Home Forums General Discussion The pH Miracle

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I recently read The pH Miracle by Robert Young, PhD. which has been mentioned on other threads. He says all fruits are acid except fresh coconut, sour cherry and unripe banana. I had previously read The Acid Alkaline Food Guide by Susan Brown, PhD. She says almost all fruits are alkaline so I guess experts disagree?

kater
    Participant

Initially I was trying to do close to 100% alkaline on top of the RA diet and it was TOO restrictive. I was losing too much weight and also felt like I was missing too many nutrients so I started to include a maximum of 3 low acid fruits a day–berries, cherries, plums etc. I keep away from grains except for a bit of rice sometimes and I feel so much better. If you love alkaline you will love my favorite website–beautiful, informative and amazingly delicious. alkalinesisters.com An amazing get-well-with-food story.. Enjoy!
    kate 😉

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Dr. Young says avocados are about as close to a perfect food as you can get- an alkalizing, energizing, hydrating fuel for your body. They are a great source of protein, monounsaturated fats, essential fatty acids, beneficial plant sterols, chlorophyll, and a broad range of micronutrients, all while having no starch andvery little sugar, and being high in fat content and protein. I like avocados and have added them to my diet and feeling better.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Feeling good with avocados and celery.

notabene
    Participant

The acid/alkaline chart posted recently on Team Inspire Scleroderma states that lemons (along with watermelon) at 9.0 are the most highly alkaline food, which seems counterintuitive. [Avocados are moderately alkaline at 8.0.] But lemon is used along with olive oil in the detox drink. Insights?

kater
    Participant

Hi Nancy
    those charts do seem to vary a great deal from book to book. But the thing is not the alkalinity of the food (because lemon would be acidic), but the “alkaline effect” in the body–which is alkaline. You can read up a bit on alkaline effect. Hope this is a little helpful to point you in the right direction of researching. Sorry I don’t have time to write more in this moment but someone else will add I am sure. Hope you are doing well. I am on 3 antibiotics now and getting much better. Other than my hands, my skin is close to normal now–just a little bit tight skin left in my neck and face and still raynaud’s and fatigue.
    Hope you are well too!
    hugs
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

jaminhealth
    Participant

I squeeze fresh lemons in about everything that goes into my body…..

My morning coffee gets a few squirts of fresh lemon to cut the ACIDITY….coffee is very acidic….

Makes the coffee taste silk and smoth and not lemony for sure….

Lemons and Limes are high Alkaline, oranges right up there too, but not as high….

I understand all water is acidic and I do NOT soak in waters…..plus the chlorine and fluoride factors….grrrrrrrrrr…..

Valsmum
    Participant

I read about a man and his “arthritis cure” and it was eating 1-2 avocados a day. He said he had some guacamole for 2 days and on those days his arthritis felt better, so he kept it up and eats avocados everyday and has no arthritis. I don’t know how bad his arthritis was to begin with, but since he said it cured him I had to post it after reading all the comments on avocados on this thread. I can’t remember where I read his testimonial, it seems like it was earthclinic.com or some website just like it.

jaminhealth
    Participant

if you google Alkaline and Acid Food Charts, you’ll find a LOT of info….here is just one group of High Alkaline foods:
    Those in Upper Case are highest pH, and they don’t mention avacodos…

What is a list of foods that increase alkalinity in the blood?

Alkaline forming foods include: * agar, ALFALFA(sprouts), almonds, APPLES(apple cider), apricots, artichokes, BANANAS, beets, beet tops, blackberries, blueberries, BROCCOLI (did you eat yours?), Brussel sprouts, burdock, cabbage, cantaloupe, carob, CARROTS, cauliflower, CELERY, celeriac, chard, cherries, chives, COCONUT, CRANBERRIES, cucumbers, currants (fresh), dandelion greens, DATES, dill, dock, endive, figs (dried), flaxseed, GARLIC, GRAPES, Grapefruit, greenbeans (fresh), guava, huckleberries, Irish moss, KELP, kohlrabi, leeks, LEMONS, lettuce, LIMA BEANS (fresh), limes, loganberries, loquats, mango, MELONS, millet, mint, molasses, mulberries, muskmelons, mustard greens, nectarines, okra, Olives, olive oil, ONIONS, ORANGES, papaya, parsley, parsnips, passion fruit, Peaches, Pears, persimmons, PINEAPPLE, plums, Pumpkin, radishes, RAISINS, Raspberries, rhubarb, Romaine lettuce, rutabagas, sea grass, sorrel, Soybeans, Spinach, squash, Strawberries, Swiss chard, tangerine, turnips, Vegetable oils, water chestnuts, watercress, watermelon.

A Friend
    Participant

@Jan Lucinda1 wrote:

I recently read The pH Miracle by Robert Young, PhD. which has been mentioned on other threads. He says all fruits are acid except fresh coconut, sour cherry and unripe banana. I had previously read The Acid Alkaline Food Guide by Susan Brown, PhD. She says almost all fruits are alkaline so I guess experts disagree?

