Home Forums General Discussion Vitamin D 3 supplements

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    mschmidt
    Participant

Joe,

I’m so glad that you said it because I was at a wellness convention put on by some of the top MD’s turned ND’s in the country in 2009, who pointed out the danger of having too low of cholesterol. Some docs in our country throw cholesterol lowering meds at patients who have a total cholesterol of 190 or higher, without taking into consideration the ratio of LDL to HDL, or triglycerides. My mom and dad have a history of high cholesterol–my dad has a high LDL (bad) number, and my mom has a high HDL (good) number. Believe it or not, their IM doctor put BOTH of them on lipitor. I understand it more for my dad (although I think he could lower it on his own–he just isn’t motivated to do so) because of his history of heart disease but, my Mom is 70 yrs old, and the only time she’s ever been in the hospital for anything in her life was when she gave birth to her 5 children. I insisted she get off the med, and she’s been in great health still to this day. I got both my parents to take Krill Oil daily, Ubiquinol, and Probiotics. Her cholesterol is still high but, she’s as healthy as they come. Both her parents died in their mid 90’s(of natural causes), and her grandparents were 100+ yrs old when they also passed from natural causes. My mom is from Central America, and the one commonality they all had, beside a healthy diet and lifestyle was their “elevated” cholesterol levels. I know Dr. Mercola talks a lot about the dangers of having too low cholesterol. If you go to his newsletter and do a search, he has several articles pertaining to this. My cholesterol is 230 right now but, after calculating the ratios and triglycerides, despite my family history of heart disease, my cardiac risk is in the lowest sector–go figure! 😀

Maria

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

My cholesterol is 230 right now but, after calculating the ratios and triglycerides, despite my family history of heart disease, my cardiac risk is in the lowest sector–go figure!

Maria – as your post shows, the total cholesterol number is meaningless by itself – most people dont understand this, and that includes alot of doctors. It needs to be changed because most people dont educate themselves about it the way you (and Joe) have. But perhaps there’s not much incentive to do so with sales of Lipitor going along quite nicely. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

vera
    Participant

Hi Maria or Lynnie,

Could you tell me how to calculate the ratios for cholesterol? Just had mine checked and wasn’t quite sure how to do that (according to Dr. Mercola’s method anyway). These are my numbers:
    Total cholesterol = 319
    Triglycerides = 50
    HDL = 86
    LDL = 223

Thank you!

Lori

aynurrzepa
    Participant

Hi Lori,

if you allow me… If you google, you will find lots f sites where they show how to do that. there are various ratios: TTL/HDL or LDL/HDL or even HDL/LDL. Check this out: http://cholesterol.emedtv.com/cholesterol/cholesterol-ratio-p2.html

Your good cholesterol HDL is very high which is great.

TTL/HDL =. 319 divide by 86 = 3.7, the goal is to keep this ratio below 5:1 (or less than 5), with the ideal being below 3.5:1 (or less than 3.5). Yours looks good, just a tiny bit above the ideal
    or 223/86 = 2.6, the goal is to keep it below 3.5:1, with the ideal being under 2.5:1. Again yours is almost ideal (2.6)

vera
    Participant

Hi Aynurrzepa,

Thanks for calculating the ratios for me! And for showing me how to do it in the future. I really appreciate it. My doctor told me my cholesterol was ‘high’ – and needed to be lowered. I went to Dr. Mercola’s information, but wasn’t sure how to do the math! The only fats I generally eat are olive oil, coconut oil, fish oil. Thought I was doing ok diet-wise, but maybe need to tweek something a bit. Anyway, I feel better now with this information! Thanks for your help!

Lori

aynurrzepa
    Participant

Just as a follow up on my “disturbed” statements earlier here, I received my latest Vit D3 results and they are in optimal range 66 ng/ml! That was after 1 month off any vit D3 supplements. So possibly the second last test result was either wrong (1864 ng/ml) or it was correct and went down so fast in 1 month!

Go figure!

Anyway, I’m happy my vit D3 is good now. I will continue supplementing with 4,000 IU a day.

I just thought I let you know 😀

aynurrzepa
    Participant

and by the way, my vit D 1,25 was also in normal range. So, there goes the Marshall Protocol theory…

mariemcminn
    Participant

@Patti D wrote:

I don’t know about everyone else but my doctor insisted I up my D to 5000 iu per day because of having a chronic illness. My lab work showed a deficiency in summer and seeing how I spend a great deal of time outdoors in the summer that was unusual. They are saying on the news that 600 to 1000 is enough based on these new studies . So what is everyone doing and how much does everyone take currently if any? I have to say this is the one supplement that I can truly say makes me feel better.

Hi Patti,

D Action just published the findings of a 3,667-person study on February 21. You can read about the results at http://www.grassrootshealth.net/.

I’m taking 6,000 UI/day and my last test showed 53 ng/dl. I’m trying to get my levels to 60-80 ng/dl, and my next labs should confirm this. I too feel much better when my levels are optimum. I also go to Florida in the winter, so that helps quite a bit!

Marie

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.