an allergy or leaky gut or some other infection that likes joints. Most tests for Micoplasma look for antibodies which doesn’t give you the actual type of Micoplasma only that it is there. Interesting that Pneumonia is accepted but Arthritis is not. But then since the type that causes Pneumonia can’t travel without help it can be killed. Since it is expected that you will be in bed in pain it is acceptable to be crippled from the Antibiotic. Although it is thought to be the disease. You can do this with Arthritis except that because of it’s mobile nature it will just travel and if you do kill it what is too keep you from catching it again since everyone is basically a carrier.
    I’m babbling here. What do I do, Pain killers and an extra 5 mg of Prednisone, no matter what is actually causing it.
    Interesting thing, this summer I was on heavy intravenous antibiotics for infection for a perforated ulcer. No sign of arthritis till they stopped the antibiotics, which were not first choice for Micoplasma and since I don’t have Lyme, what am I fighting?
    I take Minocin to keep the Micoplasma from coming back but I seem to be fighting a Gram Negative also.

Davit

laurawm
    Participant

Hi Krys,

Here’s my list:

1. dead sea salt baths every night (salt pulls toxins out by osmosis and minerals replenish the body and aid detox)
    2. liquid sea minerals – aid body in detox and balance ph, difficult for me to get down but very helpful
    3. coffee enemas (thanks to your advice)
    4. fermented veggies (for me, stimulates bowel elimination – says something about the state of my gut)
    5. activated charcoal binder for toxins – need to try some different binders, but binders in general I am finding to be helpful
    6. fasting (have tried this for 36 hours and it almost completely wiped out a flare)
    7. infrared sauna (I cannot yet tolerate the sauna but at low times and temps – otherwise the detox is too much and actually causes a herx because my body can’t sweat out fast enough all the toxins drawn out of my cells)
    8. Traditional Medicinals detox teas – these only help a little, but do provide me some relief
    9. Meyer’s cocktail IV – only tried this once, but it was helpful – not complete relief, but a good help

I’ve tried a number of other methods with varying degrees of success, but these are the ones that seem to make a fast, noticeable difference for me personally.

🙂 Laura

jaminhealth
    Participant

For me, and I don’t deal with RA, but OA and Fibro, lots of OA. And not taking AP now.

I’ve heard from so many over the years about a flare on the FM/CFS board I’m a member of.
    I don’t think I’ve ever had a flare in the last 12 yrs since the FM dx.

BUT, a couple weeks ago we had a huge cold snap here in So. Cal. and I had pain that would NOT
    end…waking up at 3AM, 2AM in pain, having to take 1/2 vicodin to get back to sleep….

When the cold snap broke and we got some warmer weather, the so called flare left me.

Talking to an acupuncturist the other day who is China trained, says the Chinese were the first
    to connect the cold and joint/muscle pains.

So, that’s my story on a flare…for now anyway. jam

richie
    Participant

Hi When I was sick and flares occured -I just kept to the program –didnt change anything –didnt add anything {except for an Aleve } –it does pass over and go away —
    richie

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

5. activated charcoal binder for toxins – need to try some different binders, but binders in general I am finding to be helpful

Laura, Krys – I have found broken cell-wall chlorella the absolute best for eliminating toxins and, recently, it seemed to nip a flare in the bud. The one I have is Lifestream, only because I found it OTC here (mostly have to order online) but there are other choices, including Mercola. The one thing that is a MUST is that it must be broken cell-wall to be digestible:

Chlorella, a single-celled, micro-algae, is one of the most powerful detoxification tools to eliminate accumulated toxins, including mercury, in your body.
    Body fat accumulates 10 to 100 times more toxins than your blood. One of the best ways to remove these toxins include detoxifying foods like high quality whey protein concentrate that has the precursors for glutathione, exercise, and using an infrared sauna.
    Whole chlorella is completely indigestible, so in order to work as a detoxifyer, its cell wall must be broken during manufacturing process.
    Chlorella also contains complete proteins, so vegans and vegetarians can use it to enhance their B vitamin and protein intake.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/02/01/is-this-one-of-natures-most-powerful-detoxification-tools.aspx

Also, go slow. I believe herxing possible from too much too soon. I have never taken more than 4 tabs and worked up to that.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Valsmum
    Participant

Hi Krys,

When I am in a flare I eat mostly greens. Fasting seems to help knockout a flare faster than anything else for me. I just started the coffee enemas you recommended and I think that those would seem to help a flare because I feel better now having tried it.

Hope if you are in a flare now that you feel better soon. Take care!! Hugs to you!

