Home Forums General Discussion USA source for Minocin brand name (Dynacin, Minocin Kit, Solodyn, Ximino, etc)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sandralee
    Participant

Hello,

My name is Sandra. I am hoping someone can help me find a USA source for Brand Name Minocin. I also saw there were other Minocin brand name alternatives such as Dynacin, Minocin Kit, Solodyn, Ximino, Amzeeq, Arestin, Minolira, or Zilxi. Has anyone had experience using any of the above?

My diagnosis is scleroderma. Skin involvement only.

Thanks for your help,
    Sandra

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Sandralee,

Where have you tried so far? When ive found it hard to source a particular brand medicine, Ive found local mom and pop pharmacies are more open than the chains to making special orders. Bigger chains tend to have limited inventories.

Last I heard, the original brand Minocin (green capsule with one clear end to see pellets) was no longer available. This was the version that worked so well for most folk, especially for those with reflux as pellets didn’t release in stomach as immediately as powdered versions. The brand was bought out numerous times and at one point phased out, becoming highly over-priced. If anyone knows differently now, please let everyone on the forum know.

Original Minocin as described on Drugs.com (the page is out of date but depicts what capsule looked like).

Original Minocin

sandralee
    Participant

Thanks for your response Maz.

I was prescribed Minocin a very long time ago by a doctor that has since retired. Since then I have not been able to find it anywhere. There seem to be plenty of generic options available (Minocycline?), but I am fearful of an allergic reaction from fillers used in generic drugs due to a previous reaction.

Would you happen to know any reputable/trustworthy generic brands?

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Sandralee,

PhilC gave some current info on generic minocycline recently that may help. Sometimes folks just have to wade thru a few duds before finding what works for them, but hopefully this info will provide some pointers for you to start with. Scleroderma folk sometimes have issues with swallowing, which is why the pelleted original Minocin was often preferred as the pellets could be mixed with apple sauce to help it go down more easily. If you have this issue, perhaps ask the pharmacist if they can compound a generic for you in an easy to swallow form? Alternatively, specialty compounding pharmacies can usually help in this way, including creating a modified release form if reflux is an issue.

Click here

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.