Home Forums General Discussion Vitamin D 3 supplements

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Joe RA
    Participant

Hi: Patti and all interested, if you go to http://www.vitamindcouncil.org you can learn more then some doctors know about vitamin D and why we can’t live without it or cholesterol. You can even find a Vitamin D doctor maybe in your state too! and you will never have to ask anyone about vitamin d again. Joe RA

Patti D
    Participant

Alright Joe πŸ˜€
    Thank you. this is just the link I need to settle a small dispute over my vit D intake. Thank you!!
    I am back feeling more confident again and will now continue to take my 5000IU without a single worry :mrgreen:
    Patti

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Patti,

Just make sure that you get tested periodically. That’s the important thing. Otherwise, you won’t know know whether the dose you are taking is too little or too much.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Patti D
    Participant

Thanks Phil,
    Yes, I will continue to have the vitamin D monitored. 😎 The last time I was checked I was deficient. You have a tremendous amount of knowledge about medications & drug interactions. Any chance you are a pharmacist? My pharmacist told so many people about my AP success so much that he got others off of the heavy hitters. I gave him a heads up monthly so I could pay it forward πŸ˜€
    What about the liver having difficulty processing too much D? is that an issue.
    Based on Joes link and everyone else who checked in 5000 IU is low compared to others who seem to hover at 10,000 IU. My very good friend has leukemia and gets 50,000 IU injections of D weekly, and of course she is being monitored.
    Patti

m.
    Participant

I take 6000 IU D3 in a gel cap per day, along with Vitamin K (Life Extension). I plan to run a Vitamin D 25(OH) test in a few months to check my levels. I’m not interested in pushing my levels “high”, ie, 70-80. I’m comfortable with 35-50, and then maintaining it.

A Friend
    Participant

Hi Patti… and Everyone,

There appears to be an association between yeast/fungal overgrowth and low Vitamin D levels. This is not referring to the typical woman’s yeast infection, but to the systemic form that you may not even be aware of. During the first two years of my own chronic illness, repeated illnesses about every 3 months and abx being prescribed for 10 days each time, PLUS my physician not telling me to take probiotics — and my not knowing about that at the time — set me up for serious systemic fungal overgrowth. The long detailed version of why I believe my D-3 levels are as low as they are is detailed further down below. It is strongly suggested that even if you do not have time to read the whole narrative, that you at the least, read the article by Dr. LJ about chronic fungal infection and Vitamin D deficiency — the link is included in the paragraph just below.

For some time now, I have been receiving Doug Kaufmann’s “Know the Cause” online newsletter. I’ve had a great respect for him for a number of years, but just began receiving the newsletter the past year. There is a Dr. LJ who regularly writes articles in the newsletter, and I identify with her articles. In one of them she wrote about May of 2010: “If you have a chronic fungal infection, you most likely have a Vitamin D deficiency.” Another “Ahaa Moment” on my path toward wellness ! To read her articles, go to the archives on the Know the Cause site. The article I refer to above can be found here: http://knowthecause.com/Newsletter/NewsletterArticles/tabid/57/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/558/Vitamin-D-Superhero.aspx

Now to the D-3 part of this post. After my last appt. with Dr. K, my labs were all excellent except for very low D levels. Because both my physicians felt I should be on D-3 and urged me to take it, I began, even though I was feeling great at the time they were encouraging me to take it. Very soon after beginning it, I began to feel awful. I then decided anything that made me feel that rotten, I did not need, and I stopped taking it. It was not a herxheimer reaction; it had just made me feel terrible, after having felt like “Mary Poppins”!!! And, I knew that my diet had contained good sources of Vitamin D several times a week for years. So, it didn’t seem possible to me that I could be deficient in Vitamin D unless something else was going on.

The systemic yeast overgrowth had been addressed, I thought, a number of years ago. However, I had several occasions over the last 10 years where x-rays of my neck, and later my chest, showed some suspicious areas surrounding what was being x-rayed. The radiologist would be alarmed, and more scans, etc. would be ordered. They called these “metastatic bone & liver lesions.” On two or three of these occasions, the impressions by the radiologist were: metastatic carcinoma, and then a later time: bone cancer. Each time I’d have biopsies, etc., but no source of the presumed “cancer” could be found. I had been using the Budwig formula for years (flaxseed oil/yogurt combination) begun when I was in a wasting syndrome. It had turned things around and had me looking and feeling like the picture of health. So, I had kept on eating it at least once daily. (Later, I discovered on the following site: http://www.arthritistrust.org, an article “Essential Fatty Acids Are Essential.” In it, it told about Dr. Budwig (a renowned scientist in Germany) turning around terminal cancer patients using this formula. This definitely was another of those “ahaa” moments.

