Home Forums General Discussion Terrible Flares since getting 2nd vaccine…help?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Roberta
    Participant

I have been on Minocin since 2014 100mg M-W-F and then added Azithromycin 500mg T-T-S several years later. It worked well until March 2021 after I got the second Covid vaccine. Since then I have had to resort to several short medrol packs and multiple cortisone shots. I never had knee or hip involvement before and now I do.The pain moves all over my body now and mornings are the worst. I started seeing a functional medicine person who says I have leaky gut and suffer from Malabsorption and has put me on digestive enzymes and an anti-inflammatory diet (which Ive pretty much been doing for years). She isn’t a fan of antibiotics. I’ve moved to a new state and now have an appointment with a new rheumatologist next week but I’m pretty sure they won’t be a fan of AP since it’s not listed anywhere on their site or paperwork. I’m feeling so desperate because of the horrible morning pain I’m experiencing and have been relying on Motrin and 5mg of prednesone when it’s really bad. None of it lasts. My old rheumy told me to add another minocin on M-W-F and to take SPM Active for pain. I haven’t tried that yet. Does anyone have any experience like this?? I’m feeling so confused and anxious about seeing a traditional rheumatologist> Help??

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Roberta,

I am in a similar situation. My arthritis returned after catching COVID-19 in early 2020. Fortunately, only my hands and feet seem to be affected this time. Unfortunately, though, in other ways it’s worse this time around — it appears that I may have some permanent joint damage in my right index finger.

To control the inflammation I have been using MSM and herbs. Occasionally I’ve used 5 mg of prednisolone or an NSAID (400 mg of etodolac). I don’t use an NSAID very often because I am trying to spare my kidneys, liver, and stomach.

The MSM I take three times a day, and the herbs once or twice a day. The herbs I am using are ginseng, devil’s claw, and yucca. I rotate the herbs because I’ve found that if I use an herb continuously for an extended period of time it eventually becomes ineffective. Because yucca is estrogenic, women who have an elevated risk of developing breast cancer should probably not use it unless it has been recommended by a physician. Men should probably also avoid it or use it only occasionally.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Roberta
    Participant

Thank you Phil for your response. Sorry that you have had a rough go too. I had not thought about MSM before, nor have I taken any herbs. I’m going to ask my functional medicine person about adding these. Do you happen to know where I find the info to take to this new rheumatologist about the AP protocol? Thank you again.

Linda L
    Participant

Phil,
    How much of MSM do you take? Thank you.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Linda,

Phil,
    How much of MSM do you take? Thank you.

I take 6 g (grams) of MSM crystals in my first cup of coffee, and then another 6 g of MSM crystals several hours later in my second cup of coffee. I add the MSM after the coffee is cool enough to drink. With my dinner, I take 2 to 3 grams of MSM (capsules) in divided doses. I take a smaller dose with dinner because I came across some information that seemed to imply that MSM taken near bedtime can interfere with sleep.

The dose I take is higher than what is recommended; however, it is comparable to the doses used by other people who have used MSM successfully. Since MSM is very safe, I am comfortable doing this, at least on a temporary basis. Also, because my joints feel better now than they did six months ago, I will probably start reducing my MSM dose soon.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.