Home Forums General Discussion What are you giving up for Lent?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Tiff
    Participant

Hey all!

Thought I'd drop in and give a quick update.  Long time no see!

We spent the Holidays in total chaos.  Can't recall if I posted much of it, but suffice it to say that we were (and are) all over the place in our little family.  It is a long story, so I will shorten it.

*My son and I moved 3 hours from my hubby so that my son can be on a gymnastics team to compete on the trampoline and be back in the city

*My daughter is doing a semester of college in Europe

*I am well enough to have been active and busy through all of our moving and traveling to my son's competitions

So that is all good now, but was very busy and stressful.  My local (not local anymore, but the one I have been through all of this with) doc told me NOT to go off the prednisone while moving.  I planned on starting to taper the 10mg as soon as I had a completely pain free week.   Well, that did not happen until after my last infusion of Orencia on January 25.  Then I had 2 completely pain free weeks (as near as I can tell).  On the 10th I saw my rheumy.  He was grumpy that I was still on a full 10mg.  I think he was just bummed that he could not tell if his “new toy” was working or not.

What I do know is this.  I am on the prednisone lowering bandwagon, but unlike so many of you, I have not had any ill effects from that drug so I just can't get happy about stopping it.  Yet I know I must.  Not sure why it will matter that my bones will be stronger if I am bed ridden again, but oh well.

Anyway, I thought I would pop in and share my Lenten discipline with ya'all!  LOL! Wish me luck!  And happy belated Valentine's Day to everyone, too!

linda
    Participant

Hi Tiff,

Are you settled in SA yet? You didn't move to the Riverside subdivision did you? All those houses sliding down the hill, yikes! But you're down by Northwest Vista College, aren't you? Eva Holloway will be here performing with her choir in April, we should go and see her.

I think giving up pred for Lent is an excellent idea. I know it doesn't seem urgent right now, but trust me, it is. Aside from the medical problems of diabetes, weight gain, hypertension, cataracts, etc, these added diseases are very expensive, esp the diabetes. It costs me around $75 a month just for the meds, lancets, test strips; and my grocery bill is high from all of the healthy non-simple carb food. (I know, I shouldn't be eating junk food even if I don't have diabetes). And poking your fingers 2-3/day gets old real quick. But I'm lecturing, sorry, you know all of this already.

I'm thinking about what I would give up for Lent…probably my sweetener. I have tried to switch to stevia but just can't find a brand that I like. I did find a compromise tho, it's called Truvia, it's a combination of stevia and sugar. I've been using it in my tea and it's not too bad. I love my new green tea, it's green chai from Stash, loaded with cinnamon and other yummy spices. Not to mention antioxidants, and also the cinnamon is good for lowering blood sugar. Now that I'm not taking any meds for the diabetes it's even more important that I stick to my diet, and cinnamon has become my new secret weapon. OK, I will give up my aspartame in my tea and see how it goes. How spoiled am I when I'm whining about the sweetness of my tea?

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Tiff and Linda,

the only thing I would have to give up is the dark chocolate, but that is going to be real hard since someone (not my hubby) gave us a ton of dark chocolate. Can we finish it up and then say we give it up for the rest of Lent? :dude::roll-laugh:. Any other way it may spoil :roll-laugh:

Eva:D

Eva Holloway

Tiff
    Participant

Hi Linda!  Yep, I'm officially living in SA now, and yes, in the NVC area!  I love it.  I'll email you with details and I definitely want to see you, Eve, when you are performing in town.  The culture is definitely one of the perks of being in the city!

That Stash tea is my favorite!  I drink a cup daily.  I use agave nectar for sweetener.  My weakness is the cream I can't do without.  And I would like for that all to remain a non-issue, so out with the prednisone.  I am focusing on the good things about stopping it.  I am trying not to worry too much about what will come.

As for the dark chocolate, keep it!  You know, traditionally the Lenten practice of fasting is during the week.  Sundays are not part of that, so you can have some on Sundays!  😉

For me the whole point is going to be to keep hopeful.  That is something we all have to do, right?  Keep hopeful!

Drop me a PM with the details of your event, Eve, and I'll be in touch, Linda.

Kash
    Participant

Guess I can't give up Lyme?:dude:

Tiff
    Participant

[user=2011]Kash[/user] wrote:

Guess I can't give up Lyme?:dude:

You can sure try, right!  😉

Tiff
    Participant

One more thing about my situation just FYI for people considering the D issue and those looking at the MP.  I have no idea what to think about any of it anymore and profess no point of view on the subject.  I am down to trial and error!

I had blood tests done, and my vitamin D (25D) level is now at 41, so it is within the normal range.  Interestingly the 1,25 D actually dropped out of the normal range for the first time.  It was consistently normal the entire time I did the MP, even when my 25D levels were tanked.  The rheumy said that the 1,25D “did not matter,” and that it “fluxuated a lot.”  It didn't though.  It was always almost exactly the same every time I had it done until now.  Since I will be changing doctors now to see just this guy instead of the lady I was seeing before we moved, I will probably not get to have the blood tests that I want done.  This grieves me, but I don't have much choice at this point.  I was taking 2800IU/day; he recommended me adding another 1000IUs.

The anemia is much better, but now my WBC count was a bit high (which I have not had at all) and my lymphocites/neutrophils are off, too.  The doc blames the prednisone for that.  Have you all found that prednisone does this to you?

mschmidt
    Participant

I'm giving up gluten, dairy, soy, yeast, meat, sugar and sugar for Lent….Oh, and swearing, which I seem to be doing a lot of since giving up all of the above–LOL:D

And of course, being sick…I'm giving that up for sure

Maria

Patti D
    Participant

I am tired of giving up something so I am adding too my life. I am trying to do one random act of kindness every day and then not speak about it. Could be say something nice, do something nice but something not of the ordinary and maybe with some luck, for someone I don't know.

Thats the last I am talking of it!!
    Patti

A Friend
    Participant

Linda,

Like you, I tried a lot of different kinds of stevia, and all of them seemed to have an “off” taste.  Then one of my friends brought me an almost empty bottle of Kal brand powdered stevia for me to try, and I liked it very much.  My husband was wanting to lose a few pounds, and he even likes it on his oatmeal, and has used it for a long time now. 

It looks pricey when you see such a small bottle.  But, it has the tiniest little scoop in it, and lasts for ages.  One tiny scoop is about as much sweetener as a package of Sweet'n Low, etc. 

AF

A Friend
    Participant

Patti,

I love your plan!  I think I'll adopt it for Lent. 

Thanks,
    AF

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I do too Patti!!:dude: A recent meditation teacher of mine recommended this to the class as a way of bringing the ego into line. Whilst adding something to someone's life, you are giving up the ego's need to be recognised for it. Hope this brings you much joy. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Kim
    Participant

Excellent, Patti!

It's hard not to be self-involved when we're trying to restore our health and get back to some normalcy, but it's important to keep things in perspective.  IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT US! :roll-laugh:

Take care…..kim

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hey Patti & Co.
    I did this a few years ago and had so much fun that I never stopped.Watch people's faces,have a good laugh and/or a fuzzy moment.Go scratch the neighbour's dog's tummy while you are at it and make him happy too.

Patti D
    Participant

This is why we love our “little family” here. We all understand the healing properties of positve behavior.

Lynnie, I like that. giving the “ego” a break. So in the light.

I am hoping everyone has a pain free day today and that you are surrounded by loving friends & family!!!

Patti

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘ What are you giving up for Lent?’ is closed to new replies.