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Fasting seems to help knockout a flare faster than anything else for me.

Actually, my AP doc also agrees with that. Says that is one of the reasons rheumatic patients tend to do well in hospital on a nil-by-mouth regime. I think you have been a fasting subscriber, so probably well know the drill for those. Hope you feel better soon, Krys.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Eva Holloway
    Participant

I started to do green smoothies, just green veggies, such as Kale, spinach, some green apple,part avocado, flaxseed, and coconut water mixed in the blender to a smoothie. Now after a week I can tell the difference,less pain, specially fromthe cold weather.i try to stay gluten-free which is another issue.
    Eva 😕

Eva Holloway

Krys
    Participant

Davit, Laura, Jam, Richie, Lynnie, Sheri, Eva — Thank you VERY much!!!

I started this thread with others in mind and I am benefiting myself. Thank you!

My overall flare seems to be mostly due to 2 big stresses. Detox is helping me with physical pain (I did not realize that emotional stress is so toxic and can even bring about physical pain), but the brain overload, borderline autism, and organs that seem like they would like to explode, stay.
    Because I am over- …-everything, I’m panicking and start inner trashing around: did my myelin sheaths get more damaged? Overload as a reaction to sounds, smells, electricity, everything becoming a huge stress, is always present with myelin sheath destruction. My brain issues improved on 1st year of abx and now with big stress (Rifampin for Bartonella may be playing a role), they are worse again.
    What if my adrenals are crashing?
    I had many signs over last 2 years. Cholestyramine (bile binder) and coffee enema, if done too often, cause immediate kidney pain. Adrenals need cholesterol. Frequent kidney pain with good labs, exhaustion, bone and joint pains, may be just due to adrenal malfunction. Now low ability to handle stress has turned into unbearable inability to let go of what I cannot help and cannot change. Overstressed adrenals? I keep agonizing about people and situations. Even if I cannot help them, I still cannot let go. It becomes a toxic overload. And because of personal involvement, my attempts at letting go and relaxing are not working.
    I don’t know how to do emotional detox. 😥

I took a bunch of herbs: Schisandra, Hops, Wild lettuce, Skullcap. No calming effect.
    If I had any tranquilizers, I would take them.
    I did some tapping on meridian points. 20 minutes help, sometimes none, just high blood pressure.
    Coffee enema helped for 2 hours. Should have repeated, but blood pressure spiked and stayed spiked all the next day. It means the liver cannot metabolize coffee, even the small amount absorbed.

Green juice helps a little and I did only raw vegetables today and it is helping more than I expected. Many hours. Thanks!!! Hopefully it just needs more time. Heart and lungs still keep pounding, so does the head. But there are some hours now when they behave.
    Sea minerals sound very good. Will look into them. Chlorella helps for a couple of hours. I actually switched to 20 Chlorella capsules because of the link you posted, Lynnie, about 2 years ago! I used to take 2-3 caps 1-2 x a day, until I read your link. And 20 caps do work better for me. I can only take them for 3-4 days or big gut pain results. Then 2 days break, some other binder in the meantime, and I restart Chlorella with no problem.

I forgot about my daily fermented veggies for more than a week. Thanks for the reminder, Laura! But am awaitening a kimchi maker, so will start making my own fermented veggies soon!

Fasting is a brilliant idea!!! Thank you!!!
    I’m always hungry and eating most of the time. So giving my organs rest and at the same time getting all the inflammatory compounds digested in the process, sounds fantastic!!! At least, if I fail the fast and eat only green veggies, it will still be very beneficial.
    The major problem here is that water fasting is more difficult than anything else I have ever done in my life. 14 hours is my biggest achievement. 😳 I’ve started to work on getting myself ready.

My plan: starting with just raw veggies (already started), then switching to raw green juices only (am doing them once a day), something like the 21 day program at http://www.doctoryourself.com/juicefast.html except, hopefully, no starches when the juice fast is over. I hope.
    I’ll keep contemplating water fasting. I read about it a lot in the past, I think it is something that would work the best. Repeated thinking and planning will hopefully ripen me up to actually do it.

Thank you all very much!!!
    If you know of any way to do emotional detox and release, can you please share how you did it?
    Warm wishes and great well-being to everyone,
    Krys

laurawm
    Participant

Krys, I am so sorry you are in such a state. As mentioned in another thread, I am having an extremely strong emotional response to the network spinal analysis treatment I am receiving. The doctor can touch certain points on my neck, head, and spine and it literally sends me into what feels like a spiral into my subconscious with images and emotions from my past and an inevitable aching cry – but not in a negative way – it feels like a release that I have not been able to do on my own. It could be worth looking into to see if there is a practitioner in your area – or perhaps some other energy clearing therapies might help? I imagine you are more versed in these types of treatments (acupuncture, rife, sound wave, light, etc.) than I am, but my experience so far is very interesting.

