Home Forums General Discussion Tips to Improve Absorption of Minocycline?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    redrock
    Participant

Hi folks,

I have posted before about my issue with relapsing due to no longer having access to Brand Minocin, and after consultation with others on this forum and my doctor, I now have in hand a scrip for Par tablet minocycline 100 mg to be taken twice a day every other day (same dose as when I was on Brand Minocin). I am desperate to get this to work again and being that I have had issues with bioequivalence I am seeking tips to ensure I get maximum absorption.

What is recommended? Empty stomach or not? Can I take it with other meds such as Nature-throid? What about taking it with supplements and vitamins? Should it be an hour away from dairy (i.e. half and half in coffee?). I was taking 2 capsules Minocin at the same time and had no problem but should I space these generic pills apart? Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Dawn
    Participant

Redrock, I will provide the method I am using for just the reason you point out of absorption, but please note this is not in an advisory capacity as I am not medically-trained: empty stomach accompanied with some capsulted enzymes (bromelain and serrapeptase at present) and refrain from eating at least 1 hour. For myself the morning is the easiest time to schedule this arrangement, and mine is every-other-day M-W-F.

I am unfamiliar with Nature-throid’s ingredients that may or may not have an impact absorption.

Warmly,
    Dawn

DawnF

Spiffy1

I was allergic to a filler in PAR. But to answer your question I would think it would be best to take one in the morning and one in the evening. I think that is the standard. With generics it becomes even more important to take on an empty stomach. First thing in the morning is always an easy time and then try to wait preferably 2 hours before eating. In the evening try to do it away from eating as best you can. This is always more of a challenge. If you cannot do it on an empty stomach do not mix with dairy or minerals like magnesium or iron. Others can chime in on what they take theirs with. Good luck with PAR!

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Spiffy1

Interesting about the enzymes….I was told not to mix enzymes with probiotics because they would break them down. I applied the same lesson to my AP. Does someone know for sure if enzymes help with systemic absorption or break things down to quickly. Would love someone’s opinion on this.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Maz
    Keymaster

Additionally. its pretty important to keep all meds and supps away from thyroid replacement meds for a good 4-hour window (especially anything containing calcium or iron) to ensure thyroid meds are fully absorbed. Poorly absorbed thyroid meds can lead to hypothyroidism, which in turn can mimic rheumatic pain.

Thyroid Drug Interactions: Drugs That Affect Thyroid Hormone Replacement Absorption

Redrock, sincerely hope the Par tabs help you. Some experienced AP docs will increase the generic dose in instances where it’s not as effective as the original brand, but this would need a doc who knows what they’re doing and there’s a chance of increased risk of hyperpigmentation. Some people have gotten around this by supplementing their mino with doxy.

It’s tough juggling thyroid meds with AP and supps, but some find it worthwhile to set the alarm in the early morning to take thyroid meds and then go back to sleep. Not a good idea to do this with tetracyclines, however, as a pill that hasn’t quite gone down can reflux into the esophagus and cause serious burning.

redrock
    Participant

4 hours is pretty much impossible especially if taking mino twice a day. I wonder if its better to take 2 pills at once. There aren’t enough hours in the day to keep everything separated.

Starr
    Participant

Bromelain is said to potentiate the effects of minocycline. I took quercetin/bromelain with my mino and was in remission for several years. Good luck!

redrock
    Participant

What brand and dosage of bromelain do you take and is it at the same time as the mino?

Starr
    Participant

I took the Vitacost brand and yes, I took it with my mino.

Maz
    Keymaster

4 hours is pretty much impossible especially if taking mino twice a day. I wonder if its better to take 2 pills at once. There aren’t enough hours in the day to keep everything separated.

Yes, it is pretty tricky and annoying at first, but not impossible and it becomes routine. I just put the meds as a priority and fit in my supps around them and it’s needs-must in my case. After thyroidectomy there is a small window of where I need my thyroid labs to be in order to feel optimal.

Pinkmoth
    Keymaster

My schedule:
    8am: mino and glass of water (if need more sleep I prop up a pillow against the wall)
    10am: breakfast and probiotics
    Lunch is kindof whenever, an this is when I take vitamin c, b12 and other stuff
    Dinner is finished before 6pm.
    6pm food intake cutoff.
    8pm mino with glass of water
    10pm snack and probiotics

This has been difficult but is working for me, my symptoms have improved a lot

Autoimmune: ANA positive speckled. Probable MCTD with SD overlap. Hashimoto's. Possible Erlos Danlos. Mold Illness.
    Infections: Bartonella, toxoplasmosis, mycoplasma, EBV
    Meds: minocycline (Zydus generic) 100mg 1x daily,
    Supps: digestive enzymes, Monolaurin, Betaine hydrochloric acid, iron, quercetin, biocidin

redrock
    Participant

My schedule:
    8am: mino and glass of water (if need more sleep I prop up a pillow against the wall)
    10am: breakfast and probiotics
    Lunch is kindof whenever, an this is when I take vitamin c, b12 and other stuff
    Dinner is finished before 6pm.
    6pm food intake cutoff.
    8pm mino with glass of water
    10pm snack and probiotics

This has been difficult but is working for me, my symptoms have improved a lot

This is very helpful, thanks! I’ve decided that since when I was taking mino before I got good results even though I was taking two pills at once, I’m going to do that again because I can more easily keep everything separated. I will get labs in three months and if the numbers aren’t good, I will separate the doses.

richie
    Participant

Hi I am not so sold on this bromelain idea –it can and will affect other meds as well as supplements –making them too strong –Seems to me -going to daily dosing could be an alternative —-When I was sick Dr Trentham had no food restrictions at all –whatever your stomach tolerated was just fine —-I am in remission not because of this nor do I think Bromelain had much to do with feeling better –I think it was more the minocycline and the careful spacing of the med –Dr Trentham was very insistant on a two hour window —I found it easier to eat first in morning wait two hours then the minocin –Now I am forced to use generic since minocin no longer available and still follow the two hour window and still eat without pre-set restrictions

redrock
    Participant

Richie, do you take both your pills at the same time?

PhilC
    Participant

I now have in hand a scrip for Par tablet minocycline 100 mg to be taken twice a day every other day (same dose as when I was on Brand Minocin).

I think you need to find a better doctor. It makes no sense to use pulsed dosing for CREST, especially since your condition has deteriorated.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.