Home Forums General Discussion Unbelievable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    richie
    Participant

I decided on using Torrent generic minocycline -since they are fairly big suppliers to the US and even the generic is tight right now !!! –I check the capsules at home and lo and behold its Ranbaxy capsules —-Seems Ranbaxy sold out to Sun but our FDA made Ranbaxy sell out to Torrent minocycline as to not limit competition -there is also a proviso that Ranbaxy {now Sun } must keep supporting Torrent with product until they set up their own production —-thats not all -seems Ranbaxy sells to at least 4 other companies using Ranbaxy product –these other companies are listed with the FDA as repackagers —I follow the drug industry and thought I understood it but this one has me scratching my head –I would advise everyone when receiving a prescription to look up the pill or capsule to at least find out the original manufacturer —hopefully when this shortage clears up in a few months I can have a better selection !!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

crazy

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

vinny
    Participant

Welcome to the real world Richie. Now you know what most of us have been facing for years. At some point in time you will come to realize that the most effective Minocyclines are tablets made in India. I am currently using Minoz tablets made by Sun Pharma and buy from India with a prescription and doing really well.

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

richie
    Participant

Firstly I am glad you are doing well –Minoz is made by Croslands -a Ranbaxy division –I guess this unit was bought by Sun —I hope you are correct –I get the sense that quality has improved quite a bit in India after the FDA got after Ranbaxy –sure hope so !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spiffy1

And what is “funny” to me is that I could not get my hands on Ranbaxy tablets to save my life! I think they are enjoying the big switch! Why is it in such short supply? Why can’t they just make more? I bet they slowed down on manufacturing to drive up the price.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

richie
    Participant

You are absolutely correct –my druggist just yesterday told me the same thing !! Holding back supply to raise prices

Spiffy1

It ought to be illegal to play with people’s health. It is never about health though. It is about money.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

So let me share with ya’ll what happened today in the great search for “the right” generic minocycline. So…I was taking the Actavis (Watkins, now owned by Teva) brand and the pharmacy switched me to Ranbaxy which did not work for me. My pharmacy a big box store was able to get the Actavis brand…after they told me they could not when my doc insisted.

Fast forward to today…knowing what I know now, I start EARLY…when it is refill time. I literally went to the big box pharmacy on Monday – in person – to make sure they could still get it. They confirmed yes and that they had some in stock but would need to order more. I literally called Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday each day being promised that it was coming in and each day being told there are no issues, we will get it. Today I called and the same man I spoke with in person on Monday…the same man I had explained that I have RA and what this medicine and the right generic for me, means to me…told me, “well we can’t get it and I made no promises and it is out of stock from the manufacturer until at least June.” Ya’ll I lost it…and I don’t mean, I got nasty lost it, I mean I started to sob like I’ve never sobbed before. People don’t get the stress and worry that rheumatic disease causes and then add to the stress of trying to make sure you have enough of the brand or generic that you need to LIVE…literally to live.

Long story longer, I called Teva (who now owns Actavis) and they assured me that are absolutely zero backorders. They said there is no reason why this big box national chain can’t get it…zero. They gave me the name of another big box chain and told me to call them. I did..they were more forthcoming in telling me that their distributor flat won’t order it…and they don’t know why.

So I remembered what Richie has always talked about…make a relationship with your local independent pharmacist. I haven’t done that but my sister has a relationship with her local independent pharmacist. I called him and he had it…plenty of stock…tons of stock. I transferred my prescription to them and they were able to fill a 3 month supply in an hour. I had to drive 45 minutes one way to get it, but it’s worth it.

Long story even longer…what we all go through to get the meds we need is ridiculous. I’m exhausted now mentally, emotionally, physically and oh my…I don’t even know.

So what’s the truth…is the Actavis brand (or any other brand) available everywhere or not? Are certain pharmacies just telling us certain generics are unavailable because that’s what suits them? The good news is I have what I need for now but everyone should. We all go through enough without having to worry about access to a simple antibiotic.

Ok…end of my rant.

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Sorry this has been so stressful for you – and for many others too.

Sounds like there is a very good reason for people to develop a relationship with an independent pharmacy and/or a compounding pharmacy.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Linda L
    Participant

Whale, it is so stressful. Still there are many people who want to help each other.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

MarlaCL
    Participant

Hi
    This is my first post. Looking for Scleroderma Lung Fibrosis AP testimonies.
    Thank you so much
    Marla( mtlcute)
    mtlcute@aol.com or email me Roadback:)

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Marla
    Have you looked at the Scleroderma stories in our Stories section of the website?
    Also suggest that you go to the front page of General Discussion (where all topics are listed) and type ‘lung fibrosis’ into the search box. All posts mentioning this will come up and include some really useful information

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

richie
    Participant

Hi –good job Whale !!! Another hint –you probably get a three month supply at once –ALWAYS reorder 10 daYS IN advance
    Over time you will build up a reserve -its important to have a reserve on hand in case of shortages etc –For example I had a reserve of minocin brand –I had to order generic now —AS a result for the next six months -I will take 100mg generic and 100 mg minocin daily –At the three month mark I will reorder generic –in this way I will always have a three month reserve on hand —Right now I cant get Actavis –hopefully this will change !

Spiffy1

I totally get it, WhaleH! I got messed with for sure. I hope this compounded minocyclene is as effective as the other. I totally understand your frustration. Now I would even be afraid to try my
    Ranbaxy again. Now I am paying out of pocket and have dropped to 100 milligrams MWF. It is scary.

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Richie, I’m on the Actavis brand and when the big box store told me it was on backorder, I called Teva (who now owns Actavis) and they assured me that there are no backorders on their “actavis” minocycline. I made her repeat it to me several times because I was so shocked as it was 100% different from what the big box told me. The independent pharmacy had some in stock but also confirmed no known backorders. Isn’t that weird. If the Actavis is what you need, perhaps check again with your pharmacy? Perhaps something has just changed?

Great insight also as the early reorders. I’ve never done that and it makes so much good sense…I’ve learned so much from you, Richie and I appreciate you….

I appreciate everyone!

Spiffy, I pray you are doing well on the compounded minocycline.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.