Home Forums General Discussion vote please

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    suera
    Participant

Good Morning,

I've had 3 doctors tell me that the lump on my left wrist is a synovial cyst that needs to be removed (extensor tenosynovitis) or else it will erode my tendons and I will lose movement of my fingers. I'm not sure of this scenario the doctors paint because, well frankly I don't trust them 100% because of the dealings I've had in the past 4 years. The reason I am reluctant is because this lump is not bothering me and it is my good hand, my right hand has a very, very weak grip. It is not causing me any pain, why monkey around with it? On the other hand if the doctors are correct, it would be a good idea to have this preventative surgery. Any thoughts? I appreciate your opinions

Trudi
    Participant

Hi Sue–

I had a lump on my right hand; my LLMD thought it might be blood filled; it went away after I started treatment for Lyme.  It never hurt me either–just unsightly–; I'm not one for surgery, so my vote is to wait.

How long have you had it? 

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

suera
    Participant

Trudi, I've had it almost four years. What type of test did you doctor do to say it was probably blood filled? Thanks for your reply.

Trudi
    Participant

No test.  Just by looking at it and feeling it.  It was on the top of my wrist, about 1 1/2″ long and maybe 3/4″ wide.  Personally, I think it was just liquid filled.  I think if it was blood, I would have seen some darkness underneath.  I can't recall how long I had it, but I don't think any longer than about a year.

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Patti D
    Participant

Sue,
    You are looking at the queen of cysts. I have just spent the last 3 months getting prolotherapy for a wrist and pinky finger cyst both ganglion but prolotherapy works for many different kinds of cysts, tendonitiis etc.
    Check in the archives for Bonnilou who had numerous posts on the success of prolotherapy. Look it up. I just completed 3 treatments and both of the “bumps” are gone. Mine did cause me pain as they were both laying on tendons. I had 3 orthopedics poke at these things for 2 years and the”alternative therapy” did the trick. Good luck!

Happy days!
    Patti

orchid
    Participant

Hey, not sure about prolotherapy for cysts but just had to add my two cents. If you have any other joint issues (weakness/pain), prolotherapy is amazing.

I'm currently seeing a doctor in CA (leaving Friday for my 2nd appt with him) and my whiplash symptoms are “finally” starting to feel better. I have several more treatments, but I'm so happy to feel more normal again. I've walked around for two years with severe weakness, pain, stiffness in my neck. Very debilitating and stressful. I had a few prolo treatments locally but my advice is to not waste your $$, but do your research and find a really GOOD prolotherapy doctor with lots of experience. PM if you need some names.

I will ask my doctor about prolo for cysts, but since Patti already replied that it works for her, you have firsthand experience right there!

Good luck…

Eva Holloway
    Participant

sue/ra

I have a ganglion cyst on my left wrist for almost 20 years, once in awhile when I have done some very heavy work it bothers me a little most of the times not at all. The sports doctor told me not to mess with it as long it doesn't get bigger or hurt constantly. So there it is and I ignore it.

Eva:D

Eva Holloway

A Friend
    Participant

Sue/RA,

I had a synovial cyst the size of a nickel on my right wrist a number of years ago.  I believe lifting a too-heavy pot of fern may have predisposed this, but probably along with a tendency for this was probably connective tissue disorder even then. 

With just not doing such as this again (putting too much strain on it), one day I looked down and it was gone. 

Another instance, I've been a walker for years.  I went to bed one night fine, and got up the next morning and couldn't bear weight on my right foot.  The podiatrist said it was a synovial cyst in the arch.  Though it did not protrude (guess it couldn't), it was very sore.  And, I had to give up walking until it cured itself… which it did. 

Sue, this is just my own experience.  It may not apply to your situation.  But, like you, I'm really skeptical as you are.  Even my daughter had carpal tunnel and they wanted to operate.  I found a book on this subject by a family practice physician who was also a researcher, along with Karl Folkers another researcher, who cured this problem with B-6 therapy, along with a complete B-Complex, etc.  (This information is on RBF BB, and can be searched).  My daughter read the book, took the recommended B-supplements, the carpal tunnel pain went away before too long, and has not returned.  No surgery. 

Though you do not have carpal tunnel syndrome, the cause of these two things MAY be related.  Would have to do research this.  At any rate, it is very important for all of us to get plenty of B-Complex vitamins, because when we are chronically ill, we've already lost one of steady sources of B vitamins — and that is from our gut flora, which is compromised in the presence of chronic illness. 

Good luck to you,

AF

TischSEB
    Participant

I had a ganglionic cyst (I think that is the same?) on the top of my left wrist about 5 years ago. I was advised against surgery as it would probably just re-form. It came and went over several years and was sometimes painful – and then eventually just disappeared altogether. Just my experience there!
    Good luck.

suera
    Participant

Thank you all very much for your replies. I find myself rushing because of the doctors and their doomed analysis, if I don't do something ASAP the synovial fluid will erode the tendons and then I will have a “real problem”, also rushing because of insurance and the end of the year. One doctor said synovial fluid is erosive, the other said it isn't. Under these circumstances and all of your input I'm canceling the surgery. I am going to try prolotherapy, the office wasn't open today. I also called today about acupuncture but he said they couldn't help. This cyst has been here for almost 4 years, it doesn't give me any trouble so these doctors are not going to bully and scare me into this surgery that “must be done”. Thank you all very much. I am very grateful for this wonderful board. Happy Thanksgiving.

Patti D
    Participant

Sue,
    The prolotherapy really works. Note Bonnielous note on the thanksgiving post. Pre warning, it does hurt to have this done but like antibiotics , it makes sense.
    I am rooting for you. It sure helped me.
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Patti

suera
    Participant

The saga continues….I went for prolotherapy and the doctor said that it wouldn't work on this cyst. He said we should aspirate it. He pulled gunk out, I saw it myself but it looks no different, not at all. If I hadn't seen for myself I would think he didn't do a thing. He said maybe in a few days the swelling would go down and it will look better. Is this what happened to you with experience with these cysts, after having any type of procedure did it take awhile to see if you reap any benefit? As always, thanks.

Davit
    Participant

Ok people. Make sure you are talking about the same thing. I had Kinebauks disease (spelt that wrong). I have had the tendons in both thumbs rubbed off and replaced. This doesn't hurt at all. The first one I didn't feel break. The second was like a rubber band. I had three tied together in my right hand but there not right. My little finger on my left doesn't work and I'm not bothering to get it fixed. I've run out of spare tendons in my arms. They would have to take them out of my legs now. There are things in your wrist they call pulleys that get sharp and do rub off tendons. The only way to tell what shape the tendons are in is by MRI. The good news is that you have two spare tendons in your forearms to use to replace ones you break. The bad news is you have to be in a cast for awhile. Hope you don't have any thing like this but I thought you should know about it.

Davit.

richie
    Participant

Hi-I had  alump on each wrist for about a year –it was leaking synovial fluid —your doctor should be able to identify the problem just by tapping it once and analyzing the fluid taken out —PS —as I got better they completely reduced and eventually went away —

richie

suera
    Participant

Davit, how did you know you had this K disease? What were your symptoms or are you saying you had no symptoms and suddenly just no control of your fingers? One doctor I went to said that's what would happen….without any pain, one day I would just have no use of my fingers because this fluid has been wearing away my tendons. Another doctor said it's a cyst filled with synnovial fluid and if it doesn't bother me, don't bother it. Of course I prefer to agree with the latter.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘ vote please’ is closed to new replies.