Home Forums General Discussion Taking Celebrex?? Advice please!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    bsnyder
    Participant

Initially, I had AP for five years the last three of which I was on AP. I TOTALLY recovered and was pain and I thought arthritis-free for five years. Unfortunately I stopped taking the AP due to my skin starting to get dark patches (I have since learned from Dr. S that I could have tried Doxy at that point to deal with the dark patches) and the arthritis returned. I have been fighting it for the past three years, the last two years taking 100mg Mino 2X daily. Was in a continual herx, then about a month ago decided to go back to the previous dose that had worked for me years ago – 100 mg Mino MWF. Dr. S also added Zithro T/Sat. I also went to Ida Grove and had the IV AP.

Here’s my question which hopefully some of you successful old-timers can answer. For the past two years I have been trying to manage the pain and swelling myself with 800 mg ibuprofin 2-3 times a day which really didn’t work all that well. I did this since the first go round with arthritis in which I went to a reumatologist and went through MANY different heavy duty drugs with NO success in the long term so I was afraid to go back to a Reumy.

My knees swelled up like baseballs a few months ago after having a crown replaced over an old, stinky root canal. I had to do something about the knee swelling so my primary care doc referred me to an orthopedic PA who drained my knees (yea!) and gave my Celebrex. I LOVE the Celebrex as it helps me feel like I have NO pain, but I am also afraid of it.

Do you who have been around for awhile think that in taking Celebrex my body will get to where it can’t feel normal and pain-free without it, or do you think it is actually helpful to take it as it allows the AP to get into my swollen joints? I would appreciate your wisdom as I have been taking the Celebrex as little as possible, like every second or third day but my pain and swelling has been increasing without it. When I DO take it I am totally pain free! Do you who have experience think taking the Celebrex is good or not so good? Thanks so much in advance for your wisdom. I need to arrive at a general philosophy about taking it that I can live with.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Root canals are almost always infected despite what the dentists say.I know that A Friend will have some info on that for you.I could not get AP to work for me until I had my one and only removed.That was at least 14 years ago and yes,I hope blue spots also.I prefer that to the SD.

bsnyder
    Participant

Hi Lynne,

Thanks for the encouragement regarding the root canal. Sometimes in trying to get well you try so many things and the docs/dentists seem to try and make you feel crazy. I just couldn’t believe how much the root canal stank after they removed the broken crown! The stench filled the room! I couldn’t see how having whatever that was in my gums could be healthy for me.

With regard to the blue/blackish facial spots when I went to see Dr. S recently he said that instead of just quitting the AP when I did I could have tried Doxy as it supposedly doesn’t cause the skin discolorations and is a good second line against the arthritis. Next time I won’t quit the AP thinking I am “healed” I will switch to the Doxy if I get the blue/black spotches again.

If your friend could send me that info on the root canals I would really appreciate it. Good luck battling the Lyme. AP should do it hopefully.

Doctor’s full name removed as per RBF Guidelines. Thanks for your understanding. RBFV

richie
    Participant

Hi Have you ever tried Aleve ? Celebrex has too many issues for me —
    richie

DianeTexas
    Participant

I have had great success taking Pentoxifylline for inflammation. Read a great deal about it on Life Extension site. Low to no side effects (I have had none) and cheap. Luckliy I have a great GP dr. that would let me try it out.

Anonymous
    Participant

Brand name Aleve, same as Naproxen or Naprosyn must be taken with medications which reduce the amount of acid in order to protect your stomach. My rheumy told me so. I take it for years with Zantac.
    Linda L.

bsnyder
    Participant

Thanks for all of your great info! I think I will try Aleve next. I think I even have some generic Naproxin. I appreciate the advice!

mikana
    Participant

in reading your progress I was wondering what the purpose of the baking soda was?

bsnyder
    Participant

My body is too acidic which can cause joint issues. I have started drinking a glass of water in the morning and the evening with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar plus 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. I also add a little tart cherrie juice as the concoction tastes pretty bad. This remedy is listed at earthclinic.com. So far, it is working VERY well. Within two days my ph went from acidic to within the correct range.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I have a friend whose elderly mother took Celebrex and had intestinal bleeding. Must be careful.

judy cash
    Participant

Have you talked to Dr. S. about your problems?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.