Home Forums General Discussion treatments for autoimmune, lyme and coinfections

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    kerry23
    Participant

Okay, so if you are diagnosed with a few autoimmune disorders AND you have Lyme, AND you have one or two co infections:  What do they treat you with or for?

Do they cover everything with Minocin and Mepron?  I don't understand what they treat you with if you have it all and how long will treatment last.  Obviously, treatment varies from patient to patient, but in general I am asking : How does it all work with the above diagonosis.

I was on 5 day antibiotic treatment for a urine test, zithro, flagyl and something else, to see if I excrete lyme out on days 2,4,and 6.  I started and the first day, I felt pretty good, like 20% better, then come day 3:  WHAM, felt horrible, flu like symptoms, can't explain, just thought it was being sick from all those antibiotics.  So, for the remainder of the time, I was miserable.  I called a friend who is a member here and said, Congrats, you are herxing, I had no idea what that meant.  As she explained it did all fit.  But was it a herx?

Now I am done with the test and it is day 2 of NO meds and I feel like I always do, pain, stiffness,brain fog,  ect.  I was hoping someone could share some light on this.  I want to call the doc's office and beg them to put me back on something so I don't go throught that again.

Any help?

Kerry

nspiker
    Participant

Hi Kerry,

Welcome to the lyme world, herxing is part of the recovery.  Some people are more suseptible to abx then others.  Any time you start a new medication, add another antibiotic, or switch protocol, herxing is a possibility.  You can reduce and alleviate symptoms by taking supportive supplements and detoxing.  Next time you're feeling this way, try taking an epsom salts, hydrogen peroxide bath, and drink plenty of water with fresh lemon. 

Treatment varies , but since you have lyme, your LLMD will focus on whatever lyme symptoms are most pronounced, and treat accordingly.  If you have co-infections, then most likely they will be treated before lyme.  You don't need to worry about treating other infections because lyme treatment should cover everything.

Have you started lyme treatment yet?
    nancy

kerry23
    Participant

Hey Nancy,

The doc is starting me on Minocin (spelling) today, I am excited and also a bit scared as I had a taste of the herxing process and it was not fun.  I gather as I await test results this is all I will be on until they find out what type of co infection it is.  I don't know, like I said I am new to all of this and am assuming I have had Lyme for at least 4-6 years unknowing, undiagnosed and suffering.  I just took it as I am getting older and this is the way it is.  Now, being diagnosed with 4 types of autoimmune I believe the Lyme started this mess.  I am so mad that no doctor could have suggested taking a Lyme test when I was first complaining of pain in joints.  Thanks for your support and feedback, there are very few that respond but I know they are having problems with the site.  I will keep you posted.

How long do we have to stay on antibiotic and will I have to go on Plaquenil or some type of anti malaria drug?  I can't see where the one drug minocin will cure all and I thought they used Doxy for lyme???

Kerry

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Kerry – you are right. Most of our Volunteers cant access the site and also many of our experienced SD and Lyme posters. In terms of herxing you might want to read up on this – there are several pieces on this phenomenon at our main site http://www.roadback.org in the Education section. I have provided links below. Lynnie 

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/education.display/display_id/91.html

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=studies.display&display_id=184#Anchor-The-51540 

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=education.display&display_id=124

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

nspiker
    Participant

Kerry,

I think your doctor is appropriate, starting with Minocin while waiting for test results.  Doxy is often used for lyme, but so is Minocin.  At the very least it should  help with inflammation. 

I can't say what your doctor will be prescribing, or how long you will have to stay on abx, it varies for each individual.  Based on your symptoms, and the length of time you've been sick, prepare to hunker down for a while :(.  It's no quick fix. 

nancy

imported_Eileen
    Participant

Lyme is so complicated and even more difficult to treat when co-infections are in your CNS.  If you can, I would suggest keeping a log of your symptoms, take your temp. in AM and PM, etc.  There's hardly a quick fix or easy treatment plan.  But you will get better but will just take some time. 

I am new to this forum, but not new to LD.  It's been my constant companion for the last 10 yrs. and it really takes time to sort through all of it.  Every dr. is different.  It depends largely on the infections you have and the treatment plan. There will be bumps along the way, but you will get better.

Eileen

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.