Home Forums General Discussion vote please

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Patti D
    Participant

Hey Sue,

Both cysts that I had were aspirated several times over a two year period. They could never get all of the junk inside or it would refill right away. Kind of like this cyst I have on my thyroid. I believe there is an infection connection for both situations.
    Anyway, the prolotherapy injects an irritant like sugar water into the cyst which forces the fluid out of the cyst on the other side. They use a dry needle. Then they refill the space with this irritant that actually hardens the cyst and causes your immune system to work with the irritant and rid yourself of the junk fluid that keeps refilling the cyst.
    The nice part of the treatment is it continues to work after your treatment has stopped. I had 3 injections in my little finger over 3 months. By the time I got to the third session my cyst was hard like a small rock but no longer hurt . Finally I am seeing the disappearance of that cyst and I have no more pain. The cyst feels very solid now but when you look at my hand the bump is gone . I went to two orthopedic surgeons for drainage and my GP tried at least 3 times to drain it. This took place in a 2 & 1/2 year time span. This is the only thing that has worked and amazing there is no pain anymore in my wrist or little finger. The treatment hurts like hell the first day but it works. I t works so well I am thinking now of having it done on my one ankle. It took a beating from the lyme and still is puffy and weak. Because I stand on my feet all day, I need good strong ankles. Of course getting rid of the extra prednisone weight would help and I am working on that too.
    The only draw back is it is an out of pocket expense and not covered by most insurances. It was well worth the money believe me.
    I am sending cyst free days your way. Hoping you get some resolve soon!

Patti

Davit
    Participant

Ok I might be playing devils advocate here but with out seeing it I can't say if you do have it. I don't think so but very few doctors would notice it and I have had to spell it for some. I looked it up to see if it is on the net. It is a product of Arthritis. It is spelt Kienb

PhilC
    Participant

[user=64]sue/ra[/user] wrote:

I've had 3 doctors tell me that the lump on my left wrist is a synovial cyst that needs to be removed (extensor tenosynovitis) or else it will erode my tendons and I will lose movement of my fingers.

Hi Sue,

Are all three of those doctors, by any chance, surgeons?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

suera
    Participant

Thanks for all the responses.

I've read about the Kienbocks, I don't think it fits that description. I didn't have an MRI, can they do that of just the hand or is it an entire body? What you describe, the tendons rupturing without any previous pain is what the doctors are telling me will happen. The doctors who say this are Rheumy, GP, and a surgeon. I don't know what to think/do, nobody has a crystal ball. :headbang:

Davit
    Participant

Sue.

When I had my MRI they put my hand in a pick up but I was still stuck in the machine. I don't know the procedure now.

I don't think you have Kienbocks either but I would say with three for and none against that the odds are stacked against you. I guess I just wanted you to know more about tendons breaking and that was sort of the only way to get it in, besides every one should know about this because it is part of Arthritis and a possibility at some time in the future.

You have lots of other descriptions of other symptoms that didn't need surgical intervention. Do you fit one of them? Do you have this cyst for the same reason as them etc.? Also if the doctors aren't pushing for an MRI then maybe it's not so bad. What sort of procedure are they talking to remove it? just day surgery under a local or table and lights. If it was just a little freeze and trim I would go for it to be on the safe side. No worse than going to the dentist.

No matter what I or any one else says this is still your decision and I hope I haven't added to the confusion too much.

Davit.

suera
    Participant

Davit, what you said was very helpful as I never heard of tendons breaking with absolutely no pain or indication until doctors started all aflutter about this last fall. I've had this thing for 4 years and not a word until September, then all of a sudden it was an emergency. Well you can see I didn't take it as such, since we are in January now. My old dog was dying though and I needed both hands to care for him, getting him in and out of the house etc., he is gone now so that's why I'm thinking about what I'm going to do about the wrist situation again. She called the procedure an extensor tenosynovitis, table/lights, 3 inch incision, all sorts of cutting bands etc. She said a long recovery….and it's my good hand, which is why I'm stalling and in denial. Thanks for your help.

Rose
    Participant

I've had a lump on the side of each wrist for over three years, and my Orthopedic surgeon said it was synovial fluid.  As I have gradually become so much better with this AP therapy (Minocin)  they have almost completely disappeared.    Rose

Davit
    Participant

Sounds like just as much table time either way. Sounds like fluid between the tendon and the sheath. I have managed to get by with cortisone shots to reduce the pressure in those. Of course I had some difficulty getting the doc to do that. My situation is different. The tendons do rub where they cross my wrist. Sounds like you are going to chance it and I have to admit I would in your shoes probably so the same since it will be the same amount of table time either way and this way there is less chance of getting infection. I think I might have had one other complication. I think I was on MTX at the time.

Good luck.
    Davit.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘ vote please’ is closed to new replies.