Home Forums General Discussion Tamiflu

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    leerobert
    Participant

Hi,

I just got diagnosed with influenza A and they are recommending my husband take Tamiflu for prevention. He has RA and is currently on oral clindamycin weekly for his AP therapy. He is doing well right now and don’t want to add in anything that is going to cause a flare!! Any feedback on Tamiflu would be appreciated? Thanks.

RA diagnosis 2015 - positive anti-CCP. Currently Clarithromycin 500 mg daily; Turmeric supplement; probiotic; fish oil; vitamin D3; MSM. Minocycline therapy from 2015-2017 until developing sensitivities. Gluten free and dairy free diet. Severe dairy intolerance. Tested positive for M. pneumoniae igG

Airen
    Participant

I had a very interesting experience with Tamiflu! My husband and I both had the flu during Christmas 2014…I think. I was newly diagnosed with RA and was in a WORLD OF PAIN. I hurt EVERYWHERE and could barely care for myself. I was on an elimination diet at the time trying to “naturally” help the pain by removing inflammatory foods etc. I did not start AP until July of 2015. I took Tamiflu and after one day of being on it ALL MY PAIN WAS GONE. I did very well on Tamiflu…at the time taking NOTHING for the pain, not even Advil or Prednisone. I took one dose of Tamiflu and thought I was cured. I have since learned that it probably helped kill some of the bacteria associated with my RA. Honestly, though you never know how it will affect your husband because we are all different. I just wanted to let you know what my experience was. I am doing well on AP, been on it for 2.5 years or so now and have been in remission for quite a while. If I got the flu again, I would not hesitate to take Tamiflu.

Diagnosed with RA in October 2014, pain started in February 2014
    Started AP in June 2015
    Taking daily: 32.5 mg WP thyroid 6 am, 100 mg mino 9 am, 16.25 mg WP thyroid 2 pm, B Complex for MTHFR mutation 3 pm, Multivitamin 3pm, 100 bil powdered probiotics 6 pm, 5-8,000 iu Vit D 6 pm, 100 mg mino 9 pm

Maz
    Keymaster

Airen, your experience with Tamiflu is amazing – thx for sharing that! Sorry – just have to ask…any hope of jotting us your AP remission story any time soon? 😉

Lee, my two cents – for what it’s worth – is that hopefully Tamiflu will provide protection from a very nasty flu this year. Apparently, it’s a really rotten type, so prevention may be key to helping keep his lungs and overall wellbeing intact.

Hope you get over this flu fast!

Spiffy1

I too have had nothing but positive experiences with it. However both times were before I got sick. But it wiped the flu away after the first tablet because I started it so early. Believe me I will be banging on some doors to find some if needed. I am like Airen, I would not think twice.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

richie
    Participant

Tamiflu is recommended to shorten flu by one day and is also recomended to take if someone in house has flu -claim is it would be effective 80% in preventing flu Also Flu shots are strongly suggested -just curious of the folks above who took flu shot

Airen
    Participant

No flu shot for me that year or the years following. I had one flu shot, pushed on me by my work, maybe 8-10 years ago. Never got the flu shot before that either. I am not against anyone who chooses to get it but I am skeptical of its safety and efficacy. Tamiflu worked very well for my flu symptoms as well. I felt so so sick and one dose and I was well on my way to feeling myself again. Very effective treatment for me.

Maz, since the beginning of this mess, the stories section was my lifeline. I will get my story to roadback!

