Home Forums General Discussion Vitamin D 3 supplements

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    aynurrzepa
    Participant

Well i spoke (wrote) too soon. I now read more obout MP and can see that some of my thoughs are echoed there whereas the whole science behind MP is so mind bogging… MP is hard to believe as it’s 1- too complicated to understand easily and 2 – against everything I read to date and it calls my favourite AP immunosupressive!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ and calls our abx doses HIGH! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ I’m confused and I have to say thanks to Marianne Welch for this! ๐Ÿ˜‰

And my vit D test results came back… I couldn’t believe them so I asked to re-test… it’s 1864 ng/ml! from 12 ng/ml 2 months ago! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜ฏ i though AI patients coudl not reach such high levels with supplementation becasue as per MP it’s all converted into D2 1,25 D? I might’ve misunderstood it so I sought for some assistance from experienced MP-er to understand the MP Vit D theory…

I feel fine and experience no symptoms of vit D toxicity Dr. Mercola talks about so I am puzzled here, too…

Off to read more on MP site as well as the links Phil gave me…

Sorry for my rumbling… i’m disturbed… ๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿ˜‰

I am going to stick with AP unless EVERYTHING on MP makes sense to me and easy to understand… I/m very comfortable with AP but I do know I was feeling absolutely fine with very low D levels which kind of supports the MP theory… Now I am feeling fine with such high vit D levels… I’m totally confused as nothing (MP/MP Vit D theory/non-MP Vit D theory) seems to make sense anymre…apart from AP. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

aynurrzepa
    Participant

Now I read more about MP and I am even more worried as I started to understadn more…My D25 is so high I cannot believe it! I’ve asked to re-test… also to test D1,25. MP says if D25 is too high antibiotics will not work in reducing the pathogenic load… I though by increasing my Vit D3 I was doing myself good and never expected such jump from 12 to 1864! I still cannot believe it but what IF it’ IS TRUE? Do I need to panic? ๐Ÿ˜ฏ I never thought my D3 supplementation will work so fast… ๐Ÿ™ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Phil, did you try MP? Does it make sense to you? Any evidence from fellow AP-ers than higher D3 levels make recovery slower? Buy there is dofferences in high… 1864 ig HUGE! I find it difficult to believe it’s so high… I’m feeling no differrent, too…

aynurrzepa
    Participant

OK, my verbal diarrhea about MP is about to finish! I can congratulate you all! And myself. ๐Ÿ˜†

Sorry, I couldn’t keep myself from posting uncontrollably alongside getting more info about MP until I finally read a second informed opinion about it and got satisfied. Looks like he has got the whole thing about Vit D wrong by using non-medical research methods. MP can be quite dangerous, too. Seems it’s possibly good solution only for sarcoidosis patients but cannot be extended onto other inflammatory deceases. Dr. Mercola explains it very well in this article:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/03/14/Clearing-Up-Confusion-on-Vitamin-D–Why-I-Dont-Recommend-the-Marshall-Protocol.aspx

We are not designed to hide from the sun. Or avoid eating certain foods.

Since I started taking vit D supplements I stopped getting colds and flus or any other infections. How can Vit D supplementaiton be immunosuppressive if it helps ward off short term infections? My vit D levels are very high now after huge supplementation ( ๐Ÿ˜ณ ) but I am still feeling fine and not getting colds. I am not getting worse… nor do I think I will get worse and pay for my supplementation with a dear price later on. I maybe wrong only time can show but I will just stick with what seems to work best for me and at the moment it’s AP, supplementation and diet by the Nutritional typing.

Patti, read the article in the link above – see if it helps you calrify your doubts like it helped me?

I just have to get my Vit D test re-done to see if it is really that high, I will just stop supplementing until levels go down. Hopefully sooner than later. At least I know I have no problems with absorbing vit D ๐Ÿ˜†

Kim
    Participant

Hi Aynur,

You’re doing exactly what you should be doing……..researching and learning all you can about various ways to treat.

At one point I was intrigued by MP too and decided to try it to ramp up AP. What a mistake! For 6 months on MP all of my SD symptoms came roaring back and I felt worse than I ever had. I had extreme dizziness, so much so that I was afraid to drive. At that time there were a handful of SD patients on the program (had been for several years) and none of them were doing that well. I bailed out, went back on AP, got some sun, and immediately started improving again. So, there’s my 2 cents!

Take care…..kim

PhilC
    Participant

@aynurrzepa wrote:

Phil, did you try MP? Does it make sense to you? Any evidence from fellow AP-ers than higher D3 levels make recovery slower? Buy there is dofferences in high… 1864 ig HUGE! I find it difficult to believe it’s so high… I’m feeling no differrent, too…

Hi Aynur,

No, I haven’t tried the Marshall Protocol. Yes, the MP makes sense to me. However, I don’t think it should be applied in a general way. I believe that the part regarding vitamin D restriction is only appropriate for some patients– specifically, the ones whose vitamin D metabolism has been messed up by an infection with certain pathogens. For me the most interesting part of the MP are the antibiotic combinations that can be used.

You’ve been taking 50,000 I.U. of vitamin D every day for several months. Is that correct? If so, did a doctor prescribe that dosage for you, or was it your decision to take that much?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

aynurrzepa
    Participant

Thanks Kim!

