Home Forums General Discussion University of Michigan Rheumatology Department uses Minocycline

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Pinkmoth
    Keymaster

I finally got in with a University of Michigan Rheumatologist. I talked to them about how well I have been doing on Minocycline.
    I braced myself for the same scoffing that I got from the two previous rheumatologists. Instead, she said “Oh that makes sense. We prescribe that to RA patients.”
    Apparently they dont prescribe it to scleroderma patients, only RA patients (and if your RA is severe they will still want you to be on a steroid or something like that). But, I guess I’m just really happy to see that a large, very otherwise mainstream group of rheumatologists associated with one of the nations top universities is using an AP protocol as one of their standard treatments for RA.
    I asked her what dose they use for RA and she said 100mg BID (which is what Im currently taking).
    It’s funny though – she doesnt believe it works for it’s antimicrobial properties, but for it’s anti-inflammatory properties. So there still is not acceptance of the idea that there is an underlying infection causing the rheumatic disease. But, well, it’s progress.
    Just wanted to put that out there!

Autoimmune: ANA positive speckled. Probable MCTD with SD overlap. Hashimoto's. Possible Erlos Danlos. Mold Illness.
    Infections: Bartonella, toxoplasmosis, mycoplasma, EBV
    Meds: minocycline (Zydus generic) 100mg 1x daily,
    Supps: digestive enzymes, Monolaurin, Betaine hydrochloric acid, iron, quercetin, biocidin

maddie
    Participant

That’s interesting and good to know!

Thanks Pinkmoth 🙂

By the way does BID mean twice a day?

No official diagnosis yet but probably some type sero-negative, symmetrical inflammatory arthritis.
    Started AP treatment December 2018. 200mg Minocin MR Mon/Wed/Fri.

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

There are several major universities that use minocycline for RA. In fact, I went to see the Head of Rheumatology at Harvard. He has (sadly) since retired…but that was the first doc to put me on AP. It’s also a known treatment listed on the American College of Rheumatology website. I don’t get, therefore, what all of the controversy is about. I think it’s more along the lines of the neighborhood Rheumy not being up on things, I guess. I’m still befuddled about that.

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

Pinkmoth
    Keymaster

Yes maddie BID is twice a day

Autoimmune: ANA positive speckled. Probable MCTD with SD overlap. Hashimoto's. Possible Erlos Danlos. Mold Illness.
    Infections: Bartonella, toxoplasmosis, mycoplasma, EBV
    Meds: minocycline (Zydus generic) 100mg 1x daily,
    Supps: digestive enzymes, Monolaurin, Betaine hydrochloric acid, iron, quercetin, biocidin

maddie
    Participant

Thanks Pinkmoth 🙂

No official diagnosis yet but probably some type sero-negative, symmetrical inflammatory arthritis.

Thriving
    Participant

Yes Maddie, it means twice a day.

Spiffy1

My rheumatologist told me I would have to find a new doctor if I were going to continue that. Thankfully we have moved so I don’t have to stay quiet about it anymore but she was very against it. And, yes, it is a recognized DMARD on the ACR website. I am not sure why all the fuss.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Maz
    Keymaster
    maddie
    Participant

Hi Maz

Thank you, I just read it. Very positive news.

No wonder patients are confused by conflicting information!

Maddie 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.