Home Forums General Discussion Surgery and Back on Mino

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 16 years ago by Maz.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sydnie
    Participant

Hi All

Lovely new bulletin board..congrats to all involved. Need some advice from you wonderful people.

Started on Minocycline ( 100mg MWF)for 4 months (Aug- Nov) last year for Sjogrens.  Felt really well …No drastic changes or herx ..symptoms just gradually disappeared mostly apart from pain in right hip constantly. 

Started on Minocyline due to Minocin being unavailble here in UK until Dec.  Was lucky enough to start on Minocin on 3rd Dec (100mg MWF). I noticed small differances namley diagnosed with imflammation of blood vessells in eyes when my GP referred me to hospital for blood shot eyes. I took this as a positive that Minocin was getting deeper than Mincycline so didnt worry.

Stayed on Minocin for about 4 weeks before I was unexpectadley admitted to hospital for a blockage in my bowel In Jan this year.  During this time I wasnt holding anything down so I stopped taking Mino..also in drastic abdominal pain so wasnt really thinking to be honest.  Had surgery to remove offending obstruction and have been recouperating for the last 10 weeks.  During this time off mino didnt really experience many symptoms.

So started back on Minocin on 19th March and since then had many aches and pains..a lot of my old symptoms are returning..UV aversion..pains..ringing in ears, numbness in limbs and a new symptoms of a lot of stiffness in knees, neck and right hip which it has not been before…also heart palps back after 6 months!

Thanks for staying this far…so my question is have I done damage by being off mino for 2 months..am i back to square one as Ive now read if you come off it its not so effective 2nd time around.  Or do you think the Mino is just working a bit deeper than the Minocycline and bringing old symptoms to fore in herx…Im a bit concerned about this as I was so well on the Minocyline initially.

Hope you can help and thanks for the long post!

S :roll-laugh:

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=289]Sydnie[/user] wrote:

So started back on Minocin on 19th March and since then had many aches and pains..a lot of my old symptoms are returning..UV aversion..pains..ringing in ears, numbness in limbs and a new symptoms of a lot of stiffness in knees, neck and right hip which it has not been before…also heart palps back after 6 months!

Hi Sydnie,

Sorry to hear about troubles and do hope the bowel obstruction is now a thing of the past.

Just having a surgery puts a lot of stress on the body, so this could well be contributing to your increased herxing this time around. Also, although you didn't mention the nature of the actual bowel obstruction, it may be relevant to mention that any kind of digestive blockage can causes a backup of waste in the gut and slowed elimination. Many of us have leaky gut syndrome and, when waste movement through the gut becomes slowed, everything stagnates and toxins get circulated, reabsorbed and recirculated again. Keeping ourselves “regular” so to speak goes a long way towards expelling these nasty toxins.

There are things you can do to keep yourself regular (maybe check with your GP especially as you just as surgery on your bowel)…like eating more roughage, taking a magnesium citrate product (something like Oxypowder or Natural Calm, if you can get these in the UK), a psyllium product, etc. Some people find relief from 'home-made' coffee enemas or professional colonics (but you should definitely check with doc before trying these as they'd be more invasive to your healing bowel). A naturopathic doctor may be able to help with this side of things.

In addition, you could research detox methods to help clear these out….sauna, daily lemon/olive oil detox drink, foods/supplements with lots of antioxidants, etc. These are just a few things that come immediately to mind…perhaps others will be able to add some ideas for you.  

You've been back on mino for a very short time, so this is most likely a round of herxing, especially as you were doing well before recommencing AP. That's a good sign you're getting to those bugs! YAY!

Peace, Maz

Sydnie
    Participant

Hi Maz

Thanks so much for your advice. Bowel operation seemed to have sorted all problem but I am definately focused on keeping regular …didnt relate to flushing out those toxins so I thank you so much for the ideas on this.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for keeping me positive in this…

Every good wish to you

S

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Sydnie,

Meant to ask before. Are you also taking a good probiotic daily? If you are already taking one, it wouldn't hurt to increase your dose for a while, as well as to add some natural, plain, organic, sugar and asparatame-free yoghurt. I think they do the Greek variety in UK? This will also help keep up the good fauna in your gut and keep things moving.

Hope you feel better soon!

Peace, Maz

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ Surgery and Back on Mino’ is closed to new replies.