Thanks Phil for sharing your thoughts and yes, the dosage was my idea. I started it like that myself scared of my very low levels. When I told him what I was doing after he tested me 2nd time 2 months after my first test and saw them doubling but still very low (from 6 to 12) he said OK try for another 2 months with this dose and we will see what to do from there. He wanted to prescribe me One Alpha which is D2 supplement and a normal thing normal docs woudl do but I said NO to it and asked if I could try with 50,000 IU/day of D3 for another 2 months which he agreed to. I think he also believed my levels would be goign up realy slowly… Now he is also very intrigued and wants to re-test. He also said not to worry about such high level even if’s re-confirmed as it’s not a concern! which is surprising to me but I tend to believe him as I’m feeling fine…

vonni
    Participant

Just wanted to let you all know that I recently read that mycoplasma thrive on cholesterol. I thought it was very interesting, since my cholesterol dropped 32 points after I became ill with SD and Lyme–even though I had discontinued my medication for elevated cholesterol. No dietary modification.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Aynur,

There is a reason I asked about the dose of vitamin D you’ve been taking. Based on the reading I have done, the recommended dose for treating vitamin D deficiency is 50,000 IU once a week for eight weeks. When that much vitamin D is given daily, it is only for a short period of time, such as one to three weeks.

Here’s some reading material for you:
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/516238_4
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1495109/
    http://www.aafp.org/afp/2005/0115/p299.html
    http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminD/

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

aynurrzepa
    Participant

Thanks Phil,

I feel I may have goofed up a bit taking such high dose but I am feeling fine and no signs of any toxicity yet. My doc is also telling me there is no reason for concern about such high levels… I stopped supplementing completely and I would be interested to see where my levels are. I guess I will know when I have it re-tested.

APbeliever
    Participant

vonni, you are so correct in your assumption!. My chlosterol was really low also when RA started two years ago (It had never been that low without exercise or diet or pills). I kept asking doctors why my chlosterol went so low when I was not doing anything and they could not provide any answers.After coming to this board, I finally realized when I saw similar posts relating to the same issues.

Joe RA
    Participant

APbeliever, I have posted about low cholesterol being the cause of my severe RA many times 6 or 7 years ago on the old roadback board but did’nt have too many replies or comments back then, short /long story, My cholesterol and triglycerides were real high, 465/3700 everybody said I should be dead , I got them both down with-in a year to a below normal of 150/ 140 , This was about the time I started to get joint pain in 1998. I later found out, lowering my cholesterol was the worst thing I could have done, it killed my immune system, I lost 45 lbs. Before all of this happend I was “healthy as a horse”. Now I am healthy again with my high cholesterol and triglycerides, 295/589 and most of it is from raw cows milk and cod liver oil. Vitamin D can not be used in the body without cholesterol, learn more at http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com click on cholesterol and health, then on the side bar click on vitamin D…. Joe

aynurrzepa
    Participant

Joe,

I’m sure despite high total cholesterol, your good/bad cholesterol ratios were fine? Can you please tell us?

My cholesterol was also high – 247 but my ratios were so great I had NIL risks, however by reducing or totally eliminating grains from diet, taking krill oi, coconut oil and niacin (baut maintaining the diet of healty organinc aniamal/saturated fats and olive oil with no other vegetable oils) I reducced it to 207, however still maintaining the excellent ratios. I felt fine with high choleterol despite SD then and I still feel fine good now with my cholesterol being only slightly over the norm of 200. What’s interesting my reserve D3 (25 OHD) was extremely low even when my total cholesterol was higher – only 6 ng/ml. But I’m sure my cholesterol helped my active D3 (1,25) to do it’s immune work well hence my good wellbeing. Now with supplementation my reserve vit D3 skyrocketed as you can see from my posts here (still feeling fine, i.e. no toxicity signs but I temporarily stopped supplementation until levels reduce to optimal) and my cholesterol although lower than before (207) is still in high levels. My good cholesterol is really high – 79! My tryglecirides remain stable in high normal range.

Such a strong connection between cholesterol, autoimmune deceases, Vid D3 and wellbeing! My husband is also a good example of such strong connection between these 4 and curerntly he is being treated from helicobacter pilory with abx (low D3, high cholesterol, feeling fine)

Joe RA
    Participant

Hi: Aynurrsepa, My HDL is 31 , should be 40 + and my ratio is 9.1 , should be 5.0 , because my triglcycerides are above 400 my LDL can not be read. I don’t believe in the Good & Bad, lables the drug companies made-up for us to believe. Before the 1990s, few people ever heard of cholesterol and if we look back and remmember the ” Free Cholesterol ” tests were given in every hospital, health orgs., schools and shopping malls ect. we can see how the Big money making Con started to unfolded. That little prick on the finger started the billions of dollars rolling in for all involved, doctors, hospitals, labs, ect all loved the new patients. There is no “bad” cholesterol only good and we can not live without it. …… Joe

aynurrzepa
    Participant

That’s an interesting viewpoint, Joe, which I donlt mind to investigate. Could you please advise some resources to start from? I just persuaded my hubby not to take statins and 1// try to reduce cholesterol naturally and 2// request details of the lipid profile (presuming I still believe in god/bad cholesterol). Sure enough, knowing his diet (and I use only good fats for the last 1 year and little to no wheat, grains) his ratios were good enough not to start statins.

Now I would like to know more about the theory of “no good/bad cholesterol” as almost every new book, article I read nowadays written by supporters, propagators and educator of functional, alternative, natural, dietary medicine talks about the bad and the good…

Thanks!

Joe RA
    Participant

aynurrzepa, Go to http://www.westonaprice.org on the home page go to search and type “the benefits of high cholesterol” you will be guided to a list of hours of reading about high cholesterol and its many proven studies of how good it is for our bodies and you can deside for yourself. I tried to find “proof” of some bad things about it and all I found was hearsay. It has nummorous uses in our entire body as you will see. ………………Joe

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.