Diagnosed with RA in October 2014, pain started in February 2014
    Started AP in June 2015
    Taking daily: 32.5 mg WP thyroid 6 am, 100 mg mino 9 am, 16.25 mg WP thyroid 2 pm, B Complex for MTHFR mutation 3 pm, Multivitamin 3pm, 100 bil powdered probiotics 6 pm, 5-8,000 iu Vit D 6 pm, 100 mg mino 9 pm

Spiffy1

Airen like you it nipped it in the bud overnight on two different occasions. Both times I was taking care of my husband and began to develop fever, fatigue, etc. Took one pill and woke up the next day perfect. I suffered none of the side effects. My body seems to handle it well. Or at least my body of a decade a go did. I took it another time prophylactically and developed no symptoms so it either saved me or was not necessary. Of course it is not the answer for everyone. I know some of the people who have died from complications of the flu this year were on Tamiflu. So I think it depends a lot on the flu strain and the person. I do not take the flu shot. My excuse is that I am allergic to eggs, but there are just too many things that bother me about it. The mercury in it would be enough to stop me. They call it thermerosal (not spelled correctly I am sure) but it contains mercury. My dad had a bad reaction to the shingles vaccine so he was told never to take the flu shot again. Which my dad had pulmonary hypertension so that told me a lot about the flu shot right there. My brother in law’s father in law got Guillan Barre syndrome from it and I watched him go downhill. It is just my personal experience that would keep me from it but I believe people with the right genetics may do very well on it. My husband is one that seems to do okay on it and does seem to be healthier with it than without, I guess. So it is just one of those personal choices we have to make. I do wish it could be more effective each year than it is. If you are going to get it you certainly should not get the flu! Airen, would you PM and give me an update on you? Would love to hear it. Or share with all of us! You are an inspiration with getting your RA Factor negative. My last check was in September and mine was 25 down from 71. I do wonder what it is now. I feel like my dental work and upcoming mammogram will definitely push it back up because of stress and winter but right now I am feeling really well.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin

leerobert
    Participant

Thanks for everyone’s feedback. My husband did take the Tamiflu and so far he is doing well. No flu shot here either. Like Airen, I am also skeptical of its safety and efficacy. The vaccine this current flu season is only suppose to be 10-30% effective. Even though I came down with the flu this season, I still stand behind my decision to not get vaccinated. I work in a clinic and even the patients who were vaccinated are getting influenza. The flu vaccine is a personal choice and everyone has to make the decision they think is best. Four years ago, I was working remotely for a local hospital and they mandated that all employees receive a flu shot. Since I was working out of my house and not in direct patient care, I tried to fight the flu shot mandate. I finally was told the new flu shot policy was a mandate from the government and if they did not have a certain percentage of compliance, the hospital’s Medicare reimbursement would be less. I don’t work for that hospital anymore and now work for a local clinic where I still have a choice. Politics and money always seem to be the driver!

RA diagnosis 2015 - positive anti-CCP. Currently Clarithromycin 500 mg daily; Turmeric supplement; probiotic; fish oil; vitamin D3; MSM. Minocycline therapy from 2015-2017 until developing sensitivities. Gluten free and dairy free diet. Severe dairy intolerance. Tested positive for M. pneumoniae igG

Spiffy1

Always follow the money. Always.

Linda L
    Participant

There is a very interesting article about Tamiflu on this website
    https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2018/01/29/oseltamivir-tamiflu-did-not-work-what-went-wrong/?utm_source=The+People%27s+Pharmacy+Newsletter&utm_cam
    Copy and paste.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

aboyer
    Participant

Lee

What dose of clindamycin is your husband taking for his RA?

Diagnosed with severe RA 12 years ago
    Tested positive for M. pneumoniae and C. pneumoniae

Current meds: Kineret 100mg, doxycycline 50mg, cbd oil, and celebrex

Supplements: fish oil, vitamin b12, folate, b6, iron, selenium, zinc, vitamin c, and biotin

leerobert
    Participant

He is taking 1200 mg 1 day per week. He was on minocycline for 2 years and had done really well on it before developing problems on it which was disheartening . He has been on the clindamycin about 1 month now. His AP doctor wants to add in doxycycline to the therapy, but if he continues to do well with just the clindamycin, he said we don’t have to.

Linda L
    Participant

I’ve been always thinking that Tamiflu is vaccination only, not being used as tablets for influenza.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Spiffy1

If I remember correctly it is a pill that you take once maybe twice a day for like five or so days. I cannot remember the specifics.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.