Home Forums General Discussion Update and Is Anyone Using Actavis?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    redrock
    Participant

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to give an update on my progress and ask a question. I am on AP due to Anti-Centromere pattern ANA and concerns of possible pulmonary hypertension waiting in the wings. A while back I had taken a break from AP because of some gastric issues. I found the problem was that I needed a better probiotic and so I switched to Prescript Assist which is FANTASTIC if anyone is in need of a recommendation. Once a day and no refrigeration required!

So after a few months back on my regular dose of brand Minocin (100 mg twice a day every other day) I went in for an echocardiogram to see how my pulmonary pressures were doing. Five years ago when I started AP, I had a scary pressure of 41, was told I needed to look into medication, and that possibly a lung transplant was in my future! Long story short, since being on AP, my pressures have steadily come down. In my 2012 echo, the pressure was 28. Well I just got my results from two weeks ago and I am now down to 19! The report says “No evidence of pulmonary hypertension” I am thrilled! AP is definitely working for me!

And now I come to a concern. My insurance company will no longer cover brand Minocin, so I am forced to go with the generic. The mail-order pharmacy with my plan (where I can get a 90-day supply for a fraction of the price of going into a local pharmacy for a 30-day supply) uses the brand Actavis, which I am told used to be Watson. Has anyone used Actavis and if so what was your experience? The other alternative is to go to the local pharmacy and pay more for a brand called Dr. Reddy. Or is there some other option? I am so afraid of losing all my gains from the brand Minocin. Any advice appreciated.

redrock
    Participant

Bump.

Anyone using Actavis?

jasregadoo

Sorry Redrock, I haven’t tried Actavis or Watson. I have seen the name Watson from time to time in the forum, you might try doing a search and see what comes up.

I did a search, and it looks like at least one or two people suggest not taking Actavis, as it is made outside of the US. Take that for what it’s worth.

Just wanted you to know that your post was seen, even if I don’t have anything useful to report. 🙂

PhilC
    Participant

My insurance company will no longer cover brand Minocin, so I am forced to go with the generic. The mail-order pharmacy with my plan (where I can get a 90-day supply for a fraction of the price of going into a local pharmacy for a 30-day supply) uses the brand Actavis, which I am told used to be Watson. Has anyone used Actavis and if so what was your experience? The other alternative is to go to the local pharmacy and pay more for a brand called Dr. Reddy. Or is there some other option?

Ask the mail-order pharmacy what kind of minocycline tablets they carry, and what your cost would be.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

redrock
    Participant

Phil, see above, they said they use Actavis.

PhilC
    Participant

Those are capsules. Actavis does not sell any minocycline tablets in the U.S.

Try again, but don’t mention minocycline. Ask about Dynacin tablets. Like Minocin, Dynacin is a brand of minocycline. It’s expensive, so you don’t actually want to get genuine Dynacin, you just want to see what generic(s) the pharmacy offers you when you ask for it.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

redrock
    Participant

Okay I asked and they told me the generic form of Dynacin tablets that I will be getting are Par Pharmaceuticals. Any info on that?

jasregadoo

I remember PhilC saying something about Par before, so I did a sarch, and found this, which likely you will find helpful.

Hi,

I recommend considering the following minocycline generics:

Tablets
    Par, Ranbaxy

Capsules
    Ranbaxy, Teva

All of those are made in the U.S.; most of the other minocycline generics are made in India. I strongly prefer the minocycline tablets listed above because they do not contain corn starch or synthetic dyes. In addition, tablets must meet a slightly tighter standard than capsules, and their construction better protects their contents from the effects of oxygen than capsules do. Another advantage of tablets is that they can be cut in half, which is very handy for making dose adjustments.

In the U.S., minocycline tablets are a lot more expensive than the capsules, but since you have health insurance that probably won’t be a problem if you stick to the generics. To get minocycline tablets, your doctor needs to specify tablets on your prescription; otherwise, the pharmacy will most likely fill your prescription with capsules. You might be able to persuade the pharmacy to fill your prescription with tablets without your doctor specifying minocycline tablets on your prescription, but your insurance company may refuse to pay for them (since they cost more and the doctor didn’t request them).

I listed Teva capsules above because they are made in the U.S., and some people have had good results with them. However, I do not like them because they contain several dyes, including a red dye that many people are allergic to. Ranbaxy capsules are the only ones I know of that don’t contain any dyes.

To get your preferred generic, you will have to watch your pharmacy like a hawk. It helps if the doctor specifies your preferred generic on the prescription, but I’ve found that even that is not enough to guarantee that the pharmacist will fill the prescription with that particular generic. Here’s my solution: I always talk to the pharmacist (or a pharmacy technician) every time my mino prescription is filled, before it is filled. It’s also a good idea to also ask someone at the pharmacy which generic they used to fill your prescription before you pay for it. That way, if they didn’t fill your prescription correctly you can reject it and make them do it over.

NOTE: The tablets listed above are not an extended-release formulation. Extended-release minocycline tablets are not bioequivalent to Minocin.

Phil

Spiffy

Congratulations on your pulmonary pressures! That is outstanding and such good news! I so wish my dad had known about AP for PH. It just wasn’t on our radar yet.

DR4/DQ8 HLA, bio toxin illness
    Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes
    Positive RA factor was 71 in January 2015 down to 28 as of September 2016
    IGG food allergies wheat, egg, dairy
    supplements: C and D, probiotics, milk thistle, Turmeric, cod liver oil, methyl b 12 & folate, digestive enzymes, Moducare, chlorella, berberine, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

redrock
    Participant

Congratulations on your pulmonary pressures! That is outstanding and such good news! I so wish my dad had known about AP for PH. It just wasn’t on our radar yet.

I’m so sorry about your dad. I talk AP every chance I get trying to educate those who might benefit as well as those they know who might benefit. There was one scleroderma board that I had posted on when my pulmonary pressures started coming down and they actually deleted my post and banned me. Gotta keep trying to get the word out. Knowledge is power.

Spiffy

Dad tested negative for AI. However, I do not know if they tested for all of them. They considered his to be idiopathic. He had always kept himself physically fit so this helped him. He had sleep apnea. I believe he would have benefitted from AP as well as going gluten and at least dairy free. Hang in there! So happy for you. Keep us informed.

DR4/DQ8 HLA, bio toxin illness
    Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes
    Positive RA factor was 71 in January 2015 down to 28 as of September 2016
    IGG food allergies wheat, egg, dairy
    supplements: C and D, probiotics, milk thistle, Turmeric, cod liver oil, methyl b 12 & folate, digestive enzymes, Moducare, chlorella, berberine, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.