Home Forums General Discussion Study: Vitamins Do Nothing

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tiff
    Participant

I mentioned the recent study about vitamin B and cancer in another post.  Here is another example of the lack of evidence that vitamins C and E taken en mass do any good but might, in fact, be harmful.  It seems to me like these studies come out only a few year AFTER they have had lots of media attention for how much good they do.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,449288,00.html

DragonSlayer
    Participant

Hi, Tiff:

Soon we will hear more about the fact that “vitamins do not stop plague!”

This nonsense about vitamins lack of effectiveness is a way of getting the population affiliated with passing laws against them as they are considering (and even doing, to some extent) in Europe right now.

The doctors' whose mean age at mortality is 58 want us to go to them for advice!  AND, eventually, for prescriptions even for trace minerals and vitamins that we should be getting in our foods, but are not–thanks to modern farming and processing techniques.  They already have a monopoly on antibiotics I can cross the border and get without a prescription, but that is not enough!

With the new administration will come regulations that we never anticipated as we join lockstep with the New World Order; it will soon not be so gradual as it has been previously.

Regards,
    John

Tiff
    Participant

John,

I tend to agree with you, but if we can't trust “scientific” studies, then we are dead in the water because the makers of supplements have something to gain, too.  Who are we to believe? 

DragonSlayer
    Participant

Hi, Tiff:

I watch for this kind of thing, and believe results–like Jack LaLanne who said he takes everything; it is tough to argue with that level of success.  Dr. Wallach is still going strong, Wayne Green–basically a raw foodist but takes supplements.  Nearly all the big-time actors of the '50s were going to a physician who prescribed vitamins to the tune of over $1K/month–back in those days.  So many have lived longer (and healthier) than average that I believe there was something to it.

So, the 'scientific' papers are too often suspect, but if someone like Prussiner or other Nobel laureate publishes, it will automatically be accepted, whether it is real or just another Mad Cow scare.  Notice there is yet no epidemic of vCJD in Southern England and no such thing as any prion disease, but the FDA will continue their hand-waiving and claim they are doing such a good job protecting us–yeah, from nothing.

There are plenty of non-affiliated academic studies regarding the use of supplements and nearly all are positive, most imply that upward revision of RDAs would decrease disease in the population.

Most of the news is really advertising–that is the brainwashing it takes to alter the behavior of a people enough to vote for what is logically against their own interests; a steady march over the cliff.

Regards,
    John

Joe M
    Participant

Hi Dragon,

I completely agree that the news is nothing more than propaganda for one of the political parties in this country. 

Regarding supplements, I do believe scientific studies have credibility, but they have to be interpreted with a critical eye.  Studying large groups of people is more convincing, in my mind, than anecdotal stories of one person.  The role of genetics can not be underestimated.  Jack Lalane might have lived just as long without supplements, for example.  There is a nurse here in Des Moines who wrote a letter to the newspaper after she was diagnosed with breast cancer.  The letter said she had done everything the “right” way – never smoked, exercised, took vitamins, watched her weight, etc and still ended up with breast cancer in her 40's.  For every Jack Lalane there is probably someone like this nurse. 

The average life expentacy is just that, an average.  Like all statistics, there is a bell curve with some people living much longer and some living much shorter.  It's too easy to say supplements are directly related to a longer life.  Just my opinion.

Joe

Tiff
    Participant

I feel like the nurse, Joe.  It is so unfair, and it makes you really angry when you do things “right” and don't get the “right” results.  It has been easy to become jaded.   I want to feel in control, but I wonder at times if I have any control.  I guess the good old serenity prayer is in order.

Thanks for the thoughts guys!

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Guys –  JMO, but I would tend to be wary of reading too much into a summary of a study by Fox News. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

davew
    Participant

“but I would tend to be wary of reading too much into a summary of a study by Fox News.”

:)[/color]

I tend to take those article with a grain of salt anyway.

I hope you are having a great day!

Dave

Tiff
    Participant

OMG, I actually thought to myself, “Gee, maybe I should do a quick search to find this information from some other source because I know someone will see FOX news and think it isn't a good source.”  Then I though I was being really paranoid!  Guess I am right about ALL my paranoid ideas!  Doesn't bode well for the future because I have some really scary thoughts lurking that I have been hoping I am wrong about!

Maybe I need to take a long media break.  I'm exhausted.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘ Study: Vitamins Do Nothing’ is closed to new replies.