Also, I find complete water fasts also unbearable to the point of dry heaving and throwing up water – I can’t remember exactly what I did for my 36 hour fast a few months back, but I believe it involved lots of herbal teas with lemon and a teaspoon of maple syrup to keep my blood sugar from diving. I’ve heard just going on a juicing fast is as effective and overall healthier for the body – however, I’ve wondered if it might elicit an even greater herx from the enzymes and detox effects of the greens/juice, but I’ve not tried it so not sure…

Hope you feel better soon – laura

Laura

Krys
    Participant

@laurawm wrote:

..I am having an extremely strong emotional response to the network spinal analysis treatment I am receiving. The doctor can touch certain points on my neck, head, and spine and it literally sends me into what feels like a spiral into my subconscious with images and emotions from my past and an inevitable aching cry – but not in a negative way – it feels like a release that I have not been able to do on my own.

Network spinal analysis treatment sounds fascinating!!! I’ll search within your posts for more. And if find practitioners doing it, I’m sure it will be very beneficial.
    Thank you!!!
    And yes, even other spinal manipulation techniques should be helpful. I forgot about that! I know a simple massage on the soft tissue alongside the spine, that can do wonders for the whole body. Naprapathic massage, too. I used to take all kinds of massage on a regular basis within my first year of AP, and they helped immensely. I forgot! Thank you so much for the reminder that there are many solutions, if only we know of them.

I’ve never done sound treatment, except for gong, singing bowls and listening to chakra cleansing music. I could not handle the last one. My body responded with such intense pounding within some chakras that I thought I would go crazy and had to stop. Maybe my blockages were too big.

.. a juicing fast ….I’ve wondered if it might elicit an even greater herx from the enzymes and detox effects of the greens/juice, but I’ve not tried it so not sure…

It probably depends on a person and what is happening at any given moment within the body. I get herxes from enzymes, but I surely am depleted, as ImmunoPro or raw green juice always give me an initial blissful bubbles within the brain effect. Herx starts later, but was bigger when I started ImmunoPro than on green juices.
    I keep being surprised that I can still herx. I though that over 2 year very intense treatment should have taken care of most of the bugs. And yet I still herxed when I restarted oil pulling, then on ingestion of coconut oil (can’t stand it, so discontinued), and very surprisingly huge time on Rifampin for Bartonella. I did not expect it because my Bart symptoms were already really greatly diminished and am treating it first to make it easier on my spleen when I start treating Babesia. And yet, for 5 weeks, pain would wake me up at night and it was the biggest ongoing pain I had experienced. The pain from herx is over, or so I think? Maybe the emotional overload is a part of it.

I was very drawn to raw juicing, to doing a milder version of Gerson treatment, but my past TCM doc kept telling I should not do it. First due to being “cold”, and when I improved, he said I am too depleted, too low life force. When I wanted to do it just during the weekend, he said “How about 1 weekend a month only?” It kept me away from juicing.
    I think the 21 days recipe given by Andrew Saul is very doable. I am depleted when compared to my pre-Lyme, greatly so, but I don’t feel that low in life energy that I wouldn’t benefit from juicing. I think I may use carrot juice basis. It is more warming than green juices and I might use additional support (I hope it will not cancel the effect of just juicing) of hot ginger tea + lemon. I’ll see. It is only 8 days of strict juicing, it should not be that hard on the body.

I’ve never tried hypnotherapy. Well, I have, within a group workshop setting. I know it can be great help with releasing all kinds of deep emotions, but I am scared stiff when I think my mind can be bared open to suggestion by a stranger whose ethics I don’t really know.

I was doing a lot methods when I tried to heal myself from 7 year long, unbeknownst to me, mold exposure, prior to being infected with Lyme. They all worked to a degree, none really worth the time and often the money spent. Same with intense herbal treatment. Helped a lot, but not enough. EFT made my gums, my eye and face swell up. Obviously the infection was there. Maybe now it’s worthwhile trying again? I love Ho’oponopono combined with some tapping. Very pleasant, but for me very short lasting relief. I like it, so I still do it. Meditation, if I’m capable (toxicity makes it impossible) also helps for a few hours. But the combined effect would mean doing one method after another practically non-stop, which is just not possible.
    Thank you for your suggestion!
    Warm wishes, Krys

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.