Home Forums General Discussion The case for daily dosing?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Nan – RA
    Participant

Well Richie first I must say how handsome you are.. you look so much like George Clooney!  😉 

Thank you for your reply Richie.  I know pulsing is supposed to be better for RA but I'm still confused about the dosage.  I'm taking 100 mg. every MWF.  Do you think that's enough or should I go to 200 mg. every MWF?  I just hate that I'm still struggling as much as I am and each morning is a trial in PAIN before I can even get started.  Then every little thing I do is magnified a hundredfold.  Walking, holding things, cleaning (HA!), ironing, which is totally out of the question these days… I've addressed this before on the board.  People say to let it go but if one does… then who does it???  My poor husband is pushed to the limit as it is.  Hiring someone is out of the realm of our pocketbook too. 

I just want to function normally again.  I feel as though I've lost every little vestige of dignity I possessed.  I have “black” thoughts, which scare the living bejesus out of me and I can't really burden family and friends much longer.  I think they're scared of me!  It's good that I can unload here occasionally… I'm one of those that has a hard time crying in front of people.  I was always the stong one.  Not anymore.  I hide and cry. 

Well, this is more than I started out to say.  Thanks for letting me let go.

Nan

Todd WI
    Participant

I appreciate all the replies, though I still feel like I haven?t uncovered the logic behind daily dosing. I see my doc again next week and will definitely ask him.  I suspect part of his answer will be that the MIRA study used daily dosing.  Unfortunately that just gets me back to a different form of my original question, why would the designer(s) of the study use daily dosing when Dr. Brown made what seems like a very strong case for pulsed dosing?

For the record, I have psoriatic arthritis.  It?s long standing (12 years) but not particularly severe. I?ve basically ignored it for most of the time I?ve had it, but it progressed on me last year and demanded I take some action.  I started AP about a month ago and am taking doxy twice a day.

Todd

richie
    Participant

Hi

If you would check the book –I think you would find that DR Brown was an advocate of clindymycin IVS  then pulse dosing –the reason for daily dosing was to  establish effectiveness without utilizing ivs at all —thus eliminating the need for ivs –the studies demonstarted this

richie

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

I think that the bottom line is that it can be very individualized.  I know an RA patient who sees a well known AP doctor that is known to have most of his patients on Mino 2x daily, everyday.  This particular patient is on pulsed Doxy M-W-F.

Now we took Jess to Dr. F and it seems like he has many patients on a pulsed dose, even SD patients, yet he recommended that Jess continue the daily dosing.  I suppose it is because it worked so well for her. 

I don't think that you will find a concrete answer, many people have to find the dose and the frequency that works for them, with their doctors guidance of course!

Cheryl

Anonymous
    Participant

Todd,

I would not rely ONLY on AP if you have psoriatic arthritis.  I hope you have looked at your diet.  I have a girlfriend who tried absolutely everything and until she changed her diet, she wasn't seeing the improvement.  You'd never know now that she had issues in the past, although she'll tell you that she suffers if she isn't careful with her diet for a few days.  She eliminated nitrites, yeast and meat that is not organic as the main culprits.

As Dr. T. says “Patience.” 

Denise

Cubby
    Participant

I have been taking Minocin DAILY 100 mg 2 x per day since October, 2005 with no problems.  

Todd WI
    Participant

Hi Richie,
    That is a very good point about the clindy IVs.  I could certainly postulate a case where a study designer wanted to eliminate the need for the IVs.  Now that I think about it from the study designer?s standpoint, it would be a nightmare to try to design a study around Dr. Brown?s treatment approach with all the patient by patient customization that he did.

Todd

Todd WI
    Participant

Hi Cheryl,
    That?s interesting about the docs changing their dosing schemes for individual patients.  I would have expected them to be firmly entrenched in either the daily dosing camp or pulsed dosing camp. The fact that they aren?t so firmly entrenched tells me that they see advantages to each camp.

Point taken on the individualization, it?s not as important where I started as finding the right dosing for me (with my doc?s help of course).
    Todd

John McDonald
    Participant

Richie said:

[MIRA] the reason for daily dosing was to  establish effectiveness without utilizing ivs at all —thus eliminating the need for ivs

I have never seen any evidence to support this. Isn't this speculation? I don't think we are privy to the decisions regarding the dosing chosen for the MIRA study. Of course nearly every physician besides Dr. Brown preferred BID (twice daily) dosing of Minocycline in an effort to keep the serum levels as constant as practicable.

If I recall from Scammell's book, Brown preferred MWF dosing as sufficient for slow growing mycoplasmas and suffering fewer side-effects. Trevor Marshall advocates QOD dosing precisely to make the serum levels vary greatly.

What evidence do you have that the MIRA designers adopted BID dosing to eliminate clindy IV's?

Todd WI
    Participant

Hi Denise,

I think diet does play an important role in my disease, but I?ve yet to figure it out.  I went on an elimination diet many years ago, but it really didn?t yield any interesting results. I have a list of foods I suspect don?t agree with me, specifically chocolate, peanuts, and red wine, but its not much more than a suspicion at this point.

Todd

richie
    Participant

Hi

MIRA perhaps is speculation for the reasoning –however in scleroderma it is mentioned in Henrys scleroderma book

Richie

richie
    Participant

Hi

Conversely –where are the published studies supporting Marshalls dosing suggestion

richie

John McDonald
    Participant

I'll find my scleroderma book and have a look. Maybe it was Dr. T who designed the daily dosing regimen, the so-called Harvard Protocol, to eliminate IVs. But that protocol was explicitly designed by T for scleroderma wasn't it? My challenge is simply, where did you get that notion of daily dosing vs. IV's?  I know that docs right out of medical school have been taught BID dosing for any uses of Minocycline. It just feels right to them based on what they have been taught. BID Minocycline is thinking inside the box, not outside.

Marshall's papers are here: http://www.marshallprotocol.com/forum2/2274.html.

They articulate their philosophy respecting declining serum levels of Minocycline here: http://www.marshallprotocol.com/forum32/4819.html

As to whether there are clinical studies to support that, I doubt it but otherwise have no idea. It does seem to work though. I and loads of others including many in our own cohort at RBF have definitely experienced herxing on the 2nd and 3rd day after dosing.

By the way Richie, you are looking great. Absolutely the picture of health.

edited for spelling

richie
    Participant

Hi

I think MIRA came first then T wanted to try it on scleroderma –that achieved greater success than even MIRA–

Richie

fastspinW
    Participant

John,

I don't know which came first, the Chicken, or the Egg, but I can tell you that getting Dr. T to talk about the difference between daily and pulse dosing is a much tougher proposition than determining the Chicken/Egg question.

Best,
    Bikerhiker

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘ The case for daily dosing?’ is closed to new replies.