Home Forums General Discussion Phil C: What Brand of Minocycline is Best?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Julie D
    Participant

Hi Phil,

It’s been recommended that I check in with you to find out which brands of minocycline are best to use, since Minocin is not available!

Thank you!
    Julie D

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Julie,

I’m sorry, I didn’t see your message until yesterday, and I didn’t reply right away because I wanted to do a little research first to see if much had changed since the last time I answered this question. I recommend sticking with one of these generics: Actavis capsules, Torrent capsules, Par tablets, Strides tablets (same as Par), or Torrent tablets. However, I would avoid Actavis if you are (or think you may be) allergic to D&C Red No. 28 or D&C Yellow No. 10. Of the generics listed above, Actavis is the only one that contains dyes.

There may be other good generics, but the ones I’ve listed above are the generics that this forum’s members have the most experience with. Also, some generics do not “agree” with some people, so it may be worthwhile to try several of them. For example, I don’t like Actavis capsules because I started having a problem with skin rashes shortly after I started taking them (I’m probably allergic to D&C Red No. 28).

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

RandiK
    Participant

Hi. I was diagnosed a year ago with RA. I started using LDN soon thereafter and it put me in remission but recently I had hip surgery and because I had to pause the LDN, when I restarted, it didn’t work. I discovered the Road Back and the AP last year when first diagnosed, and finally started Minocycline 2 weeks ago. 100mg once a day everyday. The only brand available to me at my pharmacy is Zydus Minocycline. Is this reliable and does it work as well as the other brands listed above? I would like to switch to Torrent but don’t know how to find it or what pharmacy has it available. What is known about Zydus and its effectiveness. Thank you.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Randi,

As far as I know, so far there haven’t been any bad reports on here about Zydus mino. It’s very likely that your pharmacy can get other minocycline generics. The “trick” is knowing what to ask for. When you call your pharmacy, ask them what kind of minocycline tablets they can get. In my experience, unless you specify that you want tablets, pharmacies will almost always fill your prescription with capsules.

Be aware that, depending on your insurance, minocycline tablets may end up costing you more. That may no longer be the case, but it definitely was in the past.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.