After reading several posts in reply to above topic, a search found several (lost two of them…lol). This one seemed most accurate to me based on much reading I did about this several years ago in books and articles. Also, note that even though many fruits may be acidic in their natural state, when eaten they become alkaline in the body.

http://www.body-detox-info.com/acid-foods.html

Notice the ratio of acid foods vs alkaline foods suggested and other nutrients from them. These in our diet can be counted as part of that “20% acidic foods” in the ratio suggested — 20 + 80. It’s my understanding that even though some foods are in the high acidic range, i.e. meats, we still need the amino acids (some of these 20-something amino acids are needed for metabolic detoxification of acidic wastes generated in the body and are really, really needed by the body. Some of the amino acids are termed “essential” and must be eaten, as the body can’t make these particular ones.

Because I was so acidic and didn’t want to eat red meat because I couldn’t properly digest it, using the ImmunoPro Non-denatured whey protein has made all the difference in supplying the needed amino acids and keeping my pH looking so good I can’t believe it’s me. Also, I believe for my overall longtime acidosis and bone problems (which I didn’t know about for ages), MagChlor90 and more recently the addition of Sodium Ascorbate/Vit C with meals is keeping my pH where it should have been all along, and hopefully the Vit C is helping me rebuild collagen, cartilage, and bone (and lots of other things you can read about).

Crossing my fingers! ❗
    AF

jaminhealth
    Participant

I just posted here but it didn’t show up.

Avacodos are Alkaline and a good FAT we need.

Just heard my favorite Prolotherapy MD on the radio and he went to the Alkaline vs Acidic issue and talked
    about how important to keep our bodies highly alkaline…

I eat meats, but do squeeze lemons on my meat….cuts the acid. Then he mentioned that cancer doesn’t like an
    Alkaline body, cancer thrives in an acidic body, I heard this one years ago re: sugars….

Talked about the importance of good fats and insulin levels….

kali
    Participant

Both spirulina and chlorella have great alkalyzing effects on the body – not to mention a myriad of other wonderful benefits! Including anti-inflammitory, detox and immune enhancing….and easy to take!

They are superfoods that are really overlooked much of the time and very strong anti-oxidants.

http://www.chlorellafactor.com/chlorella-spirulina-06.html

http://www.antioxidants-for-health-and-longevity.com/benefits-of-spirulina.html

http://www.antioxidants-for-health-and-longevity.com/chlorella-and-spirulina.html

If you do decide to use these super foods – be sure they are certified organic. The best, most absorbable Chlorella is broken cell wall chlorella.

Dr Mercola has both of these items on sale on his site right now along with several good articles.

A Friend
    Participant

@Jan Lucinda1 wrote:

Dr. Young says avocados are about as close to a perfect food as you can get- an alkalizing, energizing, hydrating fuel for your body. They are a great source of protein, monounsaturated fats, essential fatty acids, beneficial plant sterols, chlorophyll, and a broad range of micronutrients, all while having no starch andvery little sugar, and being high in fat content and protein. I like avocados and have added them to my diet and feeling better.

Jan, All,
    I love reading about how good avocadoes are for us. I’m thinking they are high in Vitamin E, but not positive of that. Years ago, I loved guacamole but hated all the steps to prepare it. Later, my daughter told me how one of her friends made it quickly. I’ve been doing that ever since, and it’s as good as the long way. Get a jar of Pace’s Chunky Salsa. Mash the amount of avocadoes you want with a fork. Gradually stir in the chunky salsa, until it suits your taste. A bit of lemon juice added in may help preserve the color. Put it in a Rubbermaid [EDIT, ignore the Rubbermaid… a senior moment… should have been an airtight Tupperware container] container with a tight lid and refrigerate. The thing some people may want to think about is whether there are any nightshade vegetables in the Salsa that some might be sensitive to. (Dr. Sherry Rogers’ book taught me that some people (herself included) are amazingly sensitive to the nightshade family of vegetables.

AF

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

A Friend-

The body-detox-info.com article says citric acid fruits, lemon, lime, grapefruit, become alkaline in the body. I think other fruits which are high in sugar remain acid.

I like avocado by itself! Tastes good to me!!

kali-

Dr. Young advises against spirulina and chlorella- algae, says they have toxins. He prefers organic broccoli.

notabene
    Participant

Thanks to everyone for a very interesting thread.

Jaminhealth – I tried lemon in my morning coffee, and it tastes great (I’ve cut back to a half cup, since I no longer use milk in it). Perhaps my acidic morning oatmeal needs a shot of lemon too, although I’ve shifted completely away from maple syrup/brown sugar to a savory oatmeal of olive oil and cumin.

Amazingly, I’ve lost my taste for sweets; verdict sealed by reading that bacteria love sugar.

Our new favorite summer recipe is grilled bread with an avocado spread. Just mash the avocados (although you could just slice them), add olive oil (I like garlic olive oil with this) and add salt to taste. Simply addictive and healthy too. An indoor variant would be to toast the bread (we use whole wheat with lots of seeds). I should add that the bread is acidic, but would hopefully be counteracted by the neutral olive oil and the alkaline avocado.

Kate – so happy to hear that you are doing well. I rarely think anymore that I have scleroderma. Hugs to you too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.