Now, I am thinking that the damage done to my bones by the systemic yeast/fungal overgrowth in the early days of my illness, may still be somewhat at play, and very possibly — or probably — can figure in my low Vitamin D level. All of my other test results from the annual checkup were outstanding. So, now, I am planning to order some of Doug Kaufmann’s Fungus books and follow some of his natural anti-fungal, rotating protocols. I encourage everyone to become knowledgeable of the links between yeast/fungal overgrowth and chronic illness, and especially has it been linked to cancer. My reading and research since discovering that my body was extremely acidic back in 2006, and addressing this acidic condition, has certainly made a world of difference. Even my latest full body nuclear scan showed significant improvement. Cancer begins in the cell…. in the acidic cell. Yeast/fungus and other organisms contribute to our bodies acidity, as can our diet, water, stress, lack of sleep, magnesium deficiency and other deficiencies. Dr. TM is very emphatic with those on the Marshall Protocol about telling them not to consume Vitamin D while they are on the MP protocol, but I never quite understood the reasoning for this as well as I do when I read the article by Dr. LJ. [To read her articles, go to the archives on the site. The article I refer to above can be found here:
    http://knowthecause.com/Newsletter/NewsletterArticles/tabid/57/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/558/Vitamin-D-Superhero.aspx

I sincerely hope some of the above sharing (ramblings) will be helpful, and cause you to look at your own health patterns to see if your body has some unhealthy, acidic systemic yeast/fungal overgrowth causing you to be unhealthily acidic. In order for our bodies to recover, our making sure we have a slightly alkaline pH is very, very important I’ve learned.

Good luck,
    AF

Anonymous
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m new to this website.
    I saw the thread on vitamin D3 and thought I’d share, that I have found a lot of useful information on The Vitamin D Council website: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/
    Among other things what to look out for with calcium, vitamin A etc.
    Hanne

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

There’s some interesting information about the new RDA’s for Vit D on the Mercola website – including an interview with Dr Cannell, the Founder of the Vit. D Council : http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/12/11/vitamin-d-update-carole-baggerly-and-dr-cannell.aspx Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

aynurrzepa
    Participant

I am right there with Maria on cholesterol issue – in June I had high total cholesterol 247 but extremely good ratios as my good cholesterol is really high (I’m on high meat/saturated fat based diet due to my nutritional type). I also take coconut oil and niacin (mainly for Raynaud’s). Sep test showed my cholesterol reduced to almost normal 207 with ratios remaining perfect (nil risk for heart deceases) as my good cholsterol was still very high (evenhigher). What reduced my ttl cholesterol I don’t know for sure – coconut oil, niacin, diet, but it’s lower now although still considered borderline high.

Now, my D is extremely low.. ready: 6 in June and 12 in Sep! After the June test I started mega supplementation, up to 50,000 IU a day… It only doubled my vit D, I was told to take one alpha, but I decided to wait until I tried another couple of months with 50,000 IU a day… Dr. Mercola suggested I might have a genetic disorder and my vit d receptors aren’t working, but I don’t think that’s the case.. I am still to check my Ca levels but I feel my bones are very strong and have been always…If I had that genetic disorder I’d know/feel it by now???

I also take multivits with boron, Ca, Mg… Anyway, I am looking forward to my test results in December…

Now despite low vit D levels I felt generally well although I used to get colds more frequently than desired…I know I probably had this problem all my life as I did have slight rickets as a kid showing in my rib cage despite mum using liquid vit D rubs till age 4. SInce I started this mega supplementation I did not get a single cold (maybe also thanks to Mino, making my immunity stronger) but I currently feel I’m getting a cold (from kids)- let’s see how it develops. I think it will be very mild.

I had SD since age 3.5 or little later but definitely from age 6. I always had strong bones. I always used to be very susceptible to colds and coughs, including strep infections. I did have early rickets despite vit D supplementation (means that was not enough for me, needed to be at higher s=dosage). BUT my SD is not that bad at all and my immunity is not of the weakest…

I have this theory of mine that probably Vit D is so low in me and others with serious degenerative dieceases (and I ‘m not dying due to such extremely low D levels or having colds or other problems more than an average person!) b’cos…it’s being used up somehow to protect me from SD and in fact by body is very efficient in producing and metabolising Vit D and not in contrary! It boosts my immune system to fight off whatever causes SD? By this theory of mine, if sick people’s D are low it’s because it’s being used up so there isn’t much free vit D left, and in healthy people vit D is higher/high because it’s not used up (for immune boosting). When people with ilnesses take vit D as a supplement or through more than average sunbathing they raise their levels so much that it gives their immune system even a bigger boost curing them… And healthy individuals, if they supplement too much risk toxicity as the excess is not going to be used up for any health protection purposes, primitively speaking? Does it make sense? I wish somebody could prove me right or wrong as I am still searching for answers how on Earth can I be doing so well without any meds (except when I started AP) and diffuse antibodies for 30 years??? 😯 πŸ˜• I put this theory up on Mercola’s website where they discuss Vit D currently, and sometime even Dr. Mercola himself responds… I’ll see what will come of it..

a50505
    Participant

Here is an an interesting interesting article on bone & heart health:
    http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2010/sep2010_Brittle-Bones-Hardened-Arteries_01.htm

excerpt:

Many of the same factors that regulate healthy calcium levels in bones are also implicated in the destructive accumulation of calcium in arteries.10 Among those factors are specific proteins called Gla proteins, found in bone tissue and in vascular walls, that require vitamin K for their proper function.5 Other factors crucial to atherosclerosis and osteoporosis prevention are modulated by vitamin D. These include fat-derived inflammatory cytokines.5,11

Osteoporosis and atherosclerosis, in other words, both involve insufficiencies of D and K.

Marianne Welch
    Participant

A long time ago, someone from this RB led me to the following site when I was questioning the use of Vit D3.
    http://mpkb.org/home/pathogenesis/vitamind
    Bottom line: this article made me feel very uncomfortable about supplementing with Vit D3.

According to this site, Vit D3 is immunosuppressive. This worried me a bit due to the “take now, feel better…..but pay the price later” theory.

So I did not use it. However, time elapsed and I forgot my reasoning and research. After reading about Vit D3 and how it fights systemic fungal infections (Thanks from the leads from A FRIEND here at RB) I started increasing my Vit D3 from 1000 IU every so often to 5000 or 7500 IU daily. I noticed it made me feel better and maybe working in the area of fungal as well.

Then last night, I had some very mild strange symptoms return that I had not had for several yrs. Wondering if this could be due to taking Vit D3, I reread the article above and here I am again, in a vicious cycle.

If Vit D3 is truly immunosuppresive…..the question is “TO TAKE OR NOT TO TAKE” I have not decided yet what to do.
    BUT…..

I am suspicious of how almost everyone is “VIT D3” deficient these days! And so many drs push this supplement these days. It is like a VIT D3 epidemic push! “RED FLAG” for me!

I do have to laugh…it seems interesting how if one goes to a conventional dr these days they will emerge with either an rx for antacids, Vit D3 or a colonoscopy!!!

By the way, I don’t think the other extreme is good either (the use of no Vit D3 as in the Marshall Protocal). But I sure can say that the science behind Vit D3 and our bodies use of it sure sounds convincing from the site above.

What does everyone think about it?
    Marianne

mschmidt
    Participant

Marianne,

Thanks for posting the link to the Vitamin D article. It’s very interesting, and something I’m going to do some more research on because I’m intrigued by logic behind it. And confused… πŸ˜•

Maria

Patti D
    Participant

I sure appreciate all of the input on Vit D3 supplements. My memory of this subject, I believe, drew a lot of conflicting statements 3 years ago when we had quite a few people on the board who were following the Marshall protocol. What happen to all of those people and how are they doing? That would be interesting to know. Where is John McDonald and is he still doing well?
    Like Maria, this gets very confusing. Winters in wisconsin bring little sunshine and cold temperatures, both having an affect on how I feel. In the summer, outside with the sun shining I feel so different.
    So far, I am sticking with my supplements at 5000IU per day. When I get to see my new doctor( have to wait 3 months to get in 😯 )I will repeat blood testing and see if I can go lower on the D3. I really do feel better and I like that πŸ˜€

Happy New Year and sending everyone really great well wishes for outstanding health & much happiness!
    Patti

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Just wanted to add my input. I have had a yearly bone density test with a decline every year. This year after I was put onto a compound Vit d, taking 50,000IU for six weeks then 1, 50,000IU once a month, my results showed no decline at all, which was very exciting for me. So the Vit D has been beneficial for me!

Have a great New Year and a painfree 2011…………Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Gang;
    I guess you did not see this information.Most interesting.
    http://www.womenshealthmatters.ca/news/news_show.cfm?number=990461196&theyear=2010

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.