Home Forums General Discussion Sulfasalazine

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    aboyer
    Participant

I am taking doxycycline 50 mg for RA. I would like to start taking sulfasalazine along with it because of the pain. Is there a best time to take both? I would like advise on how to take the 2. Also, I have taken the doxy at night before and it seems the next day around lunch time I get really fatigued and sleepy. Is this a side effect from the doxy?

Diagnosed with severe RA 12 years ago
    Tested positive for M. pneumoniae and C. pneumoniae

Current meds: Kineret 100mg, doxycycline 50mg, cbd oil, and celebrex

Supplements: fish oil, vitamin b12, folate, b6, iron, selenium, zinc, vitamin c, and biotin

jasregadoo

I take Sulfasalazine and Minocycline. I take my Sulfasalazine with breakfast and dinner, and my Minocycline a couple of hours after. I’ve not been on Doxy, but I suspect it’s similar to Mino, and for the first few months I was very tired in the afternoon. I am still not above taking a nap if I need it, but I’ve always been a fan of naps, so it may not be the Mino. I’ve been on Mino for about a year and a half now. Sulfasalazine a bit longer than that.

aboyer
    Participant

How long did it take to feel some relief from both? I can’t seem to tolerate mino very well. I start getting brain fog and my head feels funny on it.

Supplements: fish oil, vitamin b12, folate, b6, iron, selenium, zinc, vitamin c, and biotin

aboyer
    Participant

I also have a double mthfr mutation, so I’m not sure if that will make a difference with the doxy and sulfasalazine. I do take a folate supplement.

jasregadoo

It took me about 3 months to start feeling a difference. I also had brain fog. I started at 100 mg 2x a day, felt horrible, and cut back to 100mg 1x a day, 3 times a week. Then I gradually increased to 100mg BID.

I am ignorant of MTHFR, but I know there are others here who know of such things. 🙂

Maz
    Keymaster

I also have a double mthfr mutation, so I’m not sure if that will make a difference with the doxy and sulfasalazine. I do take a folate supplement.

Hi aboyer,

You likely are already aware of this as you’ve been tested for the MTHFR gene mutation, but for others who may be interested, people with the C677T polymorphism are susceptible to methotrexate toxicity. Am guessing this is why you elected to use sulphasalazine instead and use activated folate as a supplement.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2673494/

aboyer
    Participant

Maz, I have a double mutation of C677T so I couldn’t tolerate methotrexate, it would give me bad pvcs. I know that sulfasalazine is a folate inhibitor as well, and really don’t want to take it. I’m just in a lot of pain. I did really well on minocycline when I was first diagnosed 11 year ago, but now even 50 mg gives me problems with head pressure. Do you know if they make minocycline less than 50mg?

I also read that doxycycline is not supposed to be taken close to b vitamins.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.