Home Forums General Discussion Update

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    GayG
    Participant

Good morning!….I’m sorry I’ve been out for a bit….got in one short Bed and Breakfast trip in Jefferson, Texas mixed in with quite a few trips back and forth to Louisiana to resolve issues surrounding my husbands mother who was in the hospital….she has the end stages of Alzheimer’s and was in the hospital with a blood clot in her leg and lung…she’s back home now thank God!…

Anyway, it occurred to me that I should post about my antibiotic change experience. I know that not all AP drugs work the same for everyone and that different protocols work differently for some of us but just in case this might be interesting to someone else thought I’d post it…..I wanted to stop taking the oral Minocin (100 mg. twice a day) because after 4 years it was starting to put blue spots on my lower legs and was turning my lower legs a blueish color…it was also turning my gums blue and my ears were ringing…..SO, I went to Dr. K. in Lufkin who suggested that I try Azithromycin (every day) with Flagyl (250 mg. once every other day)…..within about two weeks i could feel my lower legs and lower arms starting to tighten up and pull. One morning when I woke up I noticed the tops of my hands were more swollen. I then took one dose of minocin (I still had some pills left over) (100 mg. twice a day and those symptoms went away within one day)…….SO, I got concerned about the Zith and Flagyl regimen and gave her a call….we then switched to just oral Doxicycline 100 mg. twice a day…that seemed to hold the remission much better but I remembered talking to another patiet who is also in remission about his regimen and he takes Doxycycline and Avalox….Dr. K. did not recommend taking Avalox long term for me…so I decided, on my own, to add Flagyl 250 mg. once a day, every other day, to my Doxycycline regimen of 100 mg. twice a day and that is working just fine for me so far……..I see Dr. K. again on 3/9/12…..so far so good, I will need to tell her that I am taking the Flagyl also when I see her…..it’s like she told me though, sometimes these different regimens can be a “stab in the dark” finding what works for you since unfortunately there are no long term studies to go by…but maybe someday there will be, we can only hope and pray……thank you! Gay

nspiker
    Participant

Hi Gay,

So sorry about your MIL. Sounds like you’ve been dealing with a lot lately.

I’m glad you updated us on your treatment, and what worked for you. So much of this can be trial and error; finding what works for each of us. There are many different pathogens that kick-start our immune system on over-drive. It’s incumbent on all of us to use our intuition, as you did with the flagyl, to find what works for us.